Herding Talk Thread

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think we can let you come back for a trial - that Pebbles is our cattle star after all!

Oh thankyou, thankyou, thankyou :D , I'll start planning & saving :rofl: . Yep have to get working on Pebbles cow title :thumbsup:, see you in a couple of weeks :D .

All this herding training talk, I'm jealous!!

Although I probably shouldn't complain - Jazz has had her pups at the nest time of year from a herding point of view, way too hot to do much anyway! Will get the girl I am keeping out t sheep in a couple of weeks and give Jazz a quick run as well. I am hoping she recovers her brain faster than she did last time she had puppies, we lost an entire year when I added up time she was pregnant, with puppies and still in brain fade mode. LOL

For those in SA, The Herding Dog Club has a training theory day coming up in February. PM me if you would like contact details of the organiser. They will be looking at the fundamentals of herding, how stock move, why stock do what they do as well as what the test levels involve. It has been advertised as suitable for new people but I think there are people with PT and even into started that kind of just follow the course and the dog works it out that could do with this as well to help them take the step to that next level.

I'm with you on the jealousy Piper, we were just out practicing walk-ups on galahs at the park to keep up some level of training :o

Is the theory day early or late Feb?

It is on the 16th. When are you making the move?

Does anyone know of somewhere in the ACT that you can do herding? I have someone in our Collie circle asking. :)

I'm coming over to the ACT for about a month and also want to do some training while there. I have a few names up in Sydney but would like to do some closer to home if possible.

ACT doesn't currently hold ANKC herding trials and I know only one person who currently competes regularly in ANKC herding (who also happens to be one of the best advanced handlers and the best at shedding I have seen). You will probably have to find a 3 sheep person for lessons.

If I can remember Karen's DOL name I will pas it on as she will have an idea of who gives lessons there.

All this herding training talk, I'm jealous!!

Sorry Piper not trying to make you jealous but we're having way to much fun to keep it a secret :D. Had another sheep day yesterday & had a ball, then had 8 dogs all running & playing around the paddock. Very happy with all the dogs & having two of us training we can help each other, sooo much easier :).

Puppies have had their first shots so will be able to start going out and about doing stuff soon. Today would have been a great day to train, lovely weather.

Next time I go herding I will be taking the new addition for her first exposure. It is the most exciting time for me with herding - watching and seeing what happens when they first meet sheep. Seeing the cogs turn and the light switch on...

Puppies have had their first shots so will be able to start going out and about doing stuff soon. Today would have been a great day to train, lovely weather.

Next time I go herding I will be taking the new addition for her first exposure. It is the most exciting time for me with herding - watching and seeing what happens when they first meet sheep. Seeing the cogs turn and the light switch on...

Lets hope you don't have to wait till she's 7 months old like I did with Mr Cole :laugh:

It is exciting to watch a pup turn on.

• 2 months later...

We had an awesome training session with the kelps this morning - second one back after 6 months off. They worked calmer and wider than usual, and the humans are getting better at it too I think ;) Weez managed a short fenceline drive away from the handler :eek: and the dry work I've done with Chess' walk-ups towards the ball has paid off, got some nice straight walks to the sheep :) It's amazing the feeling of doing calm, correct work with a sheep dog, I've missed it!

Good to have a break from time to time I think. The dogs come back stronger and more mature, and some of the technical stuff has sunk in for the humans :-)

It's also so nice when the dogs start to get a handle on driving. I never thought I would get close, but Cash is now really confident driving sheep away from me. Just need to get a handle on his obnoxious behaviour around off balance stops now!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of somewhere in the ACT that you can do herding? I have someone in our Collie circle asking. :)

I'm coming over to the ACT for about a month and also want to do some training while there. I have a few names up in Sydney but would like to do some closer to home if possible.

ACT doesn't currently hold ANKC herding trials and I know only one person who currently competes regularly in ANKC herding (who also happens to be one of the best advanced handlers and the best at shedding I have seen). You will probably have to find a 3 sheep person for lessons.

If I can remember Karen's DOL name I will pas it on as she will have an idea of who gives lessons there.

Hey guys I'm also in Canberra and pretty keen to get a start with some herding. Any update on local herding schools or places to get some more info? My kelpie pup is only 4months old but I just want to get my head around the basics of herding so I don't make any mistakes in his basic obedience. Any good Internet sites or books I should be getting my hands on?

Just had someone tell me that a poodle is doing official herding in NSW. Poodles don't look to be on the approved list. Does anyone know anything about this?

Maybe it is just doing some training after all anyone can train, they just can not enter ANKC tests and trials.

Just had someone tell me that a poodle is doing official herding in NSW. Poodles don't look to be on the approved list. Does anyone know anything about this?

Maybe it is just doing some training after all anyone can train, they just can not enter ANKC tests and trials.

The person insisted that the poodle was competing officially. Weird.