Preston Grandmother Watches In Horror As Her Pet Dog Is Attacked

westielover

Once again friggin iresponsible owners.Had no idea Huskies were like this,hope the fence never falls down next to me where 2 reside.

I wonder if someone perhaps from some rescue could give this poor soul a small white dog that is older? Not now but soon....time to grieve atm for Hamish. :)

IMO (as the owner of a Husky) this sort of attack wouldn't have happened if the owners of the dogs were responsible owners who knew what sort of care a Husky requires. While our Husky is prey driven and will catch birds if you let her, if the fence fell down on our side and she was able to get into my neighbour's yard (who has a Maltese) she would NEVER hurt Casey at all. Yes, Huskies are prey driven, but no, not all Huskies are like this. In fact, I would say that the owner is probably the sort of person who tells his dogs to "git 'em!" every time they're faced with another dog, and if that's the case, who can blame them for turning out like this.

Bugger the fate of the huskies....

I want to see them go after their OWNER/S!!!!!

RIP Hamish. :)

Once again friggin iresponsible owners.Had no idea Huskies were like this,hope the fence never falls down next to me where 2 reside.

I wonder if someone perhaps from some rescue could give this poor soul a small white dog that is older? Not now but soon....time to grieve atm for Hamish. :party:

This is so sad, I hope her family and friends are helping her. What a devastating thing to witness and for poor Hamish to die in such a way. This is so sad. There should be tougher penalties for the owners, like banning owning a dog, as they clearly cannot handle them or are allowing their dogs to behave like this. These people should be convicted. What if the poor lady had a heart attack or they attacked her as well. I think bridie has a great idea that the rescue societies should give her an adult Westie, when she has time to grieve. RIP gorgeous boy.

I wonder if someone perhaps from some rescue could give this poor soul a small white dog that is older? Not now but soon....time to grieve atm for Hamish. :p

IMO (as the owner of a Husky) this sort of attack wouldn't have happened if the owners of the dogs were responsible owners who knew what sort of care a Husky requires. While our Husky is prey driven and will catch birds if you let her, if the fence fell down on our side and she was able to get into my neighbour's yard (who has a Maltese) she would NEVER hurt Casey at all. Yes, Huskies are prey driven, but no, not all Huskies are like this. In fact, I would say that the owner is probably the sort of person who tells his dogs to "git 'em!" every time they're faced with another dog, and if that's the case, who can blame them for turning out like this.

Yes,ferel owners ferel dogs,same goes with the human race.

I wonder if someone perhaps from some rescue could give this poor soul a small white dog that is older? Not now but soon....time to grieve atm for Hamish. :laugh:

And that could just be an enormous assumption...

Huskies can be gorgeous, sweet-natured, good-with-kids family companions - and hop over a fence at night to go killing anything they can get at.

I know this, because I witnessed two huskies under a half-full moon jump *in almost complete silence* from the ground in my yard, up to the roof of the neighbour's shed in one bound. They were incredibly agile, incredibly silent, and incredibly efficient hunters.

They broke into three different chook cages I had my guineapigs, rabbits, chooks, and ducks in and slaughtered them all over about three months. After I saw them under moonlight, I gave up keeping small pets in the yard.

They were shot about a month after I saw them; they attacked the calves at the Lowline stud up the road and the farmer shot one and winged the other one.

The farmer rang the owners of the Huskies; who were absolutely gob-smacked that their beloved pets had been out of the yard, had no idea whatsoever that they were stock-killers - and who were by no means bogans... just average folks who loved Huskies. They had six-foot fences, and thought their dogs were safely asleep in the yard all night.

I wonder if someone perhaps from some rescue could give this poor soul a small white dog that is older? Not now but soon....time to grieve atm for Hamish. :laugh:

Huskies can be gorgeous, sweet-natured, good-with-kids family companions - and hop over a fence at night to go killing anything they can get at.

I know this, because I witnessed two huskies under a half-full moon jump *in almost complete silence* from the ground in my yard, up to the roof of the neighbour's shed in one bound. They were incredibly agile, incredibly silent, and incredibly efficient hunters.

They broke into three different chook cages I had my guineapigs, rabbits, chooks, and ducks in and slaughtered them all over about three months. After I saw them under moonlight, I gave up keeping small pets in the yard.

They were shot about a month after I saw them; they attacked the calves at the Lowline stud up the road and the farmer shot one and winged the other one.

The farmer rang the owners of the Huskies; who were absolutely gob-smacked that their beloved pets had been out of the yard, had no idea whatsoever that they were stock-killers - and who were by no means bogans... just average folks who loved Huskies. They had six-foot fences, and thought their dogs were safely asleep in the yard all night.

I find it very hard to believe that any husky would escape from a secure yard, kill everything they can get at, then silently return home without the owner knowing.

If they have the desire to run and escape they won't come back home.

I find it very hard to believe that any husky would escape from a secure yard, kill everything they can get at, then silently return home without the owner knowing.

If they have the desire to run and escape they won't come back home.

Obviously this is what a lot of Huskies do - but since:

I personally witnessed the dogs in eerie silence leap up so high and settle on a corrugated iron roof with only a single creak;

and since the farmer who shot the Huskies was a mum at the playgroup I ran at the time...

well, you will have to take my word that they were repeatedly escaping, entering (at the very least) my yard, plundering a succession of cages to kill what was inside them, then returning home - all over a period of some months.

When the farmer who shot them contacted the owners of the Huskies, they were stunned, but accepted without arguement that their dogs were responsible... bit hard to argue one dead dog, with collar and tag; and one with gunshot wounds, with collar and tag.

This does not make them particularly unusual Huskies... a workmate had two Huskies out at Murrumbateman, who displayed the same tactics; leap six foot fences at night, break into fowlhouses on a couple of different properties, decimate the chooks/ducks/turkeys, then return home, hop over the fence into their yard and be their usual amiable selves by next morning. The only way the Huskies' owner proved they were getting out was because they had blood on their faces and feet...

The only way they were stopped was by installing eight-foot, cyclone-mesh fences set in concrete along the entirety of the base of the fenceline.

I love Huskies - they are fabulous dogs; but they are amazingly athletic and think nothing of seeking out their own food source/entertainment.

They are primitive in their drives - poor Hamish and his owner, they were victims of the Huskies' OWNERS' ignorance and/or complacency.

I personally witnessed the dogs in eerie silence leap up so high and settle on a corrugated iron roof with only a single creak;

and since the farmer who shot the Huskies was a mum at the playgroup I ran at the time...

well, you will have to take my word that they were repeatedly escaping, entering (at the very least) my yard, plundering a succession of cages to kill what was inside them, then returning home - all over a period of some months.

This just adds credence to the fact that it is the owners to blame and not the dogs.

Sonia

This just adds credence to the fact that it is the owners to blame and not the dogs.

Sonia

Exactly. If it had been happening for period of months it should have been brought to the attention of the owners sooner.

Huskies are certainly not the dog for everyone. I have had people want to adopt rescues of me that say they have read up on the breed yet in the next

sentence say they are looking forward to taking the dog to the beach so it can run around in the surf :rofl:

I wonder if someone perhaps from some rescue could give this poor soul a small white dog that is older? Not now but soon....time to grieve atm for Hamish. :cry:

Given that you were aware of what those huskies were getting up to....why did you not say something? why not alert the owners of the huskies? If they were truly none the wiser of the antics that their dogs were getting up to then perhaps if they were forewarned they could have taken preventative steps to ensure that their dogs were no longer able to leap out of their property in a single bound.

Edited by Moselle

The way I read it, the owners of the huskies dog geek describes were found through the tag on the dead dog.

How was dog geek to know who the owners were when the dogs fled her yard? So how could she let the owners know what was happening?? I guess you could report it and hope the council tracked down all the husky owners in the shire - but it's a bit rough saying the fault lies with one of the victims.

They jumped onto her neighbour's shed.

Nothing says they were her neighbour's dogs, is that what you are assuming? :cry:

Edited by Diva

when i was a kid we had a border collie would clear 7 foot fence without even touching it.

round up the kids on the way to catch the school bus n then when the driver told him to go home, jump the fence back in n we none the wiser, till we saw him do it ourselves

How can anyone say the Huskies owners were 'irresponsible' or have I missed some vital info?

Responsible owners also have their dogs escape from yards. It only takes some egghead to open a gate after you've left for work, or wind to blow down a fence or blow open a gate.

Trial by forum is always interesting.

That is exactly right Anne...

I have been a dog owner for 15 years...

My old dog was a renowned escape artist ... we would think we had escaped proofed the house and yeard, and he would find another way out ....

he was so sneaky hahahaha

So it does happen .... might have been the first time, the dogs escaped.

The way I read it, the owners of the huskies dog geek describes were found through the tag on the dead dog.

How was dog geek to know who the owners were when the dogs fled her yard? So how could she let the owners know what was happening?? I guess you could report it and hope the council tracked down all the husky owners in the shire - but it's a bit rough saying the fault lies with one of the victims.

They jumped onto her neighbour's shed.

Nothing says they were her neighbour's dogs, is that what you are assuming? :laugh:

They broke into three different chook cages I had my guineapigs, rabbits, chooks, and ducks in and slaughtered them all over about three months. After I saw them under moonlight, I gave up keeping small pets in the yard. - dog geek.

Well, it is quite easy to presume that the huskies were the neighbour's dogs given the comment that dog geek made (above). I would hardly assume that they jumped multiple fences before reaching dog geek's backyard. Whatever the case, if a couple of rogue dogs made a habit of coming into my very own backyard and killed my animals I would make a point of finding out who they belonged to in the hope that this would not happen again.....

Ah, so you did just presume and assume? I agree that is always quite easy. Especially if you want to leap to judgement.

I have no problem with the concept they went through more than one yard or over more than one fence. Given where one ended up dead.

Edited by Diva

How can anyone say the Huskies owners were 'irresponsible' or have I missed some vital info?

Responsible owners also have their dogs escape from yards. It only takes some egghead to open a gate after you've left for work, or wind to blow down a fence or blow open a gate.

Trial by forum is always interesting.

Yes. It is absolutely horrible for the owner of the Westie. And probably the husky owners were irresponsible and didn't make efforts to contain their dog properly.

But I guess it's also possible that the husky owners are usually responsible owners and perhaps just this once a tradesman or neighbour left the gate open, or the huskies dug out for the first time ever, or something else random happened like that to allow them to escape. I've never had my girl escape the yard, but I guess it could happen by freak chance one day.

Imagine if the husky owners have just discovered their beloved, "friendly" dogs have done this when they escaped and are going to be PTS? They'd feel just as awful as the Westie owner does. Not a good situation for anyone. :thumbsup:

Eh, sorry, haven't been keeping up with this thread.

No, the dogs were not the neighbours'... and until I spotted them I had no idea it was dogs breaking in, I just assumed it was foxes.

The night I spotted the Huskies, I had been keeping my small animals in the back porch for the last month or so (and, I if I might add, after seeing the dogs I stopped keeping them outside at all). So the bunnies were safe, and I only saw the Huskies because my window was open for the spring weather and I was not soundly asleep - by the time I got to the back door they had vanished, again without making any discernable noise... pretty spooky!

The dogs actually lived about 4km away from me; bout the same distance from the Lowline stud where they were shot.

It was a complete coincidence that I discovered they had been shot; as I mentioned the farmer was attending the playgroup and brought up the topic because she knew I was interested in dogs.

In the end, that incident and this recent one with the little Westie is really sad for all involved; and it convinces me that the breed needs to be contained in a roofed enclosure if not under immediate human supervision.

Love Huskies, just think they are a huge responsibility.

*Edited for clarity

Edited by dog geek