Proban Use And Removing Ticks

hello :laugh:

3 really quick questions:

1. if i gave each of my dogs a proban tablet the day before arriving in the hunter valley and then a another tablet each 2 days later and a third tablet each 2 days after that, would that be sufficient to protect my dogs from ticks?

2. if i find any ticks do i still have to remove them if i'm using proban? and

3. is there another product i can use [in conjuction with or instead of proban] that would have the tick graciously remove itself?

fyi: i'm starting my two on sentinal spectrum this weekend, with capstar on hand to handle adult fleas.

tia for any and all advice :laugh:

You must always remove ticks if you see them.

This is especially important for paralysis ticks as the longer they are left on, the more toxin they will release.

I would want to start my dog on Proban a little earlier. You can also use proban with either: frontline or advantix but be aware there is still a chance that a tick could attach itself, but it would (hopefully) die pretty quickly due to the proban in the bloodlstream.

thanks aussielover :laugh:

so should i start them on proban from this weekend? administer every 48 hours?

we're in the hunter valley from next wed, returning home the following saturday so if i dose this coming saturday, and then on monday, wednesday, friday and then finally sunday, would that be adequate?

removal of ticks essential: yup, noted :laugh:

i wish the bastards would just kindly drop off :laugh:

thanks aussielover :laugh:

so should i start them on proban from this weekend? administer every 48 hours?

we're in the hunter valley from next wed, returning home the following saturday so if i dose this coming saturday, and then on monday, wednesday, friday and then finally sunday, would that be adequate?

removal of ticks essential: yup, noted :laugh:

i wish the bastards would just kindly drop off :laugh:

Proban should be effective within 24hrs of ingestion but I am just paranoid about ticks, living in a high tick area and regularly seeing dogs dying due to ticks.

The ticks will actually drop off by themselves once they are full, or once the prevenative product takes effect. However, if you see one, it is best to remove it ASAP.

ah okay, i get where you're coming from; i'd be paranoid too and i guess i am too a little bit and i've heard godawful stories :laugh: but cuz i don't have to deal with ticks i'm a tad unsure of myself with effectively preventing and treating tick problems...

thanks again for your help aussielover; i think now i'm ready to deal :laugh:

I was told to start using Proban at least 48 hours before heading to a tick area and continue for 48 hours after leaving the area.

I'm not experienced with ticks either and we go once a year to tick areas, it always scares the crap out of me! Even when using the Proban. :laugh:

I was told to start using Proban at least 48 hours before heading to a tick area and continue for 48 hours after leaving the area.

I'm not experienced with ticks either and we go once a year to tick areas, it always scares the crap out of me! Even when using the Proban. :o

I thought most areas in sydney had ticks?

But yes, they are very scary and sadly people do not take them seriously enough.

:laugh: to the OP for doing the research and caring about the health safety of her dogs!!!

thanks deelee and again thanks aussielover :rofl:

i spoke with my vet and they don't have any proban in stock but they said frontline plus [$53.20 for 3!!!] was the better choice anyway [damn] because with proban you have to be dead on the 48 hour mark!??! really!??!

anyway, i called petbarn and they don't stock proban but their frontline plus is $41.49 for 3...

it blows that i'm left with having to use a topical!!!

Can anyone recommend where to get Proban - I doubt many Adelaide Vets are going to carry it and does that funny green tick removal stick work? Every time I've tried to get a tick out of something - its head would not come out and I've had to cut it out.

http://search.vetproductsdirect.com.au/vet/Tick%20Remover

By the way I haven't used this particular website - would like to know if anyone else has used it ok.

Can anyone recommend where to get Proban - I doubt many Adelaide Vets are going to carry it and does that funny green tick removal stick work? Every time I've tried to get a tick out of something - its head would not come out and I've had to cut it out.

http://search.vetproductsdirect.com.au/vet/Tick%20Remover

By the way I haven't used this particular website - would like to know if anyone else has used it ok.

i just brought some Proban from vetnpetdirect, at the moment they have $1.00 delivery AUST wide up to 3kgs

I would use the proban for 4 days after returning home - it is possible to get more than one of the little blighters at one time. You need to undertake daily searching for ticks regardless of the product used. If I find a tick I dab the back of it with a pyretherin based insecticide and remove after a couple of minutes - they come out easier) Our local vet uses Proban on her own dog - we are in an extreme tick area and have them year round - this year is shaping up as a very bad tick season due to the wet weather. Other vets in the area reccommend using 2 products eg collar and top spot.

Also watch your dogs carefully and be aware of the symptoms - but be careful - a friend's westie recently had a tick and she had him to the vet 3 times because he was vomiting before they found what was causing the problem- paralysis tick on his neck - not a common symptom - though laboured breathing and change of voice are.

May your stay be tick free

Edited by frufru

The east and northern suburbs are all tick areas but the west and south west are not. I am near Liverpool and there are definitely no ticks here or towards Campbelltown or Penrith. The DogsNSW grounds at Erskine Park are also safe from ticks. Sutherland shire, the Eastern suburbs, Northern Beaches and northern suburbs, west to about Castle Hill seem to be the worst affected.

Our vets at Austral have never had a tick case on a dog that has not been out of the area and strangely you can get pockets where they don't occur in areas where you expect them. I have a friend in Dural which is between Arcadia and Castle Hill, that both have tick problems, but there have never been any ticks on her property.

Vet p;roducts direct is a good site.

The ticks will actually drop off by themselves once they are full, or once the prevenative product takes effect. However, if you see one, it is best to remove it ASAP.

Whilst the ticks are "getting full", ie, ingesting the animal's blood, they are also injecting toxin,which is what does the damage and causes paralysis. It is extremely important to pull off every tick as soon as you see it. Doing this will increase your pet's chances. The longer the tick remains on the dog = the more toxin is injected = the dogs chances of survival are reduced.

It's not difficult to do - simply check the dog over, and if you find a tick, grasp it firmly between thumb and forerfinger amd yank it out. You can buy little tick removers, but they are unnecessary

Our emergency clinic saw 34 dogs with ticks after hours on the weekend. Only the use of products and vigilance will determine that your dog is not one of them

The east and northern suburbs are all tick areas but the west and south west are not. I am near Liverpool and there are definitely no ticks here or towards Campbelltown or Penrith. The DogsNSW grounds at Erskine Park are also safe from ticks. Sutherland shire, the Eastern suburbs, Northern Beaches and northern suburbs, west to about Castle Hill seem to be the worst affected.

Our vets at Austral have never had a tick case on a dog that has not been out of the area and strangely you can get pockets where they don't occur in areas where you expect them. I have a friend in Dural which is between Arcadia and Castle Hill, that both have tick problems, but there have never been any ticks on her property.

There are ticks around Liverpool/Penrith- they are just not very common in the area but it is still best to check during summer months and know the signs!!!!! Also had a friend who's suspects their dog picked up a tick from fresh wood chips the council had put down in a very safe area!

There are ticks around Liverpool/Penrith- they are just not very common in the area but it is still best to check during summer months and know the signs!!!!! Also had a friend who's suspects their dog picked up a tick from fresh wood chips the council had put down in a very safe area!

There are cattle ticks in the area but not paralysis ticks, unless thay are brought in. We have been here since the early 60s and have never heard of anyone's dog getting a paralysis tick unless they have been out of the area or someone has brought in another dog or travelled themselves, to a tick area. My friends in the northern suburbs have to battle with them every year and many have had dogs affected over the years.

I brought one back either on my car or proban treated dogs from a Qld trip. The dogs I took were fine but a couple of days after returning home I found a tiny tick on the eyelid of a dog I had left at home. It had obviously hitched a ride somehow. So yes, there is always a risk of them being brought into the area and I know of dogs that have picked them up at shows in non tick areas, if they were camped next to dogs from the coast, so knowing the symptoms is important just in case.

thanks to those replying :laugh:

i'm a lil bit pissed atm cuz i've made the phone calls, got details and learned that proban is not so readily available!!!

so, i got a 3-pack of frontline plus and i'm now 30 or so $$$ poorer [cheaper than i was quoted btw] but i'm gutted that i must use frontline plus to protect my dogs from ticks!

i am most reticent to use topicals, particularly on byron given his itch issues and i most definitely don't want to tempt fate with my other dog either given that she too was bred without thought or consequence...

pfttt

thanks to those replying :laugh:

i'm a lil bit pissed atm cuz i've made the phone calls, got details and learned that proban is not so readily available!!!

so, i got a 3-pack of frontline plus and i'm now 30 or so $$$ poorer [cheaper than i was quoted btw] but i'm gutted that i must use frontline plus to protect my dogs from ticks!

i am most reticent to use topicals, particularly on byron given his itch issues and i most definitely don't want to tempt fate with my other dog either given that she too was bred without thought or consequence...

pfttt

A jar of 100 Proban will set you back $65.oo plus depending on where you get it. I use Advantix & buy the biggest amount I can then squirt it into a very small container & use a syringe (needless) to apply a dose of .1ml per kilo of dog plus a bit. So for my 18 kilo dog I apply 2.5 ml per fortnight. Shortly she will be going onto Proban as well as the ticks will be getting really bad after all this wet weather.