Hounded By The Law

Mila's Mum

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But even more ridiculous is how Good dog owners are tails down, back in their box, whimpering and yelping "bad dog owner" and having their animals' liberties curtailed at every juncture - banned from beaches, parks, playgrounds, cafes and all the rest. Muzzles on. Jackboots on ... and down this road we go. But maybe leave the dog at home, just to be safe.

It's not the whimpering dog owners with their tails down that have curtailed your liberties. It's the assholes that flaunt the law at every opportunity. Good for you if you want to clog up the court system by fighting the council ranger who slaps you with a fine for taking your dog into a prohibited area - I hope that gives you a sense of empowerment. This morning when I drive through a school zone I might put my foot down just because I think a 40k zone is ridiculous :cry:

Should people be able to walk down a country lane with an off-leash dog? Or should the fines still apply? For e.g. if I am visiting my friends in Cobbora, is it irresponsible to walk my three 12-year-old, small to middling, well-mannered dogs off-leash down the dirt road outside their house (and 100+ hectares) and if I am fined $330x3 should I defend the case?

If a responsible dog owner deems that no possible harm can be done by, or to, their very small dog on the rocks out of reach of any bather or anyone else on a beach ...

... we have such a different idea of dickhead it is quite amazing that we are even of the same species. We also have very different ideas about freedoms that are worth defending.

We also clearly have a very different notion of what enjoying dogs is all about - and here where I live, when beaches are E-M-P-T-Y, as they will be for hours on any weekday (and for days in winter), my boys and I will frolic and rejoice with any other of the many dog owners who also think stupid, stifling, ghastly laws that do no one but revenue any good should be shoved where the sun don't shine. And, yes, if I cop a fine I will fight it in court.

If rights aren't worth defending, some simple pleasures surely are.

Also, I despair of people blaming "irresponsible dog owners" all the time even when nothing has happened and less than bugger all (as in this instance) harm has been done. This person copped court costs that might have bought four rescues from Monika's. They think it's absurd, and so do I. But even more ridiculous is how Good dog owners are tails down, back in their box, whimpering and yelping "bad dog owner" and having their animals' liberties curtailed at every juncture - banned from beaches, parks, playgrounds, cafes and all the rest. Muzzles on. Jackboots on ... and down this road we go. But maybe leave the dog at home, just to be safe.

:o you tell em Hoff...it's astounding isn't it, how often some people on this, a DOG forum, are so quick to point the finger and patronise people who dare to take a stand against stupid, revenue raising dog related laws. And Raz, your example of speeding through 40 k zones is pretty specious - the laws regarding speed limits around schools actually serve a purpose, unlike the majority of dog related laws. It amazes me how many supposed dog lovers on here just accept more and more limits on their liberties to enjoy their dogs...and poke fun at people who say enough is enough.

"assholes that flaunt the law at every opportunity"?? You people kid yourselves if you think the laws are brought in for any reason but to raise money.

Dog owners are just another revenue base for local councils, and the sooner they do away with the whole corrupt lot of them, the better.

And Raz, if I got one of these stupid fines, you bet I would fight it in court - as is my democratic right to do. I'll take my turn behind all those AVO applications, people fighting speeding fines and all the other people "clogging up" the court system..

And Raz, if I got one of these stupid fines, you bet I would fight it in court - as is my democratic right to do.

I didnt say it wasnt your right but what's it going to achieve? You'll be $1200 poorer and would have wasted a day in Court - you wont be taking a stand against revenue raising - you'll be doing the opposite. Here's a plan - dont get the fine to start with. :( Seems like common sense to me but obviously not.

And it's all well and good for you to say people on this forum are patronising someone who ignored a prohibited area but it's perfectly acceptable for those of us who do the right thing to be ridiculed. How funny.

Now I'll quote mum to emma because this sums it up and maybe it'll miraculously sink in

In this case the council officer was being over zealous and the fine was ludicrous but they are no doubt responding to complaints about the huge number of dogs owners who think dog control signs don't apply to them.

The sign was there, dog owner ignored it, wasted a day in court and quadrupled his initial fine then came out with the ludicrous comment that the money could have bought 4 dogs from Monika's. That's laughable.

Scuse me now I'll just tuck under my tail and take my whimpering card carrying robotic self off to make a :o but atleast I still have $1200.

The law is an ass. Fellow we know, for eg, settled an argument by smacking his pal a good one on the head with a machete. Hospital long time. He is very probably the "criminal" these folk were sitting with, while wasting their lives, defending their case and standing up for dog owners who believe there's more to life that red tape.

They had carried a 10lb dog across some sand, and admitted as much: had they scrambled across rocks to assigned spot they'd have been within the law.

Aforementioned bloke had police descend in quantity to search his council home - and miraculously find no signs of dope dealing, but still his taxpayer-funded legal counsel expected a 4 to 6-year jail term.

He's home and hosed, hurrah! No costs at all but to the court and hospital systems and society. Think there's a two-year "good behaviour" bond.

Hmm.

People who carried a small dog across a patch of beach and did no harm to anyone or anything cop penalties of $1200. Hmm.

Thinks: I'll walk my dogs on empty beaches and take my chances that common sense prevails - though one does despair, rather.

Edited by hoffpig