Herding Talk Thread

I will be there too - same day as Superminty, K & K I believe. No idea what day that actually is though.

I heard Steph is coming over as well LBD.

Are you entered this weekend Dove and LBD? Jazz has 2 runs - 1 each day. Then I am handling her daughter from her first litter in PT on Saturday for a friend and Cinna for her instinct cert. The only bit that worries me about that is getting the 6 month old jumping bean to wait, lol.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am there all days :o Moving in for the week :laugh:

I stayed with Dave and Trudy last year in the US and have worked with Trudy extensively so I am extremely excited about getting to work with Dave now too. Really liked what I got to see in the US.

I'll be the one in the cowboy hat with the angry kelpie...

I will be there too - same day as Superminty, K & K I believe. No idea what day that actually is though.

I heard Steph is coming over as well LBD.

Are you entered this weekend Dove and LBD? Jazz has 2 runs - 1 each day. Then I am handling her daughter from her first litter in PT on Saturday for a friend and Cinna for her instinct cert. The only bit that worries me about that is getting the 6 month old jumping bean to wait, lol.

We are going one day on the second weekend (I've also forgotten which!). Yes Steph is coming over too, she sent me an email :)

We're only trialling Sunday, OH just got home from a work trip tonight so we're taking tomorrow off. Chess needs one more pass on ducks to get her title :) As long as the handler can remember the course and the dog can remember what to do with ducks! :o Good luck with Cinna!! :D

Edited by TheLBD

I stayed with Dave and Trudy last year in the US and have worked with Trudy extensively so I am extremely excited about getting to work with Dave now too. Really liked what I got to see in the US.

Were you at the OES trial in a cowboy hat a couple of weeks ago? I thought it might have been you but didn't want to make a fool of myself by gong up and saying Hi and finding out you weren't. LOL

Were you at the OES trial in a cowboy hat a couple of weeks ago? I thought it might have been you but didn't want to make a fool of myself by gong up and saying Hi and finding out you weren't. LOL

Lucky you didn't, it wasn't me! Are you telling me there is someone else with a cowboy hat going around?!? Quells horreur! It's usually my trademark.

LOL - definitely just as well I didn't then! I would tell you who, but obviously I have no idea!

Well done Dova - not easy sheep to drive, and hearing what you and Izzi have been through lately you most definitely deserved that 1 :)

Oh, I was just coming in here to give you the hurry up about your brag :laugh:

CONGRATUALTIONS!!!! :thumbsup:

geez superminty, stop cracking the whip on me, I'm a very slow typer so it took me a while to get all on here :rofl:, but thankyou & piper. Our first run did leave much to be desired though :eek: .

Home from day 2 - duck day.

I had Jazz entered in 1 run on ducks in advanced. I had no expectations and only entered her as we don't normally have many duck runs so I was helping support the club.

Well Jazz made up for yesterday and showed she does know how to drive, she overcame the incompetent handler giving her the wrong commands at the start of the course and ended up with a lovely pass on 87.5 and Runner Up High in Trial. As pleased as I am, it also made me incredibly sad. I like to think she worked for Piper today - Piper needed 1 more pass over 85 to gain her herding champ so we dedicate this pass to her.

Congrats piper & I'm sure Piper is giving the paws :thumbsup: up for dedicating it to her, she was probably giving Jazz the right cue's for you :laugh:, show me the handler who hasn't misscued their dog & I'll show you a liar :rofl:

I realised my other MASSIVE error from both runs on the weekend Dova. Yesterday, Jazz kept flipping back to the head and driving me insane. She KNOWS how to fetch and hold a line, is not great at it but she can do it and yesterday I just had to keep flanking her as she wouldn't stay there. This morning I realised I never actually asked her to. I never marked the spot and got her to take the line.

Idiot handler again. It really is amazing that she passed and did it so well!

I realised my other MASSIVE error from both runs on the weekend Dova. Yesterday, Jazz kept flipping back to the head and driving me insane. She KNOWS how to fetch and hold a line, is not great at it but she can do it and yesterday I just had to keep flanking her as she wouldn't stay there. This morning I realised I never actually asked her to. I never marked the spot and got her to take the line.

Idiot handler again. It really is amazing that she passed and did it so well!

OOPS, done that before,and have been doing a lot of fetch work lately because I've over driven Izzi oops again :mad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I totally missed these pics RazorBlade, Toby looks quite pleased with himself :)

Exciting herding times in SA - only 1 week to go until the Dave Viklund clinics. Dova must be geting so excited and stressed getting everything ready :)

Any SA herding people that have't booked in and are interested, it is worth contacting them as I believe there are a couple of places available the second weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I was just wondering if anyone in this thread has a suggestion for a place that does herding training or workshops near Gladstone, QLD? I have an ACD X that I'd love to at least test out, but I'm struggling to find anything close enough. A few I found only do BC's and Kelpies, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• 4 months later...

So we were off herding this morning. We've done about 5 or so training sessions I think this year and I'm just loving it!! Oh and Hamish is absolutely addicted to it! Kenzie, well she's learning to love it and we're dragging out the little herding dog stuck inside her! She loves the idea of it she just struggles when she doesn't know what to do!

I can't wait for next year, I'm going to start trialling Hamish, and when Kenz is ready we'll get her in also. But Hamish, I just can't wait to see what he can do. he improves so much each time he goes on sheep and he just knows what to do! I find him really exciting in this sport and I'm hoping for big things from him. Kenzie well, I like dabbling in everything with her so we will at least do a little bit - whatever she finds fun!

I still don't really know what I"m doing (thank goodness my dog knows!) but I'm learning and I really do like it as a sport. It's so nice to do something that your dog was bbred to do!