Behaviourist

Lally

I posted this today in Health/Nutrition and it was kindly recommended that I post here. I have also received the name of one behaviourist but I'd be grateful for any other opinions. Thanks.

"My recently acquired CKCS (been with me for six months) is a usually very happy, very merry little boy. He's five years old and will be neutered in March next year after he performs his husbandly duties for the last time. He is an Aus.Ch. I mention this only to show that he's normally a very well-behaved dog, responsive to commands, and used to noise and bustle, etc. He's somewhat exuberant, but nothing that's ever a problem as he also has immense charm.

However, during a colossal thunderstorm last week he became panicked and utterly terrorised. It went far beyond any common or usual stress which many dogs suffer: indeed, he trembled, cried, tried to scrabble up onto my lap, though I spoke to him calmly but firmly. He ignored his toys and I couldn't distract him at all. Eventually, I moved to the big chair where he's permitted to sit on my lap and I could feel his heart pounding as he panted excessively. Upon another loud clap of thunder he scrabbled up my chest, whimpering, and actually attempted to cling to my neck. When I eventually went to bed he insisted on being almost on top of me and I didn't have the heart to reject him. However, since then, he's reverted to his normal, cheerful self. His owner/breeder who gave him to me to keep my ailing girl company and to cheer her up says that this has never happened before, ever. Heaven only knows if I'm doing anything untoward - I've had Cavaliers all of my life and whereas one or two were a little highly-strung, not one has ever reacted like this to a thunderstorm. Incidentally, my other Cavalier continued to sleep on, with nary a peep from her.

Therefore, I'm seeking the name of a good behaviourist in Melbourne, (I'm in the NE suburbs) one whom someone here has had experience with, preferably. I'm not overly fussed with formal qualifications, per se, but someone with a proven track record is what I'm looking for. Of course, there's medication to consider which I'm reluctant to use in the first instance, and although I've already ordered some 'rescue remedy' from an acknowledged herbalist in good standing in the animal world, I'd much prefer to understand what caused this alarming OTT reaction. Or at least, what I did wrong, if anything. His usual vets are away at the moment so I can't ask them for a referral.

Any names or suggestions will be most welcome. Thank you."

I would consider having a chat to a veterinary behaviourist- Robert Holmes may be the best person for you to at least have a chat to and see what he thinks.

That's kind of you Cosmolo. Many thanks. You're the second to recommend Robert Holmes so I'll see if I can arrange an appointment with him.

Hi Lally (and thank you, Staranais) ...

Lally - feel free to call me. Click my signature link at the bottom of this post and it will take you to my website from which you can get my contact info.

But please don't call my right now. I'm expecting someone to arrive here soon and I've just come back from working with my boarding/training dogs. The ground was wet and the dogs were out playing and excited at the time of my arrival, so I need to go tidy up some, lol.

I posted this today in Health/Nutrition and it was kindly recommended that I post here. I have also received the name of one behaviourist but I'd be grateful for any other opinions. Thanks.

"My recently acquired CKCS (been with me for six months) is a usually very happy, very merry little boy. He's five years old and will be neutered in March next year after he performs his husbandly duties for the last time. He is an Aus.Ch. I mention this only to show that he's normally a very well-behaved dog, responsive to commands, and used to noise and bustle, etc. He's somewhat exuberant, but nothing that's ever a problem as he also has immense charm.

However, during a colossal thunderstorm last week he became panicked and utterly terrorised. It went far beyond any common or usual stress which many dogs suffer: indeed, he trembled, cried, tried to scrabble up onto my lap, though I spoke to him calmly but firmly. He ignored his toys and I couldn't distract him at all. Eventually, I moved to the big chair where he's permitted to sit on my lap and I could feel his heart pounding as he panted excessively. Upon another loud clap of thunder he scrabbled up my chest, whimpering, and actually attempted to cling to my neck. When I eventually went to bed he insisted on being almost on top of me and I didn't have the heart to reject him. However, since then, he's reverted to his normal, cheerful self. His owner/breeder who gave him to me to keep my ailing girl company and to cheer her up says that this has never happened before, ever. Heaven only knows if I'm doing anything untoward - I've had Cavaliers all of my life and whereas one or two were a little highly-strung, not one has ever reacted like this to a thunderstorm. Incidentally, my other Cavalier continued to sleep on, with nary a peep from her.

Therefore, I'm seeking the name of a good behaviourist in Melbourne, (I'm in the NE suburbs) one whom someone here has had experience with, preferably. I'm not overly fussed with formal qualifications, per se, but someone with a proven track record is what I'm looking for. Of course, there's medication to consider which I'm reluctant to use in the first instance, and although I've already ordered some 'rescue remedy' from an acknowledged herbalist in good standing in the animal world, I'd much prefer to understand what caused this alarming OTT reaction. Or at least, what I did wrong, if anything. His usual vets are away at the moment so I can't ask them for a referral.

Any names or suggestions will be most welcome. Thank you."