Herding Talk Thread

Where have all my herding buddies gone :cry:

Luckily, being an only child, I play well on my own :o

Friend of mine has visited, played sheepies, left homework for me to do & is coming next Saturday to check it's been done :thumbsup: , the girls have been doing real well :thumbsup:. Happy herding New Year everyone :D .

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh you and your friend totally suck Dova. Its not fair you have your own sheepies to play with :laugh:. Kenz tried her hardest to convince your friend she needed another dog to play with but she didn't manage to convince her.

I did hear you had been doing a good job though :thumbsup:.

Edited by ness

Oh you and your friend totally suck Dova. Its not fair you have your own sheepies to play with :laugh:. Kenz tried her hardest to convince your friend she needed another dog to play with but she didn't manage to convince her.

We had another run today & had a great time again, just thought I'd let you know Ness :rofl:. Roll on Trudy clinic, counting down the sleeps :thumbsup:.

We had another run today & had a great time again, just thought I'd let you know Ness :rofl:. Roll on Trudy clinic, counting down the sleeps :thumbsup:.

Yippee, looking forward to seeing you and your puppies.

Cash is so much more settled in general now we have regular sheep access. I am getting out there minimum twice a week, sometimes more and gee it makes a difference! I have a couple of regular clients to help pay for them, although they are extremely low maintenance (and pretty fat - they are good doers - the sheep, not the clients!).

Worked on flanks today - me and sheep in the middle, flanking the dog around and asking him to turn in at various points. That part was easy, getting him to take off balance flanks not so much! He is extremely sticky on one particular side - once he gets to that natural balance point, I have really struggled to get him to take an off balance flank. But I've done two sessions now on it and today he really nailed it :thumbsup:

Edited by superminty

Hi,

Can anyone provide any feed back on Herding School in Diggers or any other herding schools? A friend of mine has a kelpie and wants to get involved. She lives in Romsey VIC and is happy to travel?

Hi,

Can anyone provide any feed back on Herding School in Diggers or any other herding schools? A friend of mine has a kelpie and wants to get involved. She lives in Romsey VIC and is happy to travel?

Hi Tazar. Diggers is a good place to start a dog, Dave's a great trainer and they should have some fun.

If they are more serious i.e. want to continue on and/or trial, I recommend Double K Herding in South Gippsland - a way to go but well worth it - should add a disclaimer as I instruct for them sometimes and train in a similar way.

Website is here http://www.herdingtraining.com/

Dogs that have been to Double K and are up to working in the bigger paddock may shortly have the option of training in the north of Melbourne from Feb - I suggest keeping an eye on the Double K facebook page for details.

We are now having a break from training till Feb when we help to work the new sheep down ready for next years training.

I have walking problems and last year I started using my mobility scooter for training which has been great as I can now do jobs like bringing in the sheep for training etc. Only problem is I am still trying to work out how to shed using it.

post-13563-0-67873300-1357434191_thumb.jpg

Yippee, looking forward to seeing you and your puppies.

Cash is so much more settled in general now we have regular sheep access. I am getting out there minimum twice a week, sometimes more and gee it makes a difference! I have a couple of regular clients to help pay for them, although they are extremely low maintenance (and pretty fat - they are good doers - the sheep, not the clients!).

Worked on flanks today - me and sheep in the middle, flanking the dog around and asking him to turn in at various points. That part was easy, getting him to take off balance flanks not so much! He is extremely sticky on one particular side - once he gets to that natural balance point, I have really struggled to get him to take an off balance flank. But I've done two sessions now on it and today he really nailed it :thumbsup:

:eek: thought you were talking about the clients there for a moment, very glad you cleared it up :rofl:. Been to hot here for doing sheep stuff, not loving it at all.

Did walk up's with Izzi yesterday, some nice straight walk up, moved the sheep off the feed & a person, bit crooked to the fence then back to the feed, I didn't move :thumbsup: , very pleased.

Pebbles & Delta put in a bit of good work too but Delta needs to slow down a bit more & Pebbles is a bit worried about coming between me & the sheep, happy with all 3 of them :D . Roll on Trudy clinic & trialing season, is it ok if we come over the border for a trial, or two, superminty pleeeease :pray: :laugh: .

I have walking problems and last year I started using my mobility scooter for training which has been great as I can now do jobs like bringing in the sheep for training etc. Only problem is I am still trying to work out how to shed using it.

That's great Janba, must make things a heap easier for you. I can see that shedding may be a bit more challenging than on foot though!

:eek: thought you were talking about the clients there for a moment, very glad you cleared it up :rofl:. Been to hot here for doing sheep stuff, not loving it at all.

Did walk up's with Izzi yesterday, some nice straight walk up, moved the sheep off the feed & a person, bit crooked to the fence then back to the feed, I didn't move :thumbsup: , very pleased.

Pebbles & Delta put in a bit of good work too but Delta needs to slow down a bit more & Pebbles is a bit worried about coming between me & the sheep, happy with all 3 of them :D . Roll on Trudy clinic & trialing season, is it ok if we come over the border for a trial, or two, superminty pleeeease :pray: :laugh: .

Lol, yes when I read it back, it sounded a bit wrong. Although my clients are low maintenance, just not the rest :laugh:

I've been doing that drill too - I sit on a milk crate with a pan of grain and have Cash drive them away, then call him off and let them come back, rinse, repeat. He thinks it's great fun keeping the sheepies from their pellets.

I think we can let you come back for a trial - that Pebbles is our cattle star after all!