Herding Talk Thread

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew any come and try type days or anything that would be suitable for a 2yr old Shetland sheepdog that has never seen stock and a completely novice handler.

I am located in the ACT but don't mind traveling.

We are having a little trouble finding anything ourselves as the two numbers I had been given do not do Shetland sheepdogs.

Perhaps you could come to Sydney for a weekend, and learn some things on both the saturday and sunday.

Some trainers only want to work with kelpies/BC's/coolies but you could try a Robert & Jenny Cox clinic. I have been to a few and he is great with rarer herding breeds. He has worked with Finnish Laphunds, Corgis, ACD's, Stumpies and that's just the clinics I have been to.

If you want his details send me a PM, he should have a weekend clinic coming up in Nimmatabel sometime in the future.

Good luck this weekend New South Welshies, especially Inevitablue :thumbsup:

I hope you find somewhere Primedogs, I love watching different breeds' herding styles :) We even have Bouvier des Flandreses in our trials :D

Well I think Janba should come in here with a full report but here's mine :)

Great run trial, even with so many entered there was still ample time for test move ups and the judges were fantastic in keeping the runs short and concise.

My dogs just never seem to fail me, Tess did her first ever HSAs run, and apart from a big hiccup at the start where 2 sheep started to head back to the gate before I started, so I sent my (still needs to be taught a decent cast) dog to get them, but she went straight to the 3 sheep left on the peg. We collected all our sheep then started on the course.

In the end if you take away the points she lost on the cast and fetch she would have finished on 99/100. We ended up with 91.5/100 and a very happy handler :laugh:

My boy only came off lead last weekend (due to extreme eagerness :laugh: ) and he did his HIC, then we got two move ups under different judges to HT, so we ended the day with his HT title. Judges comments were 'lovely dog' and 'need to work on commands'.

I cant wait for the next trial in 4 weeks time. Congrats to the BBC NSW for a very well run trial that ended in daylight hours!

Lots of happy dogs today and I hope others come in here with their great news :thumbsup:

I've not long got home and am too tired to even think. In total we ended up with 104 runs entered, after move ups, with about 6-8 absentees. The vast majority had qualifications and the standard of trial scores and the work in the tests was very high. It was only because of the standard of work that we managed to do it in the time we had.

SA is having it's first herding champs next month :thumbsup:. I'm entering Izzi in her first intermediate :eek:, thought if I'm going to make a fool of myself it might as well be in a big way at an important event :dunce::doh:, ah well give people a :rofl:. It's over a month away & I'm already :scared: what a priss, pfft get over it :rofl:.

Dova,

Izzi is way more ready than Jazz and I am giving her a go at it! You should run her on B course started as well, she should have no hassles with that. Shame she doesn't work on ducks or you could go for the versatility award that I have donated.

Dova,

Izzi is way more ready than Jazz and I am giving her a go at it! You should run her on B course started as well, she should have no hassles with that. Shame she doesn't work on ducks or you could go for the versatility award that I have donated.

I'd love to do ducks with her but gotta get some training first. I'm so pleased with the way she's going, except for a problem I'm having after the sheep come out of the pen, just can't work out what to do at the moment hope to work it out at the training day :crossfingers:. Seriously considering the B course too :).

She will have no hassle with started B, provided you can get the outrun and it really isn't that long. The rest of the course for started is fairly straight forward. The free standing pen is the bit that gives me grief - I usually stuff it up by stopping the dog in the wrong spot or flanking them the wrong way at the wrong time but other than that the sheep just follow you.

SA is having it's first herding champs next month :thumbsup:. I'm entering Izzi in her first intermediate :eek:, thought if I'm going to make a fool of myself it might as well be in a big way at an important event :dunce::doh:, ah well give people a :rofl:. It's over a month away & I'm already :scared: what a priss, pfft get over it :rofl:.

Hey, me too, entered intermediate sheep and ducks x 2 at our state trial.I am pretty confident of getting the sheep around the C post and that's it really :laugh: Ducks will depend on whether he remembers to keep his eyes on them this time around...

Ah well, gotta give it a go at some stage.

superminty,

Sounds like me last trial - I entered knowing darn well we weren't ready but wanted to see where we were at and was going to be happy if I could get her to switch in to drive mode. We were able get around C and to the mouth of the Y, so I did get her driving but then I shut her down. Next time if we can get them IN the Y that will be a bigger bonus :)

superminty,

Sounds like me last trial - I entered knowing darn well we weren't ready but wanted to see where we were at and was going to be happy if I could get her to switch in to drive mode. We were able get around C and to the mouth of the Y, so I did get her driving but then I shut her down. Next time if we can get them IN the Y that will be a bigger bonus :)

I figure I have to move on at some stage, can't enter started for ever and at least it will show up what I need to work on most. He has come ahead leaps and bounds since I got my own sheep though, so I actually don't think he is far away from being ready, just lacking a bit of confidence in the drive.

Good luck to Izzi and Cash in their maiden intermediate runs :thumbsup:

I agree Superminty gotta move on at some time, can't tread water forever :laugh:, & I don't want to enter Izzi in started anymore she's ready to go into Intermediate. Delta isn't far off but would be to soon to put her up now, Pebbles, hmmm Pebbles what can I say about her, she's not going to be going up in the near future :shrug: we got lots of work to do :grimace:. Looking forward to the training day on the 14th & I'm about to have a lesson now, couple of problems to iron out, herding is addictive.

Rommy had a training run yesterday - first for awhile.

She has lost quite a bit of confidence. I thought she lacked focus because she had probably been having a phantom pregnancy, One of the ducks tried to have a go at her, and whilst she put it back in its place, she shut down. I didn't think the head butt she got at the sheep clinic earlier in the year had affected her, but I reckon it might have. She just isn't switched on anymore and isn't really enjoying it at all. THere are so few opportunities to get her out here now, can't really work through it with her.

Hi

Me and my partner have a unreg stumpy cattle and would love to try herding jut wondering where to start , used to take our kelpie to erskin park. Years ago on a Sunday

Any info would be appreciated

Tanya

Edited by StormyroxTan

Erskine Park on a Sunday still happens, also on Saturdays.

I took Jodie for our first ever look at sheep last Sunday and she was brilliant! Well I think so anyway! We're going to go back for more, it was the most confident and happy I've ever seen my little girl :)