Website With Wrong Details

Dogsfevr

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome news :laugh:

Yay for Super Troy :laugh:

ETA: I just checked my emails and she had replied to mine also, I do hope she is going to use a Copy/Paste if she is to reply to all of the emails she would have received!!

Edited by 2psinapod

This has been posted on the front page.

Attention! Please read

At some point in the last fortnight, my website's security was compromised, and a whole heap of junk data was loaded to my site. This included

a. Breeders details from other sites.... except with the details all changed.

b. Thousands of offers for the sale of different pharmaceuticals.

c. Hundreds of Adult videos were loaded onto pages, and were automatically downloading when people visited those pages.

I am mortified by this attack on my site which is run only as a hobby site.

I have now rolled back my site database to a time predating this attack, and am currently attempting to locate the source of the attack, and how those responsible gained access to my site. I apologise to anyone who was affected by this event - I am doing all I can to rectify the problem and ensure it does not happen again.

Nici Bruckner

I just love the description of the Kerry.

"they need grooming occasionally with brush and comb"

"Its coat is meant to look unkempt"

You mean to say that I'm doing all this grooming for nothing. :laugh:

It's all very well for her to blame another for the botch up of the site (so she says) but all the same it still needs to have correct information in all the other areas as well for the general public who may be looking for breed information.

This website has links to fake facebook pages and other fake sites that requested passwords to log on. Suspect the whole site is a website set up as a fake to get people's personal information and passwords. (Phishing and malware viruses etc) DONT VISIT IT (unless you really trust your anti-virus software). If it sends you to something that looks like facebook - it isn't.

Guest CaptainCourageous

A Google Search suggests it's bad programming rather than a security flaw - if you're going to run a website, get someone to maintain it!

• 1 month later...

Hello All

My name is Michael Andrews, and I was also affected by the problems at JustUsDogs. I had previously simply joined the newsletter...but found myself receiving emails from people wishing to purchase vet grade steroids! The then owner, Nici Bruckner advised me her website had been hacked and all sorts of fake listings, drugs for sale, and extreme adult imagery had been posted to the site.

I am a web professional, and have helped Nici with the winding back of the site to its pre hacking state, and locked down the site to prevent it happening again.

More recently, Nici has asked if I would consider purchasing the site as she did not have the time or resources needed to bring it up to scratch.(I am sure everyone here has seen the problems. Poor breed descriptions, poor listing layouts, poor services section). We have as of today, finalised terms for a sale of the site and assuming our lawyers can work out all the fine details, I will officially take over the site on the 14th of December.

The site is the top ranking site in Australia for "Dogs" and to me its such a shame its content does not measure up to its rankings.

My first task will be to update the breed descriptions, which are by any definition, poor.

Next, i will be revamping the services offered to members, which are very dated.

Then, I will be locking down the offering of puppies to sale properly, so only registered breeders can do so.

With lots more to come in the new year.

I appreciate many people were affected by the problems with the site, and I don't expect trust to be regained quickly, but please know I am on the case, I will be working hard over the next 3 months to make the site the site it should be.

Anyone who wishes to contact me with suggestions of comments, positive or negative, please do feel free to do so, I am here to listen.

Guest CaptainCourageous
Anyone who wishes to contact me with suggestions of comments, positive or negative, please do feel free to do so, I am here to listen.

I went to advertise a pup on the site a few weeks ago and didn't make much progress.

Is the site still running as a going concern?

I was also affected by the hack / failure to maintain up-to-date code.

CC

I have a feeling we need to sit tight while Michael sorts out the mess. He seems to have his work cut out for him! Fingers crossed he can make a go of it.

Edited to say thank you Michael for so quickly sorting out the issue with my name being associated with a dodgy breed description that I didnt write. I had been trying to get it sorted for well over six months before you came on the scene. Yes, I do agree, the breed descriptions definitely need work and it will be nice to see the website change to one that provides correct and reliable information.

Edited by espinay2

Yes, its still running as a going concern - i was pretty shocked though considering the traffic how little effort has gone into it. I had trouble adding a listing, and found parts of the site confusing. I'm not keen to take the whole site down for 6 weeks till its fixed - that would risk the site's NO.1 rankings.... but I am considering suspending the addition of listings till I fix all of the programming.

Hello All

My name is Michael Andrews, and I was also affected by the problems at JustUsDogs. I had previously simply joined the newsletter...but found myself receiving emails from people wishing to purchase vet grade steroids! The then owner, Nici Bruckner advised me her website had been hacked and all sorts of fake listings, drugs for sale, and extreme adult imagery had been posted to the site.

I am a web professional, and have helped Nici with the winding back of the site to its pre hacking state, and locked down the site to prevent it happening again.

More recently, Nici has asked if I would consider purchasing the site as she did not have the time or resources needed to bring it up to scratch.(I am sure everyone here has seen the problems. Poor breed descriptions, poor listing layouts, poor services section). We have as of today, finalised terms for a sale of the site and assuming our lawyers can work out all the fine details, I will officially take over the site on the 14th of December.

The site is the top ranking site in Australia for "Dogs" and to me its such a shame its content does not measure up to its rankings.

My first task will be to update the breed descriptions, which are by any definition, poor.

Next, i will be revamping the services offered to members, which are very dated.

Then, I will be locking down the offering of puppies to sale properly, so only registered breeders can do so.

With lots more to come in the new year.

I appreciate many people were affected by the problems with the site, and I don't expect trust to be regained quickly, but please know I am on the case, I will be working hard over the next 3 months to make the site the site it should be.

Michael - the biggest concerns were that the site obviously became a phising website were people were sent to fake links for pages such as facebook where passwords were able to be retrieved when users were prompted to re log-in. Would hope that this is the first thing that is fixed.

I really wouldn't want anything to do with that site, doesn't matter who they say is running it, also shocked to hear its the number one dog website, had never heard of it until the problems. Think its all a bit sus

I really wouldn't want anything to do with that site, doesn't matter who they say is running it, also shocked to hear its the number one dog website, had never heard of it until the problems. Think its all a bit sus

I think the position you have taken against the site Bokezu is one deserved and no doubt, its held by more than you.

Justusdogs, is not the first site to be hacked. Westpac Bank has been hacked and defaced, as well as losing control of thousands of credit card numbers. Hundreds of sites every day are subject to attacks, and many succumb. Even Matt Cutts(senior webspam guy at Google) has had his website hacked and defaced. A similar technique used to hack the JustUsDogs site(SWL injection), was used to hack the NASA website just last year.

I'm not making any excuses for the security problems historically experienced by JustUsDogs - the site had not been updated from a technology perspective for many years. All I am saying is that it can and does happen to websites from time to time, and whilst its a terrible thing, I hope in this case it is not seen as an unforgivable sin.

I intend to revamp the site as promised and keep an ongoing dialogue with breeders to try and win back some trust. As the services and quality of the site improve, I hope in time to win some people over.

As far as I can tell, the site has been No.1 on Google.com.au for "Dogs" for at least 3 years. Whilst other sites are clearly more well known within the pure breed dog breeder community.... to the casual web surfer in Australia interested in a "Dogs"...well... these people go to Google, type in "Dogs" and get the Just Us Dogs website.

Now, if I can bring the site technology and content up to a quality deserving of this ranking - i hope that everyone will win out as a result.

My user account is open to receive messages, if anyone wishes to offer me some advice privately, or get something off their chest - fire away. I am in this for the long term, my goals are real and pure and I am happy to take all advice and criticism as being useful if sometimes painful to hear.

Edited by michaeljud

Typing in dogs brings up

Images of dogs

Just dogs

Wikapaedia

dogsonline

dogzonline -dogs for sale. :o

That means that that could be a where a lot of people head.

In my breed there are quite a few BYB's who advertise constantly.

If Michael can get the site up with integrity then I think pure beed ethical people should support it.

Jaxx'sbuddy

I expect you are right, in that many people will be more specific with their searches... though I'm not sure the "pure breed dog" is ever going to be a high traffic term. the term pure breed, seems to be more a term that breeders associate with, not so much people looking for a dog for a pet.

Looking at the JustUsDogs stats, the people that navigate to the puppies for sale pages type in the following

Dogs

Dogs for Sale

Puppies for Sale

Dog Breeds

with then a whole heap of combination's of dog breed + breeders

I appreciate JUD stats will be somewhat skewed, because its only on page 2 for Pure breed Dogs.... but looking at the internet generally, comparing say google trends here http://www.google.com/trends?q=dog+breeds%...=all&sort=0?

Dog Breeds is far more used by punters than pure dog breeds.... I think in part because many potential dog owners just assume that if they search for dog breeds, that they will be pure breed dogs. They don't appreciate the need to specify this in their search? Well... that's what I am thinking is the result of these stats anyway.

But Jaxx's buddy, I take your point. Just Us Dogs is not number one for many important terms relating to dog breeds and breeders, though it is top 10 for many.

For example for the search "dog breeds" the dogsonline site comes in at 5, Just Us Dogs at 8.

In my mind, there is no question that the dogsonline site is by far and away the best pure breed dog site in Australia. I can't be too concerned about this - my eyes are on the future. All I can do is improve it, and give everyone another option.

Anyway, with that said, I am looking at January 15 as the relaunch date, with new breed descriptions and features for breeders and will make a public announcement when the changes go live.