Herding Talk Thread

Well, I survived the trial :laugh:

Blew our first duck run, I was so nervous I couldn't think straight :( so we bombed at the Z. But got it together for our next run and scored 90. No major faults, just minor point deductions here and there. Need to do a lot more work with ducks, it's been a long time since we've trained seriously on them. But I think we're almost ready for intermediate.

Sheep runs - he bolted in the first run as we approached the peg - you'll see me chasing him down in the video :o but he settled well after that (except for one little slice before the C post - also on the vid). Second run started much nicer. I even attempted a little driving in spots with mixed success. All in all, I was happy with how he worked, considering I made a bit of a hash of giving commands (gotta sort out these trial nerves!). No scores as cards are being held over til tomorrow, but the run in the video apparently scored 93.5, including a 5 mark penalty for misbehaviour, so would've scored 98.5 had he started properly!

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Haven't been on here for ages but got a little :whee: to add, took Izzi out training the other day, I stood in the middle of the course & she took the sheep around, our sheep don't draw to people. Didn't do it in order & our paddock is 50m x 120m so Izzi had to think & work hard, it wasn't always text book but she did it, I'm so pleased with her she's a ripper litle working dog :hug: & I'm not bias at all :laugh:.

Had the herding training Xmas party last weekend, it was heaps of fun, just relaxing herding, no real training.

Bronte has decided she is the ultimate multitasker and had two runs herding sheep ok and barking at ME the whole way round. Need to fix her back chat or I'm going to go mental out in the herding paddock.

Ren started on the long line as we were working in the Started paddock and he's only ever herded in a yard. After a few minutes on the line he got let off and played very quietly, calmly and cleverly with the sheepies. Awww...he's such a lovely boy. Hoping for good things from him over the next couple of years, but at 11 mths, I'm pretty darn chuffed with him now.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

Had the herding training Xmas party last weekend, it was heaps of fun, just relaxing herding, no real training.

Bronte has decided she is the ultimate multitasker and had two runs herding sheep ok and barking at ME the whole way round. Need to fix her back chat or I'm going to go mental out in the herding paddock.

Ren started on the long line as we were working in the Started paddock and he's only ever herded in a yard. After a few minutes on the line he got let off and played very quietly, calmly and cleverly with the sheepies. Awww...he's such a lovely boy. Hoping for good things from him over the next couple of years, but at 11 mths, I'm pretty darn chuffed with him now.

Perhaps put Bronte back in the round yard and shape the barking out? I did some of that on the weekend with a delightful little BC x Heeler who has quite a mouth on her! Once she figured out I wasn't going to let her work if she was barking, she became amazingly quiet.

Sounds like Ren is coming along nicely, can't wait to see him again!

I think Cash has finally got shape on his flanks! He has been doing some lovely work, nice wide circles and really nice back ends of outruns. Very pleased with him.

He has also cottoned on to off balance "right there" and now turns in on his own, rather than me having to block him to get him to turn in.

My "work on one thing at a time" plan seems to be paying off!

Hi all. Sent my membership application into the VHA today, quite excited about it.

There are no clinics listed on the website yet and I'm a bit at a loss of where to start with herding. We are out in the Yarra Valley, so if there is anyone who lives out this way who trains frequently and feels like involving a newbie then I'd love any opportunities I can get. Happy just to tag along and watch and learn at first. My girl is "out" with a litter at the moment, but I do have a male I am keen to get working with. He's a bit of a big goof ball but he's obedient enough with the basics and recall. Both have seen livestock as we have 40acres of our own, but maybe not ducks, just chickens! smile.gif

Excited to get started, especially as Tracking is put on hold every warm season and obedience schools are out for recess. Thanks biggrin.gif

Hi all. Sent my membership application into the VHA today, quite excited about it.

There are no clinics listed on the website yet and I'm a bit at a loss of where to start with herding. We are out in the Yarra Valley, so if there is anyone who lives out this way who trains frequently and feels like involving a newbie then I'd love any opportunities I can get. Happy just to tag along and watch and learn at first. My girl is "out" with a litter at the moment, but I do have a male I am keen to get working with. He's a bit of a big goof ball but he's obedient enough with the basics and recall. Both have seen livestock as we have 40acres of our own, but maybe not ducks, just chickens! smile.gif

Excited to get started, especially as Tracking is put on hold every warm season and obedience schools are out for recess. Thanks biggrin.gif

I'm in the Yarra Valley and normally train at Nyora (http://www.herdingtraining.com). Paul McPhail is doing some training in Wantirna now too (http://belokakelpies.com/city-slicker-dog-school).

Have posted this in the Aussie Pics but thought I'd put it here too. I'm hoping to go to the Trudy Viklund clinic in January but have to find some where dog friendly to stay close to Nyora, have to bring all 4 of my dogs. The motel I stayed in last time has been sold, no dogs inside now & if I leave them in the car they'll bark. Just need some where to sleep with, hopfully, a shower & toilet. don't care if it's a motel, caravan park or some thing else, have thought of hiring a camper van & driving that over. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have posted this in the Aussie Pics but thought I'd put it here too. I'm hoping to go to the Trudy Viklund clinic in January but have to find some where dog friendly to stay close to Nyora, have to bring all 4 of my dogs. The motel I stayed in last time has been sold, no dogs inside now & if I leave them in the car they'll bark. Just need some where to sleep with, hopfully, a shower & toilet. don't care if it's a motel, caravan park or some thing else, have thought of hiring a camper van & driving that over. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sorry Dova, can't help there, I camp at Kate's. I think people who have attended previous clinics have stayed in Korumburra? Maybe JulesP might know somewhere.

Sorry Dova, can't help there, I camp at Kate's. I think people who have attended previous clinics have stayed in Korumburra? Maybe JulesP might know somewhere.

I stayed in Korumburra last time but the motel has been sold & no dogs any more, starting to get desperate cos I really want to go. Considering a camper van, 4 dogs & me in the car is a bit to squishy :laugh:.

I stayed in Korumburra last time but the motel has been sold & no dogs any more, starting to get desperate cos I really want to go. Considering a camper van, 4 dogs & me in the car is a bit to squishy :laugh:.

I'm sure Kate would have no issues with that - I know people who have stayed up there before in a camper van - you could even hook up to electricity in the shed if you want to live in luxury!

I'm getting excited - so many questions for Trudy! Been brushing up on flanks - I think we have frame of mind, eyes out and shape but want to be sure Cash isn't going to make a fool of me and make me look like I've done no work since Trudy was last here :laugh:

I DO have a nice drive away now though - that's certainly new since she was here last. Not sure who taught my dog that - surely wasn't me! Maybe he picked it up watching those Lynn Leach DVDs...

Edited by superminty

I'm sure Kate would have no issues with that - I know people who have stayed up there before in a camper van - you could even hook up to electricity in the shed if you want to live in luxury!

I'm getting excited - so many questions for Trudy! Been brushing up on flanks - I think we have frame of mind, eyes out and shape but want to be sure Cash isn't going to make a fool of me and make me look like I've done no work since Trudy was last here :laugh:

I DO have a nice drive away now though - that's certainly new since she was here last. Not sure who taught my dog that - surely wasn't me! Maybe he picked it up watching those Lynn Leach DVDs...

Just been looking at hiring a camper trailer,that would be better again, I'm coming over even if I have to sleep under the car, Trudy was great last time :thumbsup:. Gotta tell what Bill got me for Xmas :dancingelephant: a bridge, no not a cutesy garden one a steel one I can use to drive the sheep over when I'm training :cheer: very excited.

Just been looking at hiring a camper trailer,that would be better again, I'm coming over even if I have to sleep under the car, Trudy was great last time :thumbsup:. Gotta tell what Bill got me for Xmas :dancingelephant: a bridge, no not a cutesy garden one a steel one I can use to drive the sheep over when I'm training :cheer: very excited.

:laugh: Only a herding person would understand how cool that is :thumbsup:

We are coming along to one of Trudy's clinics this month. :cheer: I am bringing one dog and OH is fence sitting. It will be awesome catching up with Trudy again, got so much from her last time, can't wait.

It is just fantastic of Kate and Karen to bring her out here and offer us these opportunities. I feel very lucky.

I will be bringing Dyzney, the old chook. I am pretty excited as we have finally seen a glimpse of some nice flanking on a Started A out run, rather than the usual crash and spread :laugh: ... so I am almost feeling like there could possibly be a B Course coming up for us this year. :crossfingers: ... and don't want to get too ahead of ourselves here, but maybe Started A ducks???

We will be travelling to the clinic each day as it is only a little over an hr for us. Sorry have no ideas about accomm.