Help! My Friend Said They Are Buying A Dog

fiveplusone

A good friend told me today her kids have fallen in love with all their friends small fluffy dogs...so after much thought they are going to get one. I have no doubt they will be a great family for the right dog but I was able to have a chat to her about purebreds vs crosses and where to buy dogs from and she is very open to all I have said....and I said I'd help her find the right dog and breeder. They aren't hurrying into it and they won't be getting a puppy until the new year so we have a bit of time and I do think after our talk she really wants to do the right thing and get a good puppy from a great breeder.

I asked her why she wasn't just getting a maltese instead of a cross breed and she said she had been told maltese don't have good temprements. I am sure someone will be able to tell me otherwise and I can put her mind at ease.

So for a family looking at a maltese x shitzu what breed of dogs should I be getting her to research? They have two active young boys (10 and 12). I told her I would give her the DOL website address so she can look at all the different breeds but would like to help her narrow it down to start off with.

Any suggestions?

What's wrong with a well breed Shih Tzu? Lhasas are lovely too.

Tell her that where she gets the dog from is just as important as the breed she picks. Tell her about BYBs and Puppy farms and why she shouldn't buy from a pet shop.

Then suggest she join here and tell us about her family and ask for recommendations. Nothing DOLers like much more than a 'what breed for us' thread. :laugh:

I spoke to someone at the park - there were two dogs that looked like puppy mill specials to me.

The one with the cockerspaniel x poodle x beagle x cavalier (I think) said she had a cavalier before but it was sick from day one, and died at 2 years old and they blamed that on it being "purebred". The breeder did nothing to help them except listen when they explained their problems. I asked the owner if the vet had said any of the problems were genetic - and she didn't know. WTF?

So now she was into bitzas - from - as best I could tell - puppy mills. Her new dog had a lovely friendly temperment but wasn't very obedient but lots of dogs are like that. And she said it hadn't cost her a cent at the vets. I said my bitsa had cost me loads - mostly extracting things she should not have eaten (the vomit treatment). I forgot to ask about vaccinations and worming and annual check ups. Sigh.

I did try to explain about genetic testing - and asked if the original cav breeder had done any. She said they'd done "all the research" and the cav breeder seemed like "such a nice lady". Gawd - if I had a $ for every time I heard "she seemed like such a nice lady" and the person is running a puppy mill. Blech.

I also asked her if she had told SACA / Dogs SA about the problems she'd had with her dog. Nope she had not. It was too traumatic to follow up (and prevent other people from having the same problem as her).

I tried, I guess, but some people you cannot help.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Maltese are lovely and most have fantastic temperaments (those from reputable places) - mine loves children and is very cuddly - however as they are quite small (ranging from 2-3.5 kg) not something I would recommend for a house with active children :D Unless they were very careful children.

I would suggest a Lhasa, Shih Tzu or Havanese all of which are lovely dogs with similar fluffy look but are bigger and slightly sturdier.

Tell them that my parents have a Malt X Shih who has had terrible joint problems resulting in $$$$ knee surgery and skin allergies due to bad breeding/genetics. Whilst a lovely dog my parents will never buy a DD again as their Pug has had very few health problems in comparison (they are the same age). Instead they want to get a Shih Tzu - which have the lovely placid laid back temperament they love.

Shih Tzu

Maltese are terrific, but Shih Tzu are bigger, and imho more able to stand up to the rough and tumble of children that age. And they always seem to me to have more of the personality to chase a football around the yard, where a Maltese is more suited to more sedate games. Temperament and personality is different too, and I think a Shih Tzu would suit better in that regard too.

Shih Tzu have great personalities I don't know anyone who doesn't just love theirs heaps.

If you get a purebred, you might get undershot, but you wont get those horrible buck teeth the cross breds always seems to have.

Good breeder - with healthy dogs and good temperaments, is essential. The difference between good registered and byb is enormous in "popular" breeds such as Shih Tzu, Maltese, Cavalier

Thanks everyone. this is the info I needed.

She has since emailed me and spoken with her husband and they really want to do the right thing so are very open to suggestions for breeds and to buying from a registered breeder so I am glad she told me they were wanting a puppy before they went out and bought one!

I am just disappointed I can't sway her to get a GSP....I just want at least ONE friend that has one too!

I am going with them getting a shih tzu....mainly because (among other breeds) I would like a purebred shih tzu one day.

I have a wee foxy/shih x and she is just the most gorgeous thing ever (think scruffy wee dog with a foxy shaped head and a shih tzu body) and I love her to bits and even though she doesnt facially look like a shih, and she has lots of terrier personality traits..she has made me want a shih tzu. I think its the lovely, sturdy but stumpy wee body LOL

Havanese please, lovely nature, non shed and not yappy! :thumbsup: :D :laugh:

Wow, sounds like quite a dog :laugh:

*Adds to list of dogs to reccomend to people who want a small dog*

Thats what my friend thought too.....until she googled and came up with a $2000 price tag! is this true???

Havanese please, lovely nature, non shed and not yappy! :thumbsup: :D :laugh:

Wow, sounds like quite a dog :laugh:

*Adds to list of dogs to reccomend to people who want a small dog*

Thats what my friend thought too.....until she googled and came up with a $2000 price tag! is this true???

Check with the Havanese folk but remember this is a very new breed to the country.

What attracts the family to the smaller fluffies?