October Photo Challenge - All Welcome

Ashanali

I know most people will be working on photo 5 entries this month, so the challenge is inspired by Canon Photo 5

Don't post the images you're actually entering (unless you want to), however you may want to post shots that haven't worked for whatever reason and maybe talk about why you think they haven't worked and what you would like to improve.

For those who don't have a photo 5 box, you can check out the briefs here

http://www1.canon.com.au/worldofeos/photo5/briefs/

and for those who want to check out some of the work from last year, there is a little video at this link:

http://www1.canon.com.au/worldofeos/photo5/home/

(if you pause it at 1.01, you see a flash of our very own BlackLabrador wrapped up in bandages. :love: )

Photo 5 is fun even if you don't enter. So get creative and enjoy the month.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!!!

My new camera arrives next week so now I'm trying to decide if I get started with the 450D and wait for the new one to arrive or if I just try to hone in on what I want to do with the briefs and start next weekend. I think it's going to be a lot more theatrical for me this year than last year so I'll have to get my butt into gear organising some things :love:

• 2 weeks later...

Lol at iltby

Makes me want to have one of these cameras.

For the eyedropper one - I think I'd want to drop onto something like a rain substitute, first drops into dust, or on a rose or other pretty flower or spider web ideally with pretty spider included.

Or I'd drop colours into clear water in a vase or something and photograph that - but it would look similar to their incense one.

Not sure about the bubble gum one. I think I'd have a picture of someone sitting on a chair so you can see the bubble gum stuck to the bottom of the chair... Or someone walking with bubble gum stuck between their shoe and the pavement.

Really not sure about the incense one. If you could get a dog to blow smoke rings through it? NFI really.

No idea about the confetti or sound ones. I've seen their drops on the speakers pix. Confetti goes with celebrations I suppose. Or I'd just open the hole punch in the office so it goes everywhere and try to capture that at high speed. Like a rebellion against the formality of the office cubical farm. If you could get more than one hole punch going at once (when the boss isn't looking...)

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

I was just playing around with my new camera - i had an idea of using Remy for the insence one and simulating a bushfire with birds fleeing from it but Rem is kind of insane (living in pets paradise on one of those perches where everyone can touch you for over a year will do that to a bird) and was not only completely freaked out by the incense stick (when it wasn't lit) but also the sound of the camera shutter. Needless to say, I've changed my idea :(

I did manage to get this one though - not too bad considering it was shot at 2000ISO with horrible lighting conditions. My 450D didn't even allow me to shoot at 2000ISO - it was too noisy to use at 400ISO so i shot everything on the 450D at 100. :( I'm just happy that rem doesn't look like he's about to fly away! In most of them his wings are slightly open.

5070951793_6abdab1973_z.jpg

Edited by ~*Shell*~

Shell

Can you turn the shutter sound off? With most digital devices (eg my phone), the sound is completely artificial and for your benefit only. Then again my phone isn't an SLR so maybe they're different.

I thought incense sticks looked much the same as bird perches... defintely nuts. Or maybe if there were nuts stuck to it, he'd be more interested?

Shell - awesome idea and superb shot. Hopefully you can figure out a way around it.

I am trying to do the droplet one, but I seriously have very little interest in macro and I am totally uninspired :( So I thought I would mix up some food dyes and let the boys go for it in the bath with little syringes. Well, it was a complete fail. They were both scared of the dye. Weird kids. So I managed to get a few shots before they wanted me to wash the dye off.

I am leaning towards submitting this one, but it's a tad macabre and totally not my style at all:

5074212499_4d5f8e2181_z.jpg

Then there's these:

5074809884_2c74110543_z.jpg

5074809670_304372353d_z.jpg

Shell

Can you turn the shutter sound off? With most digital devices (eg my phone), the sound is completely artificial and for your benefit only. Then again my phone isn't an SLR so maybe they're different.

I thought incense sticks looked much the same as bird perches... defintely nuts. Or maybe if there were nuts stuck to it, he'd be more interested?

He's a strange one - if i was going to do it, i would just use Lucius, my other cockatiel. He's not as pretty in black and white as Rem is though considering he's a normal grey, yellow and white with orange cheeks.

Rem is grey and white with beautifully balanced markings. He photographs nicely in black and white (not that it happens very often!) which is awesome and a curse at the same time!

Shell - awesome idea and superb shot. Hopefully you can figure out a way around it.

I am trying to do the droplet one, but I seriously have very little interest in macro and I am totally uninspired :( So I thought I would mix up some food dyes and let the boys go for it in the bath with little syringes. Well, it was a complete fail. They were both scared of the dye. Weird kids. So I managed to get a few shots before they wanted me to wash the dye off.

I spent hours trying to think of an idea for it! I just don't do macro photography (probably because i don't own a macro lens) so now I have a different idea! I haven't seen anyone who has it yet to hopefully it'll be original!!

I decided to just change my idea for the smoke brief. Getting Rem and Lucius to do what I need them to do it like pulling teeth anyway!!

I went over to my brother's house to use my niece and nephew for the confetti brief but then Zero was rushed to the vet so I dropped everything (i had only been there 2 minutes and hadn't even looked at getting my camera out yet!) and ran to be by his side :( he's okay but i was freaked out!

I spent hours trying to think of an idea for it! I just don't do macro photography (probably because i don't own a macro lens) so now I have a different idea! I haven't seen anyone who has it yet to hopefully it'll be original!!

the 24-70mm lens, although it isn't a macro, it does a fairly decent job. Also you now have the 5D markII so you can crop like a mad woman. :confused:

Edited by Ashanali

No 24-70mm lens here yet! :) I actually think I might go for the 24-105mm just so i have that overlap with the 70-200mm. I very very rarely shoot at 2.8 so i'm not sure if I'll need the extra. F/4 is usually about where I shoot at (between f/4 and f/6).

Time for some hands on research! I know 2 people with with 24-105 and while i hear it vignettes a bit more than the 24-70, i've also heard that a lot of people prefer it over the 24-70.

I might rent both of them for a week and see what i think. I was to have a look at the 100mm macro too.

Gotta love being able to crop! :cry:

No 24-70mm lens here yet! :) I actually think I might go for the 24-105mm just so i have that overlap with the 70-200mm. I very very rarely shoot at 2.8 so i'm not sure if I'll need the extra. F/4 is usually about where I shoot at (between f/4 and f/6).

Time for some hands on research! I know 2 people with with 24-105 and while i hear it vignettes a bit more than the 24-70, i've also heard that a lot of people prefer it over the 24-70.

I might rent both of them for a week and see what i think. I was to have a look at the 100mm macro too.

Gotta love being able to crop! :cry:

You don't need the overlap with the lenses. The 24-70 and the 70-200 are a perfect workhorse team and the 24-70 has a little more versatility.

I was tossing up the 100mm macro and the 135mm 2.0 recently and after asking for input, I decided to go for the 135mm 2.0. Best decision ever. It doesn't have macro BUT it is so so so so sharp. I can't begin to describe how amazing this lens is. I now prefer it over the 50mm 1.4.

(that being said, I still want to get a macro something and a 24mm prime.)

Back story first:

So I was all like photo 5 yeah! Then I was putting calamne lotion on my mosquito bites (back when I had 114 mozzie bites on my leg) and I was like OMG I can use this! BUT the photos I took just look a bit icky.. and then I made the mistake of looking at other peoples pics and now I have decided it's too hard and I need another year to improve before I am ready!

Anyway here was my attempt:

5077529111_33fafed373_z.jpg

5077528253_69ebde5c10_z.jpg

5078124078_554698f1e3_z.jpg

Yep!! Though I won't be shooting that brief probably until sunday! I need a friend to help and she's busy!

I might try that one this afternoon when I have sleeping children. I've roped my bestie into the bubblegum one tomorrow :laugh: