Changed Sleeping Place

kiesha09

Can you put the crate in another part of the house and further away so you get some sleep? The dogs wont know if they are 3 metres away or 20 metres away. All they know is that they are in a crate and not in the same room as yourself.

I was once told at dog training that the secret is consistancy so if you want to train them not to be on your bed then you cant have the off for a few nights and then on again for a night and then off again.

When we moved, I declared the dogs were no longer sleeping in our room. And I stuck to it. They slept in the rumpus room....each had their own bed, although Benson preferred the couch.

We didn't have Isaak at the time, just the two big ones and my old girl Kassy. Benson was happy enough, Kassy didn't care where she slept as long as she had her bed, but Dusty hated it.

She'd look at me each night when I shut the door like I was breaking her heart.

So...I stuck to it. For 2 weeks. Then I couldnt stand it anymore, so they came back into our room. Now she sleeps on her bed next to my side of the bed, Isaak sleeps next to her and benson sleeps under the bed. Kassy still sleeps in the rumpus room cos she doesn't care, plus she snores.

We are all happy again. They sometimes come up for cuddles before the light goes out, but I rarely have a dog sleeping on my bed anymore.

An update of the new sleeping quarters :D I used my puppy play pen to fence off their beds in the bedroom. Then took them for a big walk at the park so that they would be adequately tired when it came to bed time. When I went to bed they were SO happy to be coming to the bedroom too, with their tails wagging away. One jumped into her bed as soon as I said 'in your bed' but the other wasn't so keen on the idea so I had to pick him up and put him on his bed. All going ok so far.

Turned off the light and......... silence! No banging on the fence. Wohooo!

Fast forward to 4am and bang, bang, bang..... I thought she might need to pee so waited for her to be quiet and then let her out. Nope straight up onto the bed curled up and pretending to be asleep in approx 2 seconds :rofl: Sternly told to get off my bed and into your bed (am not the happiest camper at 4am!) which she did.

More banging at 5am.... told to SHUT UP! Which she did.

7am I woke to the thumping of a wagging tail, up I got and took them both out for breakfast. A much more successful night that before. Once they are more comfortable sleeping in their own beds I might move them to their crates, but will see how things go.

Once thing I know for certain is that their behaviour has changed in the 3 days since I have had them in my bed. So that is a great thing.

Alfie.. N I LI F Nothing In Life Is Free The dog must 'work' for any praise/treats.. no gratuitous pats etc ..just because the dog is breathing , basically.

:rofl:

Dog sits- gets praise

Dog comes up and huffs in your face- dog gets totally ignored.

That sort of thing...

edit- forgot LINK

So no spontaneous affection then?? sounds a bit harsh, I pat my dogs sometimes...just because...life needs more just becauses :D

I have Cavaliers and they were bred to be on the bed, sometimes this gets to be too much, since I work night shift they sleep on the bed with me only during the day, when I go to sleep in the evenings they spend a bit of time with me, when OH comes to bed he puts them in their crates/beds, they are okay with this as it has been a routine since they were puppies.

My GSD spent the first 7 months of his life sleeping in his bed in the family room, when my old dog passed away he stayed out with our Border Collie X as they became close during the final days of the old dogs life. He was happy to cuddle up with her and we left him out on the back patio with her. She has since passed away and he sleeps out there still.

Whatever you decide to do will take persistence and time, but it looks like you are headed in the right direction. :rofl:

I have a final update on the changed sleeping quarters of the pooches. After 4 years of having them sleep in my bed (complete with dirty paws on my doona and leaving sand in the bed) they have now moved quite successfully to their own crates in my room next to the bed :(:laugh::laugh:

They are even quite happy with this arrangement I think. When I open the bedroom door they go straight to their crates and jump straight in and wait for their treat :laugh: and no more banging on the door - well until I so much as open one eye lid in the morning and then apparently its time to get up!

In the mornings while I have a shower and get ready for work they go straight into their crates and watch me get ready and are very happy it seems :)

Lets just see how things go when the BF returns from overseas - he says he's going to perform a 'jailbreak' :D :D

Thank you everyone for all your help. It's much appreciated!