Which Camera To Buy

Mas1981

I had some really nice photo's of my dog taken by a photographer 2 weeks ago and it has inspired me to want to learn more about photography and upgrade my camera - I currently have a Sony Cybershot DSC T2 which I have had for about 2 years now. Its a great camera as long as you dont have to zoom very far. I would like a camera that is not too expensive say maybe under $800. I am looking at the Nikon D3000 and the D3100 which does HD video and the Canon EOS 1000D. I am really undecided about these 3, I would like the D3100 as its the only 1 that has a video function but I dont want to miss out on another camera which is better just because the D3100 does video. I am totally new to this and would love some advice.

if you do a search on this forum, you will see this question has been asked many times, and with some very good recommendations, however you also need to realise you get what you pay for too - perhaps think about what you want to do with the camera now, and what you want to do, as you many find it is better to spend a little more now to get what you really need rather than what you want now, and loose out on trading up later. Good luck on the search though, there is nothing like taking photographs, and glad you had a great experience!!!

Second hand canon 40D or 50D then buy a new 50mm 1.8 lens.

Those are cameras you won't grow out of in a hurry and the 50mm is an awesome lens for the $125 price tag. The only downside is that you won't be able to zoom. Neither of those cameras have video on them either but I would take them over the lower level cameras with HD video.

Edited by ~*Shell*~

Thanks guys I had to change my name as I lost all my sign in details!!

I went to a camera shop yesterday and I am now looking at the Canon D500 and the Nikon D3100 - I need a video function if possible as I am hoping to compete with my dog in obedience from next year and we do practice trials etc which I like to video. If possible I dont want to have to take a video camera and a seperate camera for photo's.

Where is a good place to look for second hand camera's?

Be aware that editing and sharing video from a dslr isn't as straight forward as you think it will be. Nor is focusing.

ebay, photography on the net forum (ask the Aussies there in the General Chat area about more local options) and DOL right here are good places to start for second hand gear.

I have just found out that hubby has bought a Canon D450 off a guy at work and I have managed to get a lens which a lady got in a kit yesterday but has never been used off Gumtree, I am collecting both tonight :laugh: will post pics when I work out how to use it :o

The 450D is a great camera - you'll have heaps of fun!!

btw so you don't get lynched by the Nikonians or Canonians - Nikons are D#s and Canons are #Ds :laugh:

eg:

450D = Canon

D700 = Nikon

Yes, I know it's stupid but it is confusing and some people do have too much time on their hands :o :o :D

No lynching from me, I knew what you meant. Congrats on the new camera, I hope that scored hubby a few man credits. :)

Thanks guys, I noticed now that I had typed the info in wrong :laugh:

Yes hubby has scored big points but I think he was as excited as I am - after all - men love gadgets :(