Did Anyone See The Whiska's And Pedigree Set Up At Melb Show?

ash&elar

The whiska's set up from what i could tell was all purebred Bengal cats and kittens with a big glass box full of about 6 kittens with holes in the top for ppl to put toys in and play with the kittens (while looking i seen a guy about 25 poke his sun glasses end through the gap in one of the door and try to poke at a kitten to wake it up for his gf) and the puppies where the same with one at a time in a wire pen for ppl to pat. seemed pretty unfair on the animals (oh there was signs on the glass pens saying they were air conditioned) but some ppl running it were getting the animals out to be petted by the public, though it would be unsafe for young animals without proper vaccs etc. Idk i just thought it was a lil mean, we all hate petshops for selling the animals and keeping them in such cages but its ok to do it to sell produce?

our friends had there puppies in there a few years ago and they were only on show for a few hours then they swapped them and the owners are very close by and the pups were well looked after it is promoting pure breed dogs to the public nothing like a pet shop and all pups had to be fully vacanated

We had our rescue dogs and puppies at the Brisbane show and the dogs had a ball. We displayed for four days (not in a row). I was exhausted but the dogs loved it. They were rotated through and given breaks. Our pups were too big for the display cases so I borrowed a show trolley and had one up on the top being petted and one underneath having a snooze.

All animals had their vaccinations.

our friends had there puppies in there a few years ago and they were only on show for a few hours then they swapped them and the owners are very close by and the pups were well looked after it is promoting pure breed dogs to the public nothing like a pet shop and all pups had to be fully vacanated

These were crosses i heard the lady sitting in the pen with the one pup tell someone they were a mix of staffy/cattle dog/kelpie. And from what i could tell it was to promote the use of pal there was a heap of pal products and the pups were all using pal things. Also the cats were using whiska's sleeping bags and everyone was buying them. Hopefully like you said they got plenty of breaks, the pups seemed happy enough, so did the kittens it just seemed like the wrong idea to give off with the animals in the glass pens like at petshops.

The set up made me so upset. :mad

NONE of the cats had any water left when we were there, I went over and told one of the people at the Whiskas stand and she said that she would top them up when she has a chance.. (she then went back to gas-bagging with one of the other people who was running the stall)

The bengal kittens in the big cage apparently had no water "because bengals like water too much and we have to spend too much time refilling the bowl over and over" .. I think that I would prefer to have the kittens have water and keep refilling it, rather then being stuck in a hot glass box with no water at all.. :o

As for the puppies, they were shelter puppies. The particular pups that were in the glass boxes on the day that we were that were actually only rescued the night before!

So those pups went straight from a stressful environment to being stuck in a glass box and being poked and prodded by people!

And I highly doubt that they would have all been vaccinated between the time that they were rescued at night to being taken to the show early in the morning. Not to mention the wormy belly. :o

Sorry rant over, just made me terribly upset :eek:

ETA: We went back to the Pet Pavilion a number of times during the day and none of the pups were ever seen to be rotated :D

Edited by MavericksMission

We had our rescue dogs and puppies at the Brisbane show and the dogs had a ball. We displayed for four days (not in a row). I was exhausted but the dogs loved it. They were rotated through and given breaks. Our pups were too big for the display cases so I borrowed a show trolley and had one up on the top being petted and one underneath having a snooze.

All animals had their vaccinations.

Well at least they had fun then, I was just thinking it would give off the wrong impression them being in the same pens/enclosures as what you see at a petshop.

I was also at the Brisbane show for the four days and we certainly wouldnt have used the dogs if they were stressed. We had plans in place that at any time we could pull a dog out and have it transported back to my place but they were all fine. All dogs that we took were rescue dogs (either recently adopted or available for adoption) and they loved all the pats.

They had plenty of loo breaks and also time out the back away from the public.

The girls that were on the Brisbane stand that worked for Pedigree said they do all the Australian shows so I am sure that if you voiced your concerns to one of them they would have been willing to help as they were so good to us in Brisbane.

I know that the cats owners where there, as one opened the cage and got his cat out whilst we were there.

while we were there they also replaced all the newspaper in the dog cages.

there was some information about rescues and how you can help pet rescue at the pal stand.

not saying I agree with the set up, just saying it wasnt all bad :)

I know that the cats owners where there, as one opened the cage and got his cat out whilst we were there.

while we were there they also replaced all the newspaper in the dog cages.

there was some information about rescues and how you can help pet rescue at the pal stand.

not saying I agree with the set up, just saying it wasnt all bad :grouphug:

Yeah idk I dont think I really had a prob with the whole thing.... just it did look bad to me with them being in the same sort of set up as a petshop.

I was also at the Brisbane show for the four days and we certainly wouldnt have used the dogs if they were stressed. We had plans in place that at any time we could pull a dog out and have it transported back to my place but they were all fine. All dogs that we took were rescue dogs (either recently adopted or available for adoption) and they loved all the pats.

They had plenty of loo breaks and also time out the back away from the public.

The girls that were on the Brisbane stand that worked for Pedigree said they do all the Australian shows so I am sure that if you voiced your concerns to one of them they would have been willing to help as they were so good to us in Brisbane.

Yeah I guess I shouldn't of been so judgemental, Its just the whole look of the set up really put me off. It seemed to me that they were selling the products at the animals expense but obviously I was wrong. Its a good thing if they were trying to educate the public about such things as rescue and adopting pets :grouphug:

Yep, I saw them, cross bred pups in glass c ages exactly the same as pets shops

I presumed they were rescues, but have no idea.

I didn't think much of it - if it is wrong for pet shops, it's wrong for any public display.. It's wrong for the same reasons in both places.

And while I am bitching, I was most unimpressed about the ducks and fowls in their pavilion with no water. NO water.

And they were thirsty.

Edited by Jed

Yep, I saw them, cross bred pups in glass c ages exactly the same as pets shops

I presumed they were rescues, but have no idea.

I didn't think much of it - if it is wrong for pet shops, it's wrong for any public display.. It's wrong for the same reasons in both places.

And while I am bitching, I was most unimpressed about the ducks and fowls in their pavilion with no water. NO water.

And they were thirsty.

Yes seen a few animals in the large barn that looked a bit stressed, esp the ewe that had just given birth and was on display she was beathing quicky and ears were darking around so were her eyes and she was backing into the corner where the lamb was.

not exactly the same as pet shops - the cats were only in there for brief periods, were different ones each day (I know as I have several breeder friends who had different cats in there on different days), and at the end of it they went home again with their owners. If we are promoting breeds, as the cat stand was, far happier they are like this, so that they can't be stolen, and that the actual cat show cats were safely behind a fence and well out of range of people poking at them and taking one.