Should I Be Worried Hes Not Eating A Lot

hi everyone puppy is 11 weeks old, had him 2 weeks, we been feeding him innova, but ill be changing to advance biscuits when it runs out, i have tried him on advance puppy plus chicken n rice, he seems to like this a lot, but i ran out today, and only had the biscuits. I had to go out in the morning so we left him enough for mornin and lunch, when i got back, it looked like he hadnt touched anything. I have given him some for dinner too and hes ate a couple of the biscuits.

Hes only small, cross of jack russell and chiuaua.

Im just wondering should i be worried hes only eatin a little, could he not really like the biscuits, should i just try him on the dog meat instead, or try changin biscuits, or is it just trial and error

thanks

tracy

He would have a tiny stomach.. hopefully a toy breed breeder/owner will be able to advise on what's considered an appropriate meal for such a pup.

However, if he's gaining weight, growing and doesn't look like a toast rack, I expect he's getting enough.

hi everyone puppy is 11 weeks old, had him 2 weeks, we been feeding him innova, but ill be changing to advance biscuits when it runs out, i have tried him on advance puppy plus chicken n rice, he seems to like this a lot, but i ran out today, and only had the biscuits. I had to go out in the morning so we left him enough for mornin and lunch, when i got back, it looked like he hadnt touched anything. I have given him some for dinner too and hes ate a couple of the biscuits.

Hes only small, cross of jack russell and chiuaua.

Im just wondering should i be worried hes only eatin a little, could he not really like the biscuits, should i just try him on the dog meat instead, or try changin biscuits, or is it just trial and error

thanks

tracy

I'd say he likes the advance puppy plus chicken n rice, and is not hungry enough to tackle too many of the biscuits - which may well be second best choice. :bolt:

When my dog starts to knock back her ration of dry, I know she's had enough and I cut back a little on the feed I give her. If I weigh her at that point, she is usually a bit heavier than usual. She has a natural weight control thing which is really good as she has never been too far overweight. :laugh:

If you can weigh the pup and keep track of the weight, I think that would be a good thing.

And if you really must change to Advance, I wouldn't be waiting until you run out. You will run the risk of tummy upset if you change the diet suddenly. If you really MUST change, then get some Advance now, before you run out of the other food and gradually mix the Advance with it so that the changeover is gradual.

I love the Advance, I feed it myself, but I agree, just make sure you change gradually as puppies have very sensitive digestive systems.

If your pup is gaining wheight and is healthy then he is getting enough.

As mentioned above, wheigh your pup so you know you are on track.

Also the Advance products have a very good guide of how much to feed on their packaging. This is not always 100% gospel, but it's a good guide.

the innova is very expensive, cost $50 for 2.7kg and he just doesnt seem that keen on it at all, i have mixed some with dog meat (advance) which he loves, so i will gradually change

Hi Tracey,

Have you introduced raw chicken necks,legs,wings,minced beef,bones etc for main meals when you are home?

I'm sure he would love it,have a look at the BARF posts,it is very rewarding to give them what they love & so good for them

I leave out Puppy Optimum for puppies when I can't be home as they need to eat small amounts but frequent whilst so young so to avoid sugar drop.

I leave out Puppy Optimum for puppies when I can't be home as they need to eat small amounts but frequent whilst so young so to avoid sugar drop.

Afraid I'm not a big believer in doing this. Leaving food available all the time can encourage finicky eating rather than a good healthy appetite for set meal times. Also, it can be hard to monitor the amount of food a dog is getting if it is free ranging. And finally, the food runs the risk of contamination if left out all the time.

Far healthier to set 3 or 4 mealtimes and stick to them. Put food down for 10 - 15 minutes and then remove it. They soon learn that they eat when the food is available.

Afraid I'm not a big believer in doing this. Leaving food available all the time can encourage finicky eating rather than a good healthy appetite for set meal times. Also, it can be hard to monitor the amount of food a dog is getting if it is free ranging. And finally, the food runs the risk of contamination if left out all the time.

Far healthier to set 3 or 4 mealtimes and stick to them. Put food down for 10 - 15 minutes and then remove it. They soon learn that they eat when the food is available.

Me either,only when not home.Some times can't always be there.Rather leave some food than come home to a collapsed or comotosed puppy.

Me either,only when not home.Some times can't always be there.Rather leave some food than come home to a collapsed or comotosed puppy.

Very very rare. And on those days when it isn't possible to be at home, it is far easier, and a lot safer to rearrange the feeding schedule to still allow for 3 or 4 meals.