Safe All Natural Weed Killer

bridie

There's nothing much "natural" or garden safe about most dish washing liquids.

Salt - will render the soil infertile - have you ever seen weeds growing on a salt lake? Might be ok on permanent paths, but could cause salt damp problems on pavers (ie they will eventually disintegrate).

I use zero/glyphosate. I'm still unsure about the long term effects, but if you chuck dirt over the plant, it's neutralized (fails to work).

In the garden, I use a thick layer of newspaper (also not natural), and pea straw - maybe natural or not - depending on whether it was grown using organic methods or not. I also know that a thick layer of undiluted chook poo will kill most weeds but it can take a while. So you could put down chook poo then newspaper and then straw and your fruit trees will be happy, though the surfaced rooted things like citrus might not appreciate it.

Peter Cundell recommends putting a wad (biscuit) of pea straw on a weed. And weeds are really easy to pull out of pea straw too.

I've also used boiling water. The long term effects are not so bad - ie the worms and microbes will move back in after the soil cools down.

My dogs would cover themselves in it,just like when I put down Blood & Bone.......rather use to!!lol

Does this work well on Bindi's, i have them everywhere in the yard, kids have to wear shoes :thumbsup:

I'm in Brisbane, too. The bindis have taken over the lawn this season. We used to be able to keep them in control by just digging out any that dared pop up. But now they've come up like carpeting.

Ditto with my front yard in Sydney
MM is this for bugs..ensects?
Yes.

WE ACCIDENTLY spilt turps on some weeds in the back yard.....killed them real good and for ages too.

And after spilling it, I hosed it for about half an hour to make sure the dogs oculdnt lick it up.

In regards to the original post, why are you spraying it on your couch (I am confused), does it clean the couch too?

Edited by lanabanana

WE ACCIDENTLY spilt turps on some weeds in the back yard.....killed them real good and for ages too.

And after spilling it, I hosed it for about half an hour to make sure the dogs oculdnt lick it up.

In regards to the original post, why are you spraying it on your couch (I am confused), does it clean the couch too?

LMAO - couch grass

I tried the boiling water thing on weeds in my pavers. It sent the leaves brown but after a while new leaves etc popped up. I didn't find it all that useful. On the few weeds it did kill (eg thistle!!) I still had to pull the things out and often DIG them out so I would have been better of just doing that in the first place LOL

I couldn't pull all the weeds in my garden!!! I'd be there 24 hours a day till next Easter!

SC there'd be nothing left in the garden!

EXACTLY!!!! :rofl:

LMAO - couch grass

pronounced 'cooch' lanabanana, though the mixture would probably clean the couch as well :rofl:

Does this work well on Bindi's, i have them everywhere in the yard, kids have to wear shoes :rofl:

I'm in Brisbane, too. The bindis have taken over the lawn this season. We used to be able to keep them in control by just digging out any that dared pop up. But now they've come up like carpeting.

must be a SEQ thing.. i too have bindii carpets.. i have pulled literally buckets loads of them and they still reign supreme

h

LMAO - couch grass

LMAO as well....oh dear Lana,the couch not sofa-bed ha ha was strangling my lemon tree.....you certainly think out side the square,I didn't get it until,......clean the couch....what does L mean :rainbowbridge: clean??

Rusty I have the Glyphosate Weed kill also & it is very effective but don't like to use incase of poisening my kidz,rather put up with the weeds....couldn't cop the Bindies though

Edited by bridie

The best way to kill a weed (or any plant for that matter) is to deprive it of sunlight. Plants use chlorophyll (the chemical in their cells that gives them the green colour) to photosynthesize in the presence of sunlight. Without sunlight they cannot photosynthesize and produce sugars which all plants need for growth ie life.

Glyphosate, which is the active ingredient in Roundup, Zero etc, works as it interrupts the process of photosynthesis. That is why it is an effective herbicide. Vinegar is acidic and may have a pH as low as 2 or 3. Your soil should have a pH level of around 5.5 to 7, so overuse will create an acidic soil that will inhibit plant growth. Salt is exactly that, salt, and applying undiliuted salt to your soil will make that soil saline and cause reverse osmosis whereby the moisture is drawn out of the plants to the stronger salt solution in the soil. Plants take up moisture form the soil by the process of osmosis where moisture is drawn from the surrounding environment (eg soil or potting mix) as the plants cells have a stronger saline solution than the soil. Adding excessive salt to the soil will reverse this process. This is exactly how 'fertisliser burn' occurs when too much chemical fertiliser is applied to the garden. Chemical fertiliser is a salt and over application creates a stronger salt solution in the soil than in the plants and moisture is drawn from the plants to the soil resulting in loss of moisture to the plant and the drying out of leaves etc.

Mulching your garden beds will help prevent weed growth, it will not eradicate them altogether, but it will make weeding much easier. Physical removal of weeds in lawns is a good organic way to control them, but it takes time and effort and if you are not prepared to do that then you have no alternative than to use a selective chemical herbicide.

Glyphosate has been tested on rats, rabbits and dogs (beagles, I think. If you are looking for a reason not to use glyphosate, then there it is) and has shown no residual effects. Glyphosate is also broken down by soil colloids (microscopic soil organic and clay particles). If used ACCORDING TO THE LABEL, Roundup etc is, in my professional opinion, safe to use. I use it on an almost daily basis and am happy to do so, as I use precautions as specified by the label and my own common sense.

By all means, use vinegar and salt, if you wish but use it very sparingly. Steam is also an effective weedkiller, but application is difficult unless you have some form of portable steam applicator. There are commercial ones available for weed control but I have never seen a domestic one.

The best way to kill a weed (or any plant for that matter) is to deprive it of sunlight. Plants use chlorophyll (the chemical in their cells that gives them the green colour) to photosynthesize in the presence of sunlight. Without sunlight they cannot photosynthesize and produce sugars which all plants need for growth ie life.

Glyphosate, which is the active ingredient in Roundup, Zero etc, works as it interrupts the process of photosynthesis. That is why it is an effective herbicide. Vinegar is acidic and may have a pH as low as 2 or 3. Your soil should have a pH level of around 5.5 to 7, so overuse will create an acidic soil that will inhibit plant growth. Salt is exactly that, salt, and applying undiliuted salt to your soil will make that soil saline and cause reverse osmosis whereby the moisture is drawn out of the plants to the stronger salt solution in the soil. Plants take up moisture form the soil by the process of osmosis where moisture is drawn from the surrounding environment (eg soil or potting mix) as the plants cells have a stronger saline solution than the soil. Adding excessive salt to the soil will reverse this process. This is exactly how 'fertisliser burn' occurs when too much chemical fertiliser is applied to the garden. Chemical fertiliser is a salt and over application creates a stronger salt solution in the soil than in the plants and moisture is drawn from the plants to the soil resulting in loss of moisture to the plant and the drying out of leaves etc.

Mulching your garden beds will help prevent weed growth, it will not eradicate them altogether, but it will make weeding much easier. Physical removal of weeds in lawns is a good organic way to control them, but it takes time and effort and if you are not prepared to do that then you have no alternative than to use a selective chemical herbicide.

Glyphosate has been tested on rats, rabbits and dogs (beagles, I think. If you are looking for a reason not to use glyphosate, then there it is) and has shown no residual effects. Glyphosate is also broken down by soil colloids (microscopic soil organic and clay particles). If used ACCORDING TO THE LABEL, Roundup etc is, in my professional opinion, safe to use. I use it on an almost daily basis and am happy to do so, as I use precautions as specified by the label and my own common sense.

By all means, use vinegar and salt, if you wish but use it very sparingly. Steam is also an effective weedkiller, but application is difficult unless you have some form of portable steam applicator. There are commercial ones available for weed control but I have never seen a domestic one.

Thanks Horus,you must be a horticulturist?

It does not mention on the Glyphosate label about pets re how long after one has sprayed should I keep them locked up,be it hours or days...do you know?

Tested on animals for what reason & the out-come of this?

I too have an absolute carpet of burrs which are green at the moment but will turn brown and then tangle in my cocker spaniel's hair. It's a nightmare and I'm terrified to use any weed killer. We have a very large grass yard, far too much to manually remove the long tendrils that tangle into the grass and can't really isolate any of it to keep her away. I have tried to pull them out but it's far too much and I'm not sure I'm getting the whole rootball anyway. What can we do?

I too have an absolute carpet of burrs which are green at the moment but will turn brown and then tangle in my cocker spaniel's hair. It's a nightmare and I'm terrified to use any weed killer. We have a very large grass yard, far too much to manually remove the long tendrils that tangle into the grass and can't really isolate any of it to keep her away. I have tried to pull them out but it's far too much and I'm not sure I'm getting the whole rootball anyway. What can we do?

Have you tried Bindi spray or Weed & Feed types?

I googled it and Farmers do acres of killing Bindis by applying Sulphate of Amonia.....sprinkle on leave 2-3 days do not water it,it burns them.After 3 days give a good watering, 4 weeks later they suggested to use organic furtilizer to balance the soil back to normal. They say the turf grows a hundred mile an hour(nitrogen in the S/A) so be ready for some serious lawn mowing!!! :(

Just realised you have "Burrs" are they same & one as Bindies?

Have you tried Bindi spray or Weed & Feed types?

I googled it and Farmers do acres of killing Bindis by applying Sulphate of Amonia.....sprinkle on leave 2-3 days do not water it,it burns them.After 3 days give a good watering, 4 weeks later they suggested to use organic furtilizer to balance the soil back to normal. They say the turf grows a hundred mile an hour(nitrogen in the S/A) so be ready for some serious lawn mowing!!! :D

Just realised you have "Burrs" are they same & one as Bindies?

Thanks, yes it is actual bindii, with the round spiky balls. I assume this method is safe for my cocker spaniel? If so, it sounds good, don't know what my husband thinks of extra lawn mowing, already takes 2 hours. Still better than getting out the rotten bindies from my pup's long hair. Will give it a go.

Thanks heaps.

I phoned Roundup customer service line. They assured me that my small dogs would come to no harm even if they chewed on the weeds. Advised keeping off it for a few hours.

Have used it quite a few years about monthly in wet weed inducing weather however I don't apply it when I have pregnant girls, you never know. It works well if your garden is too big to hand weed.

Buying in 5 litre containers it works out a fraction of the cost of those small ones in the supermarket & garden centres.

Edited by Christina

I phoned Roundup customer service line. They assured me that my small dogs would come to no harm even if they chewed on the weeds. Advised keeping off it for a few hours.

Have used it quite a few years about monthly in wet weed inducing weather however I don't apply it when I have pregnant girls, you never know. It works well if your garden is too big to hand weed.

Buying in 5 litre containers it works out a fraction of the cost of those small ones in the supermarket & garden centres.

[/quote

Thanks for that.I'm ever so careful re animals with poisons,brought it all home after the "rat sack"thread.

My sister's dog was a sick boy for a few days after consuming Round Up.

Edited by Sheridan