Any One With A Golden Retriever , Or Advice,

mgeyer

firstly sorry if i dont reply as my laptop keyboard is stuffing up im on daughter pc ,,,,, but i am reading off my laptop ,,as she wants her pc ....

JACKSON is his name , jackson has had such a sad life , he was born in a breeding kennel , and was never sold so till the age of 18 months he just sat there every day waiting for someone ,,, at 18 months old the owners of the kennel called the vet in to put him to sleep as they could not profit by selling him ,, lucky but unlucky the receptionist had a little heart and told the company owners he was put down ,,, but she found some to give him to ,,,, this was a common practice for the receptionist who had to orginize the dogz to be destryoed .... so off he went to broken hill for his new life ,,, but was confined into a very small backyard full of bindies ,( if u every been to broken hill u will know what i mean ) so he just sat there at the back door on a concrete pad never walked never let in side , for 3 years he just sat there unwashed un loved until they decided to throw him away and passed him on so he ended back in sydney where he was to become a family dog , but the children where scared of him and would not go outside , he had to survive on a scoop of kibble every 2 days and a can of food every 2 days , then the fleas set in altho they tried to stop them , with a over the counter flea powder it didnt work , so he just sat in the back yard never played with full of fleas stinking until last week when he was offered to me , as there house is flea infested and the dog was blamed and had to go.so i took him in a heart beat , i am a very very responsible animal owner i have a farm horses etc ,,, i have 3 very well looked after children ,,, a foxie a maltese and a 12 month old boxer , all my children not my pets ,so me and my wife sat there from 4 in the arvo till 6 the next morning pulling fleas out of him 450 we counted then washed him flea treatment done , worming etc at the vet , for a 6 yo dog his teeth are shocking nothing on top or bottom , his top k9 are ok his bottom are only half there , he is booked in for desexing next friday so all the medical stuff in on track ,,, from not being loved his whiole life , he is very very shy , absouluty no agresivenese when confronted , he just wees him self and shackes his tail , also if u show him any affection he just humps the air in excitment , i need tips on how we can bring him into such a loving enviroment , with out destryong what he knows and becomes to naughty . i dont know if that would happen but its a common concern for anyone ,, also whats so secrets and tips u do to get there coat in top top shinning condition , Atm im brushing knots out still brushing up to 20 time a day, all we can do is talk in a baby vioce to him and he seems to respond quiet well , he will not leave my side at all , which is lucky as i dont leave my kiddies at all i stay n work from home .., he has resonded so well in the last couple days and has settled in very very well and is loving his freedom running round the farm ,but we are lost as our girlz we have had since pups and always had the best treatment a dog could ask for .... so im just so confused where do i start what do i do? i need tips please ........

Hey mgeyer

Firstly, well done for taking this dog in, what a miserable life he has had to date, I hope he has many happy years with you and your family now.

Secondly, while this may not be much help, but will give you some hope .... my first rescue dog was a Golden Retriever - about 8 years old, starved, fleas, mange, ear infections, not desexed, etc etc I could go on.

He got all the medical and health issues sorted and we started training, and from there he flourished. No matter how old the dog, he is never too old to learn.

Your new dog will benefit greatly from basic obedience (as will your family) and will set you on the right path.

I was amazed at my old neglected and mistreated boy, how quickly he came round to being the most happy, well behaved dog with such a wonderful nature even after everything he had been through.

As for food and making his coat shiny .... that may take some months. Just give him good quality food and some fish oil capsules. Bit of trial and error is involved in working out what will work best for the dog.

Good luck, and how about some photos?! :rainbowbridge:

Hi Mgeyer,

I don't own a Golden Retreiver but just had to post because I am sitting here at work nearly in tears at reading about the poor life Jackson has had...

I am owned by two Labs that give me such joy and we recieved them as puppies - just knowing the life Jackson has had makes me want to go home and give them a massive hug.

You have done the most amazing thing bringing this gorgeous boy into your home and i am sure he will reward with all the love he has been unable to give anyone before. Thank Dog you you and your family came into his life.

Goldens's are just beautiful natured dogs and i am sure with all the care and love your family will give him he will progress in leaps and bounds.

Yet again I am at a loss to understand people how can treat animals like this...... just cannot comprehend... :rainbowbridge:

Wishing you all the best with Jackson..

DDL

Enrol him in obedience training, ask in the Golden Retriever thread about feeding and grooming and take it from there.

Personally I'd take most of what you've been told about him with a grain of salt - that level of detail being passed from one indifferent dog owner to the other seems highly unlikely IMO

Deal with the dog in front of you. Make no assumptions about his temperament based on his breed. I'd not be making any about how he's been treated either.

thanx double its been 5 days and im still crying because he is just so lovable last nite after i brushed him he was sitting beside me when i finished he put his front paw up for a shake i just bursted into tears and cuddled him , im one for i cant handle animal wrongfullness if a child run away im like yeah let it go put if a dog does im a panic ...

thanx double its been 5 days and im still crying because he is just so lovable last nite after i brushed him he was sitting beside me when i finished he put his front paw up for a shake i just bursted into tears and cuddled him , im one for i cant handle animal wrongfullness if a child run away im like yeah let it go put if a dog does im a panic ...

One thing I learnt was not to be too soft with a dog just because you may be aware of it's background. (Just something to keep in mind)

Even though you may feel so very sorry for Jackson, he will love you more if you start with some obedience so he knows the boundaries - this is what will make him happy, along with good food and family time :rainbowbridge:

please dont hold this against me in any way ,,, i know his past very well as its my family ,,, my sister was the recpe,,, my brother in broken hill took him then gave him to my other brother who gave him to me ,,, we are not a close family ,but are held together but one other sister who talks to all of us ,,,, i know personally my two brothers and not and never been animal people , i cant get over why they took him to begin with ,,, im just glad he is here

please dont hold this against me in any way ,,, i know his past very well as its my family ,,, my sister was the recpe,,, my brother in broken hill took him then gave him to my other brother who gave him to me ,,, we are not a close family ,but are held together but one other sister who talks to all of us ,,,, i know personally my two brothers and not and never been animal people , i cant get over why they took him to begin with ,,, im just glad he is here

That explains the detail..

You're not responsible for the way other members of your family treat dogs..

Hell, my brother thinks my dogs are "spoiled" because I allow them in the house.

My parents don't even LIKE dogs. :rainbowbridge:

mgeyer as a besotted owner of two goldens I want to give you a big :rainbowbridge: for taking this boy in.

As GR has said, sort out his health first and then some gentle training. He will flourish under your care I am sure.

They are very gentle easy going dogs who really flourish with a bit of kindness.

good on you!!! I'm s glad that this boy is finally with you!

I agree with what others have said.

I think with good nutrition (a premium kibble etc) he will regain his health and a nice coat. And when the fleas finally leave him ofcourse!

for the behaviour and training aspect:

* no coddling

* use positive training methods that build his confidence

and

* begin with the same rules you want eventually. For example if you don't want him on the lounge at a later date, don't allo him get on the lounge now. It will be confusing if the rules change.

* also expect things to go slowly

:rainbowbridge:

Hi mgeyer, you have done a wonderful thing. ;)

I'm assuming you are in NSW? Why dont you give the Golden Retriever Rescue Organisation a call, website here, and ask them if they have any advice. I know they deal with dogs such as Jackson from time to time.

I have a rescue Golden Retriever (from GRR) and prior to coming to us, I'm told she was trained through beatings and lived a life outside with no love or walks. :(

When first taken in by GRR she would hit the deck and get as flat as possible when you called her, anticipating being hit. :( She still exhibited some of this when we took her home.

Within weeks of consistent training, no mollycoddling and LOTS and LOTS of love and cuddles, she blossomed into a happy, relaxed, affectionate dog. :eek:

We have had her for nearly a year now and she is the light of my life :cry: . Oh yeah, the kids love her too :o:rainbowbridge: .

I agree with what others have said, clear boundaries, NO spoiling (tough when you feel so sad for them :) ), as well as lots of love and you will be rewarded with a wonderful mate. Goldens have such wonderful enduring temperaments! :eek:

Hell, my brother thinks my dogs are "spoiled" because I allow them in the house.

My parents don't even LIKE dogs. :cry:

Are you sure you weren't adopted PF :rainbowbridge:

mgeyer, good on you for taking in the dog.

My parents don't even LIKE dogs. :cry:

Are you sure you weren't adopted PF :rainbowbridge:

mgeyer, good on you for taking in the dog.

Sometimes I wonder.

Lots of good advice from other posters and hugs and good wishes for giving this boy a loving home, all the love you give him will be reciprocated tenfold, I bet! As Golden Rules said.....your digital camer's battery should be ready to go, lol....so how about it?

Mgeyer - I am thinking that Jackson must think he is in doggy Nirvana now :laugh: He is probably pinching ( or canine equivalent) himself every 5 minutes to make sure it is all still real !

I second the good qaulity kibble and sardines / eggs once a week for a nice shiny coat - works well on mine....

As many others here have said - basic obediance and lots of gentle but firm guidance will go a long way....

I am so hearing you on animal wrongfulness - just cannot comprehend and there aren't enough tears in the world sometimes for the stories that you hear...

Good food and good grooming will help his coat. I used to show and breed goldens before I got into flatcoats. He definitely needs some training so he knows what the boundaries are. I would add sardines and cooked egg to his diet a couple of times a week to help with his coat and maybe a daily tablespoon of cold pressed oil.

Hope he has many happy years with you. :laugh: