Off Leash Problem

They have told him off and put him back on the lead and gone straight home but as it could be another 2kms back home it's not reinforcing it as a deterrant for his behaviour.....he still gets the enjoyment of the walk home.

Dali-love........the fear thing may be an issue, he is more secure on lead? All my friend said was he had raised hackles, blocked the path and barks with a deep warning bark?

I guess some professional obedience training may be worthwhile?

I just wanted to mention that telling the dog off, like your friends did, might not have got the message to the dog... he might have thought he was getting into trouble because there are people on the track, not because he barked.

I have learnt that when the dog barks at someone

it's better not to reprimand them. I know it's hard as the first reaction is to tell them they are bad, especially in front of the person that was scared by the dog.

But next time the dog will try and bark sooner (increase the distance) or louder as the person approaches.

It's like "hey you back off, I got in trouble last time someone came close, so you aren't coming near us !! "

They are more afraid of people approaching next time, or afraid of the punishment that happens when people approach. They don't relate the punishment to the barking.

Something similar has happened with our dog, we managed to call her back to heel and distract her. But no physical praise for coming back or verbal punishment for barking.

Appologised profusely to the person she scared, but tried to ignore the dog and kept her at heel.

It was in a way acknowleging to the dog that some one was there but not making a fuss at her reaction. So in time she didn't react to people on the track by barking. She's still wary though, so we have a long way to go...

I'd be interested in hearing any other practical ways to deal with this type of situation too

[i have learnt that when the dog barks at someone

it's better not to reprimand them. I know it's hard as the first reaction is to tell them they are bad, especially in front of the person that was scared by the dog.

When they asked what I thought about telling him off "Bad dog etc" I was a bit stumped and didn't know what sort of an impact it would have on Jack......that's why I suggested asking here for help.

It's a problem I've not encountered before with any of my dogs except for only once when a bush 'jogger' ran past me, then hurriedly turned back and ran straight up to me. My last dog, an ACD had ignored him initially but when he ran back my dog actually bit him on the bum! He only left red marks but it was a bit of a shock. The jogger only wanted to ask me the time! :rofl:

He did admit he did the wrong thing by running up to someone the way he did and that my dog was only protecting me.

With my friend's dog; apart from telling him off and apologising to the other bush walkers they didn't speak to him till they got home. The first time they thought berating him and putting him back on leash, then ignoring him was enough to make him understand it was not acceptable but he did it again a few days later. I guess that would be most people's first reaction in the same situation and these friend's are somewhat inexperienced large dog owners.

The wife grew up with SWFs and the husband only ever had cats. Fortunately they are very caring and very keen to do everthing right. I thought adopting a rescue was a good start! :rofl:

He is a big dog so it must have been pretty scary for the other walkers. :thumbsup:

Looks like they will have to be patient until they can see K9 Force.