Help Please!

Stanlo

Hi can someone please offer some advice my dog's marking is driving me crazy.

I have a 2 year old boy, during his first 18 months we would go to work leaving him at home with no real issues and no accidents.

4 months ago we brought a new female puppy home.

Within the last 2 months our boy has gone crazy marking all over the house while we are at work. He never ever marks while we are at home and will quite happily trot outside via the doggy door to do his business. My problem is becuase he only marks while we are out its impossible to catch him in the act and correct him.

As an alternative I've tried spraying Scram, I been putting a belly band on him, I have put down silver foil at his usual spots, all to no avail. It got so bad today my husband left the house (it was clean) we passed each other in the street but by the time I got home I was greeted with a nice puddle to mop up.

He and the girl get on with no issues, they get along well together (although in the past few weeks she has taken to marking her bed). At the moment she is not desexed. She is due to be done in 2 weeks - will this help?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

He and the girl get on with no issues, they get along well together (although in the past few weeks she has taken to marking her bed). At the moment she is not desexed. She is due to be done in 2 weeks - will this help?

If your girl's toilet training is not complete and accidents are occurring inside by her, this won't be helping. It is very unusual for a dog to "mark" its own bed - normally, soiling own bedding is an indication of either a medical issue (eg. urinary tract infection) or perhaps unclear toilet training.

Is your boy desexed? I hope so, as your girl is coming up 6 months and it is possible for her to be coming into season. That would drive your dog a bit stir crazy, especially if he's not desexed. Of course, if your dog isn't desexed it goes without saying they should be separated until at least one of them is - but I presume you know all about the birds and the bees, so I won't go on to explain :):laugh:.

Desexing can help to reduce marking. That's if what you describe is indeed "marking" behaviour and not through some other reason.

I've never heard of tin foil being use to deter marking/soiling. What's the theory behind that one?

Edited by Erny

If your girl's toilet training is not complete and accidents are occurring inside by her, this won't be helping. It is very unusual for a dog to "mark" its own bed - normally, soiling own bedding is an indication of either a medical issue (eg. urinary tract infection) or perhaps unclear toilet training.

I had read this behaviour was unusual, she does not display any signs of a UTI (that's not to say she does not have one, and I will certainly get her checked) however I was thinking its probably unclear/incomplete training on my behalf. In some ways she is easier to treat as her accidents do tend to occur while I am around so I can correct appropriately.

I've never heard of tin foil being use to deter marking/soiling. What's the theory behind that one?

I think the theory is the pee makes a noise and a splash when it hits the foil thus acting as a deterant.

Erny:

Stanlo :

I had read this behaviour was unusual, she does not display any signs of a UTI (that's not to say she does not have one, and I will certainly get her checked) however I was thinking its probably unclear/incomplete training on my behalf. In some ways she is easier to treat as her accidents do tend to occur while I am around so I can correct appropriately.

Erny :

Stanlo :

I think the theory is the pee makes a noise and a splash when it hits the foil thus acting as a deterant.

I'm not one for "correcting" for inappropriate soiling - especially when toilet training isn't complete. This can lead to behavioural problems further down the track, one of which is that the dog learns that soiling inside the home is only "wrong" when the owner is around, but not wrong at other times. (Other more extreme behaviour issues that can develop as a result of punishment/corrections during house training are things such as coprophagia and I believe also aggression.)

There's too little information about what you have done as your toilet training regime, but I'd concentrate more on making it so that your dogs are successful in their toileting patterns (and reward them accordingly) rather than focusing on being around so you can correct the mistakes (that you permit them to make).

Edited by Erny

I'm not one for "correcting" for inappropriate soiling - especially when toilet training isn't complete. This can lead to behavioural problems further down the track, one of which is that the dog learns that soiling inside the home is only "wrong" when the owner is around, but not wrong at other times. (Other more extreme behaviour issues that can develop as a result of punishment/corrections during house training are things such as coprophagia and I believe also aggression.)

There's too little information about what you have done as your toilet training regime, but I'd concentrate more on making it so that your dogs are successful in their toileting patterns (and reward them accordingly) rather than focusing on being around so you can correct the mistakes (that you permit them to make).

In terms of "correcting" I have been giving them a firm NO picking them up and taking them into the garden, once in the garden I'll say "garden" when they do pee and then reward with a "good boy/girl" and a pat.

I give them rewards (again verbal) when they go during their walks. Sounds like I need to spend more time outside with them? - have to admit since we got the doggy door I have tended to just let them come and go at will.

Thanks for the help.

Are you sure it is the bitch wetting her bed and not the male marking on it?

Yes I think deffo the bitch - she just lets rip with her entire bladder when she goes, the dog is a bit more selective spreding the joy to multiple spots!

In terms of "correcting" I have been giving them a firm NO picking them up and taking them into the garden, once in the garden I'll say "garden" when they do pee and then reward with a "good boy/girl" and a pat.

I wouldn't pick them up (that can be rewarding) and unless either dog is right at the beginning/just about to soil, IMO, it's too late. Tell yourself a firm "NO" for taking your eyes off them. Scoot them outside (no big deal either way) and clean up in their absence. At worse, if they are around when you are cleaning up, grumble mumble at the mess you're cleaning. I find it better to have them not around at the time you are cleaning, though.

... have to admit since we got the doggy door I have tended to just let them come and go at will.

That could well be the case. And as toilet training is not completed, they know no different to what they are able to teach themselves.

Thanks for the help.

Good luck :rofl:.

Edited by Erny