Herding Talk Thread

I'm excited as we're doing the clinic too- our first foray into "proper" herding (I'm not counting the few times at our farm as that was totally different -several hundred sheep and newborn lambs one time- and it was also totally instinct on her behalf! )

I'm really looking forward to learning how to herd properly. :) Hopefully we meet a few of you there.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which clinics are you guys doing?

I'm not sure where I've been slotted in as I'll be there all week - moving into Kate's back yard :laugh: I'll be the one in a pink floppy hat.

I'll be the one looking like I should have taken up knitting superminty :rofl:, look forward to seeing you & everyone else there it's going to be great :thumbsup:.

I'm jealous. Unfortunately work is too busy mid Jan onwards for me to be able too get time off :(

Small brag - took Jazz out to do some training today (as well as help some friends with their dogs) and we had quite a bit of success. Jazz managed her first decent drive, it was not overly pretty but she managed to get them away from me in a relatively straight line in the open to the fence, turn them and work them along the fence, around the corner and through a chute on the fenceline, turn them around and work them back through again and then I let her bring them back.

Unfortunately while helping a friend I tripped in the yards and did a full faceplant in the dirt so am now quite sore :(

Edited by piper

I am stuck on the line as well Superminty - I can "fix it" by giving her flank commands but I can't get her to hold a line. She has a beautiful walk up however seems to have worked it out relative to my position and once she is in front of me or anywhere "my side" of the circle she just can't do it. Stop her from 9 - 3 and I can walk her in dead straight. I'm just not sure how to go about getting it as I can't generate the movement there from her. I don't want to keep repeating my walk up command and devaluing it but I just can't get her to offer a step or 2, if she does it is with lateral movement to try and creep back to the head. Today I managed to get a few very tentative steps from her a couple of times and it was enough to get the stock moving but it is not reliable or consistent. I am thinking long line and raceway with lots of sheep as she isn't keen on pushing through so that will hopefully (and with use of long line) encourage her to walk in front of me in a straight line.

Piper never drove effectively - she blocks escape paths very effectively and holds her stops when asked to allow them to move. Kate gave the method a name and did say "only managed by a border collie and kelpie". Jazz I felt did a bit better than that today but it still resembled that more than a smooth drive, however I was thrilled as for Jazz it fried her brain. I needed her to start moving them somewhere as I have got inside flanks happening and her pushing them off of me but I felt she needed a purpose to moving the stock and once we got near the race she did relax as it was something familiar and she knows sheep go into obstacles. I am hoping that doing that will help consolidate her understanding that it is ok for the sheep to move away from me because until now her inside flanks have been done under duress and with a look of panic as she does not want the stock moving away. I was pleased that she did do a few inside flanks, she did bring herself back around behind me a few times as well but she is a wide worker and I would say it was not any wider than her usual flanking if that makes sense?

Man that is a whole lot of rambling that probably makes no sense at all. lol.

Made sense to me piper!

Cash does that sneak to the head thing and before I know it, I have sheep again. I think long line as well, will pick Trudy's brain and let you know!

Kate calls it "drop and drift" - I don't have that level of control so doesn't work for me.

That's the words. I could probably do it easier with Jazz than with Piper as she has a MUCH better stop (the things we learn from the first dog - PIper's stops suck) but I dont want to just get through by effectively blocking escape routes - I would like her to drive properly especially now we have started running B course over here. The other method is ok in A course where there is a fence line to help for much of it but I cant see it being effective in a big open paddock.

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask, but I have an 8 month old Kelpie and am very keen to give him ago with some herding classes or such? I'm a complete newbie so will definitely need instruction!

I live in Orange NSW but would be willing to travel in the Central West. Do any of you know of somewhere/one that could get me started?

Inevitablue, great photos! ACD's are just my favourite breed, however mum won't let me have one...hopefully get one next year since I'll be finished school and have a job, but she just won't budge, she don't like them :mad And it's great to see a corgi working!

Anyway, I posted a thread in the 'General Disscussions' area, but thought I might try here! I just love the way you really have to work as a team in herding, just like in agility, and have really wanted to get into herding, one problem, I live in suburbia with no room in my yard for sheep, cattle or goats, and a mother who refuses to let me have any more pets including poultry. So was wondering if anyone up in FNQ near Cairns did any herding lessons? I have heard of a lot of people up here would like to get into it, so it would be a really good investment I would've thought...

I've just got home from a GREAT week of herding training in Nyora, can't stop :D, Izzi, Pebbles & Delta had a run. Here's the short version, they did sheep & cows, Trudy said Pebbles is ready to start trialing on cows now :thumbsup:, her first time on them & had it all under controll :cheer:, she said Izzi won't take long to reach advanced :dancingelephant:, & also did really well on cows, & I did an excercise with Delta on sheep that I thought would end up a train wreck :laugh: buuut she proved me wrong & did a really good job, then went on to do pretty good on the cows as well. So Pebbles is the cow prodogy, Izzi is the sheep dog & Delta is coming up behind them in leaps & bounds. I'm the gladest little vegimite around :whee::thumbsup:, now for the downer, my trainer is leaving for Tassie so I'll have to play by myself ooooor move to Victoria, as near to Nyora as possible LOL. Well I'm off to sit & smile a bit more before I fall asleep in the chair, WOOHOO I love herding.

I've just got home from a GREAT week of herding training in Nyora, can't stop :D, Izzi, Pebbles & Delta had a run. Here's the short version, they did sheep & cows, Trudy said Pebbles is ready to start trialing on cows now :thumbsup:, her first time on them & had it all under controll :cheer:, she said Izzi won't take long to reach advanced :dancingelephant:, & also did really well on cows, & I did an excercise with Delta on sheep that I thought would end up a train wreck :laugh: buuut she proved me wrong & did a really good job, then went on to do pretty good on the cows as well. So Pebbles is the cow prodogy, Izzi is the sheep dog & Delta is coming up behind them in leaps & bounds. I'm the gladest little vegimite around :whee::thumbsup:, now for the downer, my trainer is leaving for Tassie so I'll have to play by myself ooooor move to Victoria, as near to Nyora as possible LOL. Well I'm off to sit & smile a bit more before I fall asleep in the chair, WOOHOO I love herding.

Yes Dova, move over here. We loved having you at the clinic. Your dogs worked beautifully.

It was great to meet you and I am so glad you had a terrific time.

I am disappointed I missed out on working the cattle on day two, but I am sure there will be another time :D