Grass Seeds And Dreadlocks!

mongo1

With the onset of spring my BC has been picking up alot of grass seeds which I'm a bit worried about, I check him over every night to make sure he has nothing in his coat but I'm also finding he's getting an increasing number of dreadies, does anyone have any tips for removing dreadies. At the moment I'm spending about an hour a night brushing them out carefully but I sometimes worry that it might hur him especially around his ears and the soft areas under his legs, does anyone use any particular nifty sprays etc for dreadies and any tips for keeping the grass seeds at bay?

With the onset of spring my BC has been picking up alot of grass seeds which I'm a bit worried about, I check him over every night to make sure he has nothing in his coat but I'm also finding he's getting an increasing number of dreadies, does anyone have any tips for removing dreadies. At the moment I'm spending about an hour a night brushing them out carefully but I sometimes worry that it might hur him especially around his ears and the soft areas under his legs, does anyone use any particular nifty sprays etc for dreadies and any tips for keeping the grass seeds at bay?

I've just started using "NRG No-nots" detangler and conditioner for tails, manes and hair, it's for horses and you can get it at any of their supply stores but comes recommended for dogs too.

http://www.nrgteam.com.au/nonots.html

As far as dreadlocks are concerned I know what you are saying as i've just had to cut ones from behind my BC's ears as there's no way it would come out.

AFAIK a fine comb is the best to use to prevent them

Marlin had so many dreadies, she was really bad behind her ears and her pants were just big matts! She HATES being brushed, so much so I thought I was hurting her :rofl: The combination of onset of summer, swimming every day, huge dropping coat, her very big long coat, and my complete lack of any idea of what I was doing when brushing did not help :laugh: .

We had an experienced groomer visit our small remote town recently so I took the opportunity to book her in for a session and she was kind enough to allow me to watch/help and gave me lots of tips, showed me the right tools to use, mainly the medium/fine comb, and not to put up with her nonsense. She combed out most of the dreadies cut a couple out and had to cut out most off the matts on her bottom.

The groomer is not likely to visit again until after Christmas, so i have to make sure she is brushed daily, I use a leave in conditioner (human style) when I rinse her off after her swim and that seems to have helped heaps, and we have a 5 minute session every morning to comb her out, she still hates it, but puts up with it cos she gets a walk after :D . I have found that leaving her collar off when we are home helps with the ear dreads, I am very careful around her tummy and use a spray detangler on any sensitive areas, but dont hesitate to cut them out if needed.

I feel I still dont know completely what I am doing but figure it cant be too bad as there have been no more serious matts or dreads as I am now on top of them as soon as they appear. I can recommend a little bit of instruction if you can get a professional to help.