How Do Your Dogs Wake Up In The Morning?

tlc

Hi Guys, just curious as to how your dogs get out of bed in the morning? Are they big on sleeping in or are they eager to get out and about?

I only work part time so on the days I don't go to work till the arvo me and the dogs love to sleep in, on the days I go to work early, 7 on Friday and 8 on Saturday they are not impressed.

I made a little video of the younger 3, On this particular morning OH got up, let Bronson out of his crate (he gets up with me for a cuddle) and Cooper went to the kitchen with him. I then got up made the bed around them and had my shower and they were still asleep. This little video shows what sleepy heads they are :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp4dIQTPc1U

So how do your doggies wake up in the morning, are they early birds or sleepy heads??

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a couple of each.

one of my JRT's loves nothing better than to sleep in if by your side, the kelpie bounces out of bed but again, once toileted she will happily curl up and go back to sleep.

The Cattle dog is wide awake once awake. There's no settling her back down, but she's really funny when she goes to sleep at night. lots of stretching and loud groaning going on like an old man. :)

My girl generally launches herself at me the second I show any sign of life, often screaming with excitement, followed by jumping up and down on top of the duvet. She must sit there waiting for me to start to wake up, since she often jumps on me the very second I open my eyes.

She has twice given me a bleeding nose doing this, so is now tied to the other end of the bed with a leash. :)

Kaos is a bouncy morning person, she is up before the alarm and knows she cant wake me, i often feel her sitting next to bed, waiting for the alarm to go off, once it rings, she attacks me and and goes all stupid

Atlas, 99% of the time i have to drag him out in the mornings, He hides under my covers once i get up, so I have to pull them off, lift him off the bed onto the floor, where he will then lay down again, then get him up on all 4s, and push him out the door, he drives me mad!

I WISH mine would sleep in. Up at the crack of dawn - first bird starts chirping and they want out :laugh: The birds around here have a death wish - especially the young ones. I've seen them "dive bombing" at the dogs. No rest for the wicked around here. :)

Awww they are so cute!! LOL Didn't like they were going anywhere in a hurry!

Mine vary. Pepper sneaks up on the bed at some point in the am and burrows under the quilt then cuddles quietly into me, I usually sleep right through that. Sometimes Dylan will also sneak up and lie on top of the quilt tucked into the back of my knees. Tango just stays in his bed. :o awwwww

UNTIL I make a "I'm awake" noise of any kind. Then Tango leaps excitedly up on the bed and squashes Pepper coz he didn't see her. She thrashes about under the quilt trying to escape often accidentally clawing me in the process. Dylan thinks it's all a great game and leaps onto my stomach or side or whatever is exposed and sticks his nose in my mouth/nose/ear and flicks licks at me. Tango also high-steps on my tummy etc trying to avoid the wriggling Pepper under the quilt. Then Tango slides down with his head cuddled into mine, front first on his side, followed by his back then as his back hits the quilt he rolls fully on his back and wriggles estatically while moaning and flinging his legs in the air and (gently) mouthing my hand or face or whatever he can reach. :)

Meanwhile Pepper has usually slid out of the side of the bed and then jumps back up, sits almost on my head leaning against the bedhead and waves her front leg around asking for a chest scratch. At the same time DYlan generally has decided being under the quilt looks like the best fun so he's trying to wriggle his way in (plus it gets him out of the range of Tango's teeth and he's worried by Tangos wierd rolling around and moaning noises) Often Dylan somehow slides under the quilt (on the non-Tango side) usually on his back, head first a little at a time with his legs in the air grabbing the quilt as he goes. It really is a sight to see him slowly disappearing under the quilt as if he's on a conveyor belt with his little belly and back "frog" legs sliding under the quilt at the very end hahaha . :laugh:

MEANWHILE = Tango is still wriggling and flinging and moaning and Pepper is still bashing me on the head for a pat and if Tango's head goes near her he makes a wierd half bark sound and mouths her face heee heee She is used to that now but it freaks me out because my head is also in the general vicinity. And then Dylan gets bored, wriggles out of the side of the bed and leaps back up on top of the bed - usually on top of Tango who snarls and lunges at him sending Dylan flying and Pepper scampering into me and I yell RIGHT EVERYONE OFF THE FREAKING BED because I'm getting squashed and harassed by everyone. And all the dogs go -> :eek:

If I try to hide under the covers and pretend to go back to sleep they wait a while and then it all starts all over again. Until I yell FINE I'LL GET UP THEN. ANd they all joyfully scamper up the hallway with tails going nuts. :laugh: YAY SHE's UP!!! FOOOOOODDDDD!!!!!!! PLAY!!!!!! BARK AND FIGHTTTTTTT!!!!!!

Well...... you did ask. ;)

mollie wakes me up anywhere from 4.30 am for a potty break and then goes back to sleep till about 6am then she goes out the back with our older dog till 7am when she comes in for breakie, then back outside till 8.30am then comes inside and sleeps till lunch,

i thought daylights savings would make her sleep in but it only lasted one morning, 7am she woke up, but she fixed that pretty quick and was back to the early starts the next morning

:)

This is great!!! :)

Mine stir a bit by about 5.30am to 6am. I'm a light sleeper, so this wakes me. Then when I decide to actually move they get excited and come over to my side of the bed and want lots of pats. :laugh:

Isn't it great to be woken by your dogs.

Edited by chuckie500

:) great stories, I love that they are all soooo different in their routines! Some mornings when my OH lets Bron out of his crate, I know he is sitting at the Side of the bed waiting for me to pat the bed for his ok to get up, the he goes right back to sleep.

Some mornings if I have had a late night and am having a big sleep in and they wake before me, I can feel them willing me to wake up but they just wait till I'm ready which is great. On the odd occasion I wake up to a head on my pillow and I'm nose to nose with one of them. :laugh: I hope I can wake up like this for the rest of my life!!

:) great stories, I love that they are all soooo different in their routines! Some mornings when my OH lets Bron out of his crate, I know he is sitting at the Side of the bed waiting for me to pat the bed for his ok to get up, the he goes right back to sleep.

Some mornings if I have had a late night and am having a big sleep in and they wake before me, I can feel them willing me to wake up but they just wait till I'm ready which is great. On the odd occasion I wake up to a head on my pillow and I'm nose to nose with one of them. :laugh: I hope I can wake up like this for the rest of my life!!

LOL TLC - Yeah I know that "nose to nose" thing - it's a split second of shock and then sooooo nice. I'm the same. Mad as my morning wake-ups are, since Dylan arrived especially, I wouldn't change it for the world. I might need to teach Dylan not to be quite so rough on my tummy but that'll happen :laugh:

Mindy used to be a nightmare- waking at 5.30 an demanding to be wwalked or played with.

Now i've gotten her into a routine of out for toileting at 6.30am, a quick breakfast and then back upstairs to sleep in till about 8am. Daylight saving has made a big difference.

if i don't go back to bed, she won't choose to go back to sleep though.

Mine both sleep on the bed with me but mornings can start differently.

If my sister goes to work before me then she opens my door and her big hairy beast come and sleeps on the bed with us till it is time for my alarm to go off. Then she is all business, getting the other two off the bed and out of my room ready for their morning toilet break. then all into the kitchen where they can watch all the exits in case I try and sneak out of the house without giving them breakfast (which of course never happens).

Some mornings my old girl wakes between 4 and 6 and decides she's awake for the day. Usually she does this when she has kept me awake all night wanting to get on and off the bed for a drink or toilet break (she has dementia). So these days the younger one (usually under my doona fast asleep) and I usually groan and try and ignore her as best we can while she walks all over us, tries to make us play, licks us, barks at us and is generally a pest until we get up. Whilst I do scream at her to leave me alone she is deaf so it makes no difference!

Then other days it is the young girl who decides I should be up (those days I don't have work and would like a sleep in). She has been known to sit on my chest (18kgs), lick my face, scratch the doona off me, bark at me, whatever it takes. Then once I give in and wake up she flops herself over my body and wants either chest or inner thigh scratches. I only know which by her back legs kicking me in the relevant direction. If I don't properly commit to morning scratches and start falling asleep again she pokes or licks my face. Then once I am out of the bed she and the older girl play fight until I open my door and my sister's dog comes in and rouses on them for being 'naughty' and drives them out for a pee.

I wonder why I'm tired.....

Bonnie an early bird? Hmmmm not a chance! Bonnie does not do mornings, she doesnt even do nights. Trying to move her between 6pm and 10am is a nightmare. She will eventually shift her bum into gear but not before 3 "stretch-and-pauses" . Big long stretch,freeze in postion and pause to see if I am serious about telling her to move her bum, all the time sporting the saddest eyes possible. Then repeat..... Heaven forbid that its cold outside, she then stands in the doorway untill you push her bum out. Indie will generally lie in too but as soon as I tell him to go out he will trot over to the door eager to start the day. Occasionaly if I sleep in and he is desperate, he will open 3doors and come to my bedside to lick my hand and wake me up before bolting for the back door lol.

Edited by julzjc

Both our boys are lazy in the mornings I will be up showered and had coffee and ready for work and I have to kick them out of bed :)

Cooper our BC cross boy has not always been like this he used to get up at the crack of dawn and want to toilet then play we are not morning people in our house :laugh:

Maybe we haven't been the best influence.....