Ian Billinghurst Books - Barf

Michelleva

I really want to get Georgia off the commercial food, and I've been reading all about Dr Billinghurst's theories and want to give it a go. I managed to track down the book - Grow Your Pups With Bones from my local library, but its really aimed at breeders. I would like to purchase one of the other two books, but don't know which one to get, he has one called The Barf Diet for Cats And Dogs and Give Your Dog A Bone. Has anyone read either of these? Can you recommend which would be the best one for me. I'd like to give the cats a go on Barf too, so am leaning towards the first one. I've seen it online for $45. :rofl:

I had Give your Dog a Bone, and Grow your Pup with Bones.

Don't know anything about The BARF diet for dogs and cats, so can't help.

Give your dog a Bone contains everything you need to know - and that is where I'd begin. I think reading Grow your Pup with Bones would be helpful too, although there is a lot of content which could be boring if you aren't a breeder

Good luck :rofl: It's cheaper, the dogs love it, and all mine do really well on it.

I have give your dog a bone. It is an interesting read. I got it around 15 years ago - I guess it is the same and hasn't be changed or anything?????

I could send it to you if you would like???

I also have "Give Your Dog A Bone" - very well-worn copy which also must be about 15 years old. It's my "Bible" and I recommend it to all my puppy buyers.

Another fan of Give Your Dog A Bone. It can be a little hard to understand if you don't read all of it thoroughly. The Grow Your Pup On Bones is also a very good read, I always recommend both books to our puppy people.

You may find a copy on Ebay, or sometimes here as well in the for sale section. Maybe post in the wanted section on the front page or in the members section in the forum.

IMO well worth adding to your your collection. :scared:

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

If you want to economise, borrow from the Library.

Read though and bookmark any information you want for future reference and photocopy that part. You can leagally copy as long as it's no more than 10% of the book, I think from memory.

IF you particualrly like one of them, then you have the option of buying it later.

Another fan of Give Your Dog A Bone. It can be a little hard to understand if you don't read all of it thoroughly.

Give Your Dog a Bone is good read, I got it from the library. I also found some bits a little tricky to follow and had to read them a few times but the book, combined with some googling was very helpful. :scared:

I really want to get Georgia off the commercial food, and I've been reading all about Dr Billinghurst's theories and want to give it a go. I managed to track down the book - Grow Your Pups With Bones from my local library, but its really aimed at breeders. I would like to purchase one of the other two books, but don't know which one to get, he has one called The Barf Diet for Cats And Dogs and Give Your Dog A Bone. Has anyone read either of these? Can you recommend which would be the best one for me. I'd like to give the cats a go on Barf too, so am leaning towards the first one. I've seen it online for $45. :)

I have both.

The Barf Diet is pretty simplistic. It gives you a basic run down of BARF, ratios and the recipes for BARF patties (for dogs and for cats). Its only a short book.

Give Your Dog A Bone is much more detailed, talks about what you can feed, how to balance the diet over time (as opposed to feeding an all in one type patty), supplements that you can give, etc.

If you are only wanting to buy one book I'd recommend Give Your Dog A Bone, you'll get more out of it.

You can buy them direct from here http://www.drianbillinghurst.com/products.php?pid=2

I've got all 3 books, but if you are only going to buy one then GYDAB would be best. I bought a 2nd copy as my first one was getting very tatty from loaning out and was worried about it going AWOL.

As mentioned check with your local library. Mine has all 3 :)

Ooops I completely forgot I started this thread... :rofl:

Thanks for a all the great replies. I'm 3/4 of the way through Grow Your Pup With Bones. I just wish I'd read it BEFORE we got our pup now.

I have give your dog a bone. It is an interesting read. I got it around 15 years ago - I guess it is the same and hasn't be changed or anything?????

I could send it to you if you would like???

I'd love to borrow your copy, obviously I'll return it when I'm finished with it. I'll PM you.

In my opinion you could do worse than to own both the BARF Diet and Give Your Dog a Bone. They are companion pieces. The BARF book was more recently released and has some updated info in it, but Give Your Dog a Bone explains more of the practice in detail.

In my opinion you could do worse than to own both the BARF Diet and Give Your Dog a Bone. They are companion pieces. The BARF book was more recently released and has some updated info in it, but Give Your Dog a Bone explains more of the practice in detail.

We went with Tom Lonsdale's books:

Work Wonders: Feed your dog raw meaty bones

I find this very easy to understand and simple to follow. Read this first before his other book:

Raw Meaty Bones: Promote Health

This is a lot more in depth, but very informative.

We feed our giant breed Dogue de Bordeaux puppy in this method and he is thriving. Very healthy, sustained growth and quite simple to follow, not to mention cheap. We monitor his progress regularly just to make sure since we are still new to this feeding method, but so far it's marvelous.

- Cath