Black Hawk Holistic Dog Food

pinky11

Guest english.ivy
Hi Jakemon

The Glucosamine in Black Hawk Holistic is sourced from Shark Cartledge.

Regards

Sherel

Im really keen to try BH.

Just asking a question here, so other can see the answer if they are interested.

Is the chondroitin sourced from shark cartilage? Supplements like Sashas Blend use shark cartilage and the product Glyde uses bovine cartilage, so I'm interested in the source BH uses.

The source of the chondroitin is as important to me as buying free range eggs. ;)

I'm curious to hear your reply Jakemon, won't change the what I feed but just curious!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious to hear your reply Jakemon, won't change the what I feed but just curious!

I will still get a bag of puppy formula, but when she gets to adult formula I will beg Sherel to change to cow cartilage! :rofl:

The popularity of shark cartilage initally came from the thought that it prevented cancer. As a source of glucoaminoglycans cow cartilage is just as good, if not superior (mammalian derived). Never costed the two, but logically I'd guess the cow product would be cheaper too. It's a selling point of Glyde over the other joint powders.

Looking forward to trying the BH puppy. I cant change the world, but as an avid scuba diver I like doing my bit.

I will still get a bag of puppy formula, but when she gets to adult formula I will beg Sherel to change to cow cartilage! :rofl:

The popularity of shark cartilage initally came from the thought that it prevented cancer. As a source of glucoaminoglycans cow cartilage is just as good, if not superior (mammalian derived). Never costed the two, but logically I'd guess the cow product would be cheaper too. It's a selling point of Glyde over the other joint powders.

Looking forward to trying the BH puppy. I cant change the world, but as an avid scuba diver I like doing my bit.

I would have thought that the shark cartilage they use would just be a byproduct of the fishing industry & would otherwise just be thrown out after processing the flake. I am sure the sharks are not fished solely for their cartilage, not in this country anyway, nor would endangered species be used. :(

I would have thought that the shark cartilage they use would just be a byproduct of the fishing industry & would otherwise just be thrown out after processing the flake. I am sure the sharks are not fished solely for their cartilage, not in this country anyway, nor would endangered species be used. :(

Sadly, it is internationally unregulated, but I just had a thought while mulling it over. One tiny scoop of, say Glyde, joint powder contains enough chondroitin amoungst the ground chitin shells (glucosamine), green lipped mussels (farmed) and semolina filler then a joint of beef, lamb etc must provide adequate levels of glucoaminoglycans.

Hmmmm so instead of just getting bones for the dogs, but asking the butcher for two leg bones still attached that could be quiet beneficial. Any butchers on DOL??? what happens to the connective tissue? does it get thrown out, or put into sausages :rofl: ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

What food did you change FROM Flaves?

Food is doing my head in. We are thinking of trialling BH now. Was on ProPlan but she began to refuse it, so I swapped to EP Holistic, which she ate but since the swap she has lost weight and I am struggling to keep the weight on her even with feeding Raw in conjunction and going as far as to give her any fatty scraps of meat we don't use for our own consumption (ie. what I can wrestle from the jaws of the Mr.!)

Anyway - thinking of changing to BH. But of course there are the other options of say RC - although I am worried about the stocking problems?

I want a food that is GOOD FOR MY DOG, affordable, she will eat, and provide the best overall body condition. I always feed Raw in conjunction but owning a big dog I believe they need a supplemented feed.

Maybe I'm tired, but I read through this whole thread and it seemed as though the main question as to where the ingredients are sourced was still not answered. I'm curious to know the answer as I am looking to switch over to BH. :)

Maybe I'm tired, but I read through this whole thread and it seemed as though the main question as to where the ingredients are sourced was still not answered. I'm curious to know the answer as I am looking to switch over to BH. :)

The main ingredients are 100% Australian. The only ingredients which may from time to time (depending on availability) come from overseas are some of the micro ingredients such as minerals. I just rang Sherel & checked & I got it from the horse's mouth. Hope this helps. :) Its ingredients are sourced from the human food chain :)

Edited by sheena

Hi Blackdog

BlackHawk is 100% Aust owned by two Aussies, All of our raw ingredients are sourced from Australia, as Sheena has posted occassionally when demand out weighs supply we have had to source our macro ingredients from overseas, but they have to be certified that they are or human consumption it requires 3 certificates which one of has to be from an independant lab, BlackHawk is manufactured every 6 to 8 weeks so we make sure our products are always fresh,

Hope this helps to answer your question

Regards

Sherel

BlackHawk Premium Pet Care

The main ingredients are 100% Australian. The only ingredients which may from time to time (depending on availability) come from overseas are some of the micro ingredients such as minerals. I just rang Sherel & checked & I got it from the horse's mouth. Hope this helps. :) Its ingredients are sourced from the human food chain :)

• 3 weeks later...