Herding Talk Thread

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Koolie Club is having a Christmas Sheepdog School at Bobbara Staton near Yass on 4 and 5 December. Cost is $130 for the weekend ($120 for Koolie Club members). The schools start early in the morning to make the most of cooler weather. Bobbara is a large working property running about 7000 sheep, 500 wagyu beef cattle and some crops. The instructor is Brad Pellow who has represented Australia in yard dog trialling and he is also a working kelpie breeder. PM me if you are interested.

Jasper did a lovely calm cast for me on sunday.. i was so happy ! He worked the sheep so calmly straight up... we started on the driving... thankfully he understands what Walk Up means and when I said Push.. he moved up quicker.. so that is helping. But we have something new to work on now as just doing the A course was getting boring as he does it so easily !

Got a big day herding tomorrow got to bring a mob of sheep in, take a head count for the shearer, mark & tail lambs, then building a B course & then lots of training, we should all come home buggered. After watching an advanced test on Sunday I had 2 thoughts go through my head #1, take up knitting I'll never be able to do that :), #2, gotta do some serious practice because I wanna do that :laugh:, but still think hell could freeze over before I ever will but won't know if I don't try :shrug:.

lol at Dova. I actually decided I didn't want to do the Advanced after I saw it. I reckon I would be super frustrated having to just stand in the one spot. I have trouble standing still during the cast in Started :)

It is surprisingly difficult to just stand there. I have only done 1 advanced run on ducks with Piper (for a hugely surprising pass) and it is So tempting to just take step. You have to make a conscious effort to not move. I guess because it is natural to move around and assist with body pressure. Getting the ducks around C while standing there was so challenging, I just wanted to move back and get out of their way. I am not sure it gets easier with time or not, guess I will find out.

Dova - hope everything went well today. Some great training opportunities in bringing the stock in for real jobs. Was this at Cass's? I think a couple of my steepest learning curves were moving stock for other people. I picked up some hobby farms a couple of years ago that needed sheep brought in for the shearer. It was great fun and highly challenging, I wish I still had their contact details to find out if they need it done again. And you will get there for advanced the way you are coming along with your girls. You will beat Jazz and I into intermediate too at the rate we are going with training (does twice in a year count as training??).

lol at Dova. I actually decided I didn't want to do the Advanced after I saw it. I reckon I would be super frustrated having to just stand in the one spot. I have trouble standing still during the cast in Started :(

It is surprisingly difficult to just stand there. I have only done 1 advanced run on ducks with Piper (for a hugely surprising pass) and it is So tempting to just take step. You have to make a conscious effort to not move. I guess because it is natural to move around and assist with body pressure. Getting the ducks around C while standing there was so challenging, I just wanted to move back and get out of their way. I am not sure it gets easier with time or not, guess I will find out.

It does get easier with practice. I find now that I am concentrating on the sheep and positioning the dog that sometimes I forget to move when I can. Last trial I stayed at the handlers peg till the sheep were in the exam pen the started to send Cole in to lift them out and sudenly remembered that I had better get to the hold pen. I really enjoy trialling advanced even though we still stuff up on things.

I have entered a fun 3 sheep trial in 2 weeks so spent today practicing. I found it really hard to keep moving and keep the sheep on my right hand side and concentrate on positioning the dog. He wanted to put them behind me like he would in a herding trial :) . On a good note Cole is starting to put the sheep throught obstacles and pen them with minimal commands from me.

lol at Dova. I actually decided I didn't want to do the Advanced after I saw it. I reckon I would be super frustrated having to just stand in the one spot. I have trouble standing still during the cast in Started :)

I love standing watching my dog do the big casts in B Course and the 3 sheep arena. I am lucky that he has a naturally wide cast and distance doesn't seem to matter to him. I like watching the look for the sheep when you send them and then the way they keep looking at the sheep as they go and start to read the way they are reacting - BUT I do wish Cole would stop at the top of the cast before he comes in on the sheep.

Had a great day Sunday, we all came home totaly buggered :rofl:, bringing the sheep in was much the same as doing stock work, cattle, at home except we weren't in belly deep water & mud on horses :), same principal though, keep em mobbed & moving & don't let them stop & think. I was very pleased with all 3 of my girls, Delta is getting this driving thing & starting to respond to the side & stop cues, then I did fetching with her so she finished on a good/fun note :rofl:. Did casting with Izzi & Pebbles, trying to get distance without Xing, both doing much better & used Pebbles to bring the sheep in, so all in all I was one very happy :rofl: & tired camper by the end of the day.

Nope not going to this one. Sundays I go to dog club.

Have fun!

You can give up herding for other dog activities :laugh:

I have to when I am an instructor :o

These days I'm lucky - the only place I instruct now is at herding training. :)