Older Dogs And Anesthesia

moosepup

My Zoe girl is going in to have her teeth done on Friday. Whilst she is pretty spritely, I'm still a little nervous cos she's 11.5 years old. She will be having a pre-op blood test to make sure her liver and whatnot is in good order and the vet nurse said they use a different anesthesia for elderly animals.

I know I'm probably just being a worry wart but can't help it. :D

Any positive stories about older dogs and ops please?? :laugh:

My Grumpy had an anasthesia aged 14 and came out of it well. He had all the pre-op tests to make sure. I took the week off work, not because of the anaesthesia but because he tore his stitches and was Mr Bucket Head for a week. He couldn't fit in his crate so we camped in the lounge room!

That's good to hear Sheridan (not the stitches part!!), thanks. :laugh: I have had to take many a day off work for my managerie. :D

I work quite a ways from home so I'm going to take the day off so I'm only 10 mins away just in case. Plus someone has to stay home and snuggle with Moose in her absence!

11.5 to have her teeth cleaned. Had the full blood test two days beforehand (was due for one)and then had her teeth done. All went well - she was the same as she was as a 6yo that night (ie as long as she was blocked from going upstairs - she tried that and crashed into the wall or back down the one step in the 2 seconds it took me to get there and block it off). However the next day she was still in lala land - would pick up for a few minutes then would be tired out again. Took her to work as it was that or stay home as she hadnt shown much interest in drinking (its not like she moved from behind the desk). Started licking at the stitiches (she had a couple of lumps off at the same time) that night and by the next day she was much better. Well until the 'cone of shame' then she sat there and stared at me for a good 20 minutes without moving.

Edited by rubiton

We do many many dentals on older patients (they are the ones that need it!)

In fact we are doing a dental on an 18yr old this week! If you have top quality equipment/staff/anaesthetics and take precautions such as pre anaesthetic bloods and fluids, anaesthetics even in older dogs are quite safe.

No anaesthetic is 100% but they are much much safer than they used to be!

:eek:

Thanks all, you're making me feel much better! ;) The Vet I'm going to now is excellent, they did a great job with Moose's burn so I feel pretty comfortable with them. Her breath is pretty bad :( so I'm thinking there might be a few extractions. I tried other teeth cleaning methods (more bones, strips of muscle meat, dry biccies etc) but she's just not a chewer (never has been) so it was quite difficult. Plus I think she was too far gone. :(:eek: Moose loves bones and chewing on toys so hopefully won't ever need his done.

Well until the 'cone of shame' then she sat there and stared at me for a good 20 minutes without moving.

:) My dogs are 'cone freezers' too.

The majority of our patients are older dogs and they all cope very well. They tend to take a little bit longer to recover (in that the younger dogs will be back to their normal self by that night, whereas the older ones might take a full 24 hrs) but otherwise, they generally have nice, stable anaesthetics and recoveries. We have also knocked out cruddy old dogs with heart murmurs and rotten teeth, and they have all been fine too. :eek:

Good luck for Zoe on Friday. :)

My eldest dog had dental work done at age 15. She came out of the anaesthetic well, but was quite slow for the next 24 hours. She slept VERY soundly that night, to the point where I was checking on her every half hour or so. She was fine.

A week later, it was like nothing had happened.

The risk is higher, but I'm sure your vet will look after her well. Ask for extra fluids - she'll have a drip which will help with hydration and expelling the drugs more quickly. The vet should have suggested it as a matter of course for an older dog. More $$$, but way worth it, imo.

Sonia

ETA Sally did not need any extractions. She still has all her teeth, except for 2 front one she busted on bones as a youngster... :eek:

This is Sally age 15 with her minions (the Salukis, Arella & Moss).

post-9713-1287398330_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hafhafa Hounds

Yay, such positive stories, I feel like a doof for being worried now!!

I will mention the extra fluids Hafhafa, thanks. Not concerned about price if it makes her feel better. :)

Thanks for well wishes Kirty. :(

Sounds like we have some great golden oldies on the board. :eek:

Zoe had her dental today and no problems whatsoever. She has nice white chompers now and didn't need any extractions. :( I also had them do full bloods which came back perfect and got her microchipped. I wasn't going to get her chipped as the couple of times she's gotten out of an open gate she walks straight to the front door and demands to be let back in. :( But it's definitely a good idea just in case, plus it was cheap!

She's groggy now but hopefully will pick up tomorrow. She should sleep well tonight that's for sure! Thanks for all the good vibes!! ;)

Great to hear the good news

You will be amazed how dental work can improve their health and well being. After having Mollys done she eats well and seems to be a much happier dog, apart from the fact we don't mind kisses now :(