How To Keep Weight On A Dog

My friend has a Visla x GSP and she is extremely active. She is also very very hard to keep weight on. I am looking for suggestions to pass on to them.

The dog is desexed and just over a year old. She doesnt like whole chicken carcasses and I have suggested getting the Lenards pet mince as an alternative ie. munched carcasses. She is also fed morning and night, currently she is on a working dog dry food and she has gained a very very small amount of weight but not a lot.

Other than satin balls, does anyone have any other suggestions?

I had great success with Eagle Pack Power (other 'power' foods for performance dogs, lactating bitches etc would work), chicken carcasses and porridge (1/2 cup of oats cooked with water and rice milk added and added to kibble).

This put 6kg on quite easily.

I would not feed satin balls - pancreatitis waiting to happen!

I heard that the Great Barko/Uncle Alber's range is good for adding weight to dogs. It's relatively cheap and there are a few recommendations of the food from this forum. This is just hearsay though.

I've seen a couple of friends put weight on their dogs using EcoPet rolls, but never used them myself, they saw good results though.

I had to put about 5kg on my girl after she under went an elimination diet and then got knocked around by few weeks of sickness. I did it by significantly increasing the amount of dry food she was on (Royal Canin Sensitive, at the time) and made sure her meat source was either chicken wings, lamb or beef. I avoided roo etc, only because it was too lean, but normally roo is in her diet. I'd be adding some eggs a few times a week too.

It took a good 6-8 weeks to get bring her up properly and now I'm just tryng to pinpoint her maintenance diet.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have passed on this link and all the advice. Much appreciated!

we rescued a couple of Rotties both very under weight, one was very pregnant (she gave birth to 14 puppies 12 hours after she arrived) we fed them Barastock working dog or country dog, it didnt take long for them to put the weight back on. Produce stores usally carry the brand or look up Ridleys on the web there is an office here in Pakenham, Vic if you want the ph.no. I can get it for you

It is not uncommon for a 12 month old of these breeds to be "skinny". Indeed I was told that my younger Vizsla 'looked like a rescue' by his breeder around this age as he was extremely active and skinny. I wouldn't stress too much if the dog is healthy and active. It gets easier to keep weight on them when they're older. However, I have found lamb flaps are good for skinny dogs, only in moderation as it can give dogs the runs and you don't want to overload just on fat either. I also increase the number of meals my dogs get when trying to put weight on them, so would add lunch in as well if the owner is able and the dog will eat it.

Edited by FHRP