Safe All Natural Weed Killer

bridie

:( 1 litre vinegar

1 cup of salt

1 cap liquid dish-wash liquid

When I first heard this I didn't believe it......I never have to use insecticides again,I spray between pavers,around fruit trees....on couch,so if it kills couch it would be good for any-thing IMHO!!!!

Any-one else have other they would like to share.

1 cup of salt

When I first heard this I didn't believe it......I never have to use insecticides again,I spray between pavers,around fruit trees....on couch,so if it kills couch it would be good for any-thing IMHO!!!!

Thanks for this, I have used plain vinegar on some weeds and it kills some of them but not all, and it does not kill the couch on its own! Will give this a go!

Edited by Mas1981

1 cup of salt

Thanks How long does it take to work?

I'd be cautious about this formula and suggest to be sparing with use of it. You might kill some weeds but will end up killing desirable plants as well with a soil salination issue and that would not be an easy problem to reverse.

Pulling them out is the safest method. My dogs love it when I weed the garden.

I'd be cautious about this formula and suggest to be sparing with use of it. You might kill some weeds but will end up killing desirable plants as well with a soil salination issue and that would not be an easy problem to reverse.

Pulling them out is the safest method. My dogs love it when I weed the garden.

I can't recall time wise,days from memory,when it stops raining for 5 mins I will do some dandelions and take note of how long.

Mine like it too,must be the smell of soil,I turn my back and a huge hole around a new shrub :( I've just put in,so i try not involve them in this activity!!!

Boiling water will kill quite a lot, good for those paver areas.

Goodo I'll try some now

Boiling water is great for paving areas, but be careful about doing it in the garden. The boiling water will kill off all the microbes and worms in the soil, effectively leaving 'dead zones' of soil where plants may have difficulty growing.

This is something I have yet to try, but as some of my plants are getting eaten, I will be soon:

1. Crush 75g fresh garlic

2. Place in a glass container and cover with approx 1/4 cup paraffin oil

3. Dissolve 10g of pur soap or soap flakes in a litre of water.

4. Add garlic mixture to soapy water.

5. Sieve mixture through muslin ensuring no pieces of garlic are in the liquid. Store in glass container.

6. To make a spray dilute one part garlic mixture to 40 parts water. Shake well and spray affected plants. Best spraying time is morning.

I tried the boiling water thing on weeds in my pavers. It sent the leaves brown but after a while new leaves etc popped up. I didn't find it all that useful. On the few weeds it did kill (eg thistle!!) I still had to pull the things out and often DIG them out so I would have been better of just doing that in the first place LOL

I couldn't pull all the weeds in my garden!!! I'd be there 24 hours a day till next Easter!

Edited by spottychick

From what I understand it is the salt content that is the main and most effective ingredient in that mix. I heard on a gardening show recently that most weed killers comprise of a salt component in them as well. I would imagine the detergent component in the recipe given in the OP would help with penetrating soil and taking the mixture down to the weed's roots :o . And I guess the vinegar provides additional acidic value to the concoction.

Of course I'm only guessing. But who cares - it is natural and if it works :laugh: .

Does this work well on Bindi's, i have them everywhere in the yard, kids have to wear shoes :laugh:

I'm in Brisbane, too. The bindis have taken over the lawn this season. We used to be able to keep them in control by just digging out any that dared pop up. But now they've come up like carpeting.

This is something I have yet to try, but as some of my plants are getting eaten, I will be soon:

1. Crush 75g fresh garlic

2. Place in a glass container and cover with approx 1/4 cup paraffin oil

3. Dissolve 10g of pur soap or soap flakes in a litre of water.

4. Add garlic mixture to soapy water.

5. Sieve mixture through muslin ensuring no pieces of garlic are in the liquid. Store in glass container.

6. To make a spray dilute one part garlic mixture to 40 parts water. Shake well and spray affected plants. Best spraying time is morning.

MM is this for bugs..ensects?

I tried the boiling water thing on weeds in my pavers. It sent the leaves brown but after a while new leaves etc popped up. I didn't find it all that useful. On the few weeds it did kill (eg thistle!!) I still had to pull the things out and often DIG them out so I would have been better of just doing that in the first place LOL

I couldn't pull all the weeds in my garden!!! I'd be there 24 hours a day till next Easter!

SC there'd be nothing left in the garden!

Does this work well on Bindi's, i have them everywhere in the yard, kids have to wear shoes :thumbsup:

Gees,I now feel like a Pavlova :thumbsup:

Now that the Bindies are already there it may be too late,I think like with Bindie spray one has to spray before the plant has the Bindies on them,don't know what to suggest,or whether this works on Bindies.....so cheap give it a go......then you would have to rake up the terrible thorns,other wise look forward to a Bumper crop again next year!!thank goodness none here,bloody curse.

From what I understand it is the salt content that is the main and most effective ingredient in that mix. I heard on a gardening show recently that most weed killers comprise of a salt component in them as well. I would imagine the detergent component in the recipe given in the OP would help with penetrating soil and taking the mixture down to the weed's roots :thumbsup: . And I guess the vinegar provides additional acidic value to the concoction.

Of course I'm only guessing. But who cares - it is natural and if it works :thumbsup: .

I better patent this as soon as possible :thumbsup: before some-one else does!!!

What-ever must cause a chemical reaction.Have been told how it works,but I was vaguely interested as I thought this is B...Sh,so one never knows.

Perhaps a word of caution of how much you spray.....re around plants that have shallow root systems......may do them in,say it's safe on well established plants,shrubs with a deeper root system.

There's nothing much "natural" or garden safe about most dish washing liquids.

Salt - will render the soil infertile - have you ever seen weeds growing on a salt lake? Might be ok on permanent paths, but could cause salt damp problems on pavers (ie they will eventually disintegrate).

I use zero/glyphosate. I'm still unsure about the long term effects, but if you chuck dirt over the plant, it's neutralized (fails to work).

In the garden, I use a thick layer of newspaper (also not natural), and pea straw - maybe natural or not - depending on whether it was grown using organic methods or not. I also know that a thick layer of undiluted chook poo will kill most weeds but it can take a while. So you could put down chook poo then newspaper and then straw and your fruit trees will be happy, though the surfaced rooted things like citrus might not appreciate it.

Peter Cundell recommends putting a wad (biscuit) of pea straw on a weed. And weeds are really easy to pull out of pea straw too.

I've also used boiling water. The long term effects are not so bad - ie the worms and microbes will move back in after the soil cools down.