Best Way To Stop A Bitch From Lactating?

my_sibe_owns_me

Somehow my girl found a bottle of garlic tablets (which I didnt even know there was such a thing till I found the chewed up bottle). After talking to posion control and spending hours at the Evet I was told not to let her nurse them any more by posion control and told 3 days at the most by the Evet????

Anyways they said I wont see the "side effects" for 3 to 5 days. Have to take her back in tomorrow for blood test and to recheck red blood cells. IF she ate 120 tablet they said she is going to get really sick and need a blood transfusion :rofl:

The puppies are 2 weeks old. I fought with them to bottle feed and it never seemed to be enough. they needed to eat every hour and some of them would hold off till they where starving. So I just started to weaning them and they are doing great, its keeping them full and they picked up on it like it was second nature. I dont trust her milk and agree with the posion control ppl so i would like her to dry up so I can let her have her puppies back (she throws herself at the door screaming for them. I will keep her wrapted when shes witht hem after she dries up so nothing gets started again.)

She has A LOT of milk right now. I have been putting her in the shower and running cold water over her belly before milking her. But she doesnt seem to be slowing down. I can tell shes in pain if i dont milk her every 2 hrs or so. Someone told me to get a tight shirt and to ace bandge her? Should I still milk her and use the warm compress or just wrapt her? If the vet visit turns out good tomorrow im sending her to someones house for a few days so she doesnt hear the puppies.

Any suggestions?

The more you milk her, the more she will produce :rofl: What did your vet suggest? They can probably prescribe something for her. if it were me, I would be drastically reducing her food, and increasing her exercise ... but if she has problems associated with the garlic- exercise may not be possible.

Be guided by your vet after her tests.

Sorry to hear about the problem :)

The more you milk her, the more she will produce :rofl: What did your vet suggest? They can probably prescribe something for her. if it were me, I would be drastically reducing her food, and increasing her exercise ... but if she has problems associated with the garlic- exercise may not be possible.

Sorry to hear about the problem :)

The vet I just stoped going to said she could have them back in less the 48 hrs...also said "its just garlic" lol so im trying a new vet tomorrow. The Evet said it should be out of her system within in 3 to 5 days but posion control (mind you Evets wouldnt even talk to me till I called posion control and talked to their vets and got a case number.) said "Should not nurse for several weeks. Puppies should be weaned by then."

Guess I will talk to vet tomorrow about how to get her to dry up. Just didnt know if anyone has had to get their bitch to dry up.

Sorry to hear about the problem :eek:

Is it all under control now?

Persies advice is correct.

Did your vet advise you?

I have heard there is an injection???

Home wise about all you can do is wrap her or pad her down in hot wet towels to ease her pain and try prevent milk fever

.Keep the hot towels on her as long as you can.

Sh-t always happens at 2-3 weeks .....oh no never at 4-5 weeks when it would have been less stress feeding the babies.

What did you end up doing?

lol I dont even know where to start. My girls blood count drop down to 16 at one point (still only at 19. daning on the line of blood transfusion.) I ended up putting a tight t-shirt ( i used the work out spandex stuff in the guys section and ace bandage.) on her and wraping the back ones. Made her feel much better and helped dry up some of the milk. Also I have sent her to someone elses house. She comes to see me still but doesnt get to stay long enough to hear puppies. She has been in and out of the vets and urgent care. She ended up with an awful case of masitis in one teat and is on meds for that amoung other things. lol its been a mess! I asked about a injection and was told there was nothing.

I'm sure there is an injection to give them because when i asked about it for my girl *( she got extremely ill from Mastitis, and kept producing milk) they said there was something you could give them...cannot remember the name of it, but will be looking into it for next time for sure. I wasn't told about it until afterwards and found the info from another vet!

I'm sure there is an injection to give them because when i asked about it for my girl *( she got extremely ill from Mastitis, and kept producing milk) they said there was something you could give them...cannot remember the name of it, but will be looking into it for next time for sure. I wasn't told about it until afterwards and found the info from another vet!

Yes,so am I.Sure there is and also tablet form.

I have to get vaccs this week so I will ask,that's the trouble we can't possibly know every thing & it's for the next time or some-one else in this situation.Can only hope it won't happen to us again!

For next time - including when you notice the onset of mastitis - get yourself some cabbage leaves, put them in the fridge and when cold, apply them to the teat(s) that you are trying to dry up. When they are no longer cold, change to a new cold leaf.

With mastitis, you can alternate the leaves with a warm compress - I have used just a facewasher run under hot water and wrung out. Massaging the teat is also helpful, although I would imagine that some bitches would object to it because they would be sore so it depends on what your bitch will let you do.

If you want to dry the bitch up entirely, just use the cold cabbage leaves until she has no more milk.

Sounds like an old wives tale, but it certainly works. :rofl:

For next time - including when you notice the onset of mastitis - get yourself some cabbage leaves, put them in the fridge and when cold, apply them to the teat(s) that you are trying to dry up. When they are no longer cold, change to a new cold leaf.

With mastitis, you can alternate the leaves with a warm compress - I have used just a facewasher run under hot water and wrung out. Massaging the teat is also helpful, although I would imagine that some bitches would object to it because they would be sore so it depends on what your bitch will let you do.

If you want to dry the bitch up entirely, just use the cold cabbage leaves until she has no more milk.

Sounds like an old wives tale, but it certainly works. :hug:

It does work but they stopped doing it in hospitals in favour of ice packs because of herbicides and pesticides used in the growing of the cabbages.

How are the puppies doing?

I really would have thought that the garlic would be out of her system by now?? :D

Edited by LizT

So ice packs instead of the leaves? She has to be dried up and wrapted before she can have them back.

She did let me massage a TON of goo out. It was pretty nasty. Shes a really good girl.

The garlic may be out of her system but none of its effects are. Her red blood cell count is still at 19. The masitis is pretty much gone. She still has a heart murmor and they dont know if it is from the garlic or if she got a valve infection. Shes on a ton of meds. They said she needed all of her enerngy build up her count rather then making milk.

Puppies are good. They got weaned at 2 weeks. The girls keep sucking the boys boy part so they are seperated now and he NOT happy that! :)

So ice packs instead of the leaves? She has to be dried up and wrapted before she can have them back.

She did let me massage a TON of goo out. It was pretty nasty. Shes a really good girl.

The garlic may be out of her system but none of its effects are. Her red blood cell count is still at 19. The masitis is pretty much gone. She still has a heart murmor and they dont know if it is from the garlic or if she got a valve infection. Shes on a ton of meds. They said she needed all of her enerngy build up her count rather then making milk.

Puppies are good. They got weaned at 2 weeks. The girls keep sucking the boys boy part so they are seperated now and he NOT happy that! ;)

Oh the poor girl. Sadly the best treatment for mastitis is stripping the milk. If you need to keep it to a minimal so production ceases. Also wind down her diet to a lower protein level if you haven't already so production eases. Yes at least not feeding will leave the nutrients for her.

Glad to hear the pups are doing well....photos please! So did you only have the one boy then? I did and five girls but I lost the boy due to cleft palate. :laugh:

I dont know how much I can stop feeding her. She gets a small meal every 1-2 hours to help with the red blood cell count. Shes not swollen or anythingbut shes not dried up either.

Sry to hear about the boy :laugh: but congrats on your girls ;)

I have 1 boy and 3 girls :rofl: They will be 4 weeks on wed.

3 week pics

pups3weeks4.jpg

pups3weeks2.jpg

pups3weeks1.jpg

Silver

silver3weeks2.jpg

Tiffany

Tiffany3weeks2.jpg

Audrey

Audrey3weeks1.jpg

And my Oscar man

Oscar3weeks2.jpg

Thanks :thumbsup: lol everyone loves silver. Shes soooooo smart. The first one to figure out the bottle, puppy mush and how to drink water. She figures out EVERYTHING first.

They are beautiful,shame they have to grow up! I love them in their wraps.

Well,my vet said the cabbage leaves are the best idea which has been advised to you yesterday.Now,there is an injection to dry up the milk,she said she doesn't like using it and didn't say what it was.....so I haven't been of much help to you today.

She was busy so I didn't pester her re the name....sure all vets would know what it is.

Lucky for you yours are a larger breed,if they were Chis at 2 weeks I would have had to bottle feed them......we all know how tiring that is around the clock!

Thanks :D lol everyone loves silver. Shes soooooo smart. The first one to figure out the bottle, puppy mush and how to drink water. She figures out EVERYTHING first.

They are beautiful,shame they have to grow up! I love them in their wraps.

Well,my vet said the cabbage leaves are the best idea which has been advised to you yesterday.Now,there is an injection to dry up the milk,she said she doesn't like using it and didn't say what it was.....so I haven't been of much help to you today.

She was busy so I didn't pester her re the name....sure all vets would know what it is.

Lucky for you yours are a larger breed,if they were Chis at 2 weeks I would have had to bottle feed them......we all know how tiring that is around the clock!

Thanks for the info :D

i got really lucky. They have been really heathly and strong puppies from the start. I did try to bottle feed them for 2 days and it was awful. They fought me the whole time and wanted to eat every hour but hated the bottle so they would hardly eat. They started off with baby oatmeal, milk and jar baby food. Took right to it and ate every 4 hrs.