Cheapest Flight Options For Dogs?

blackbirdblue

Sorry to hijack this one - my 23kg girl is due to be mated next February and would require a return flight Melbourne to Sydney. Would you fly a bitch at that time of the year? I am very worried about the heat.

Would you fly a bitch at that time of the year? I am very worried about the heat.

It's a short flight but the amount of time they have to be at the airport would bother me in case you strike a hot day. You'd probably be OK though if you got an early morning flight, the earliest flights leave as early as 6 am on that route. I fly a lot and I have seen too many animals sitting around in their crates in all weathers waiting to be loaded not to be super careful.

Edited by Diva

Would you fly a bitch at that time of the year? I am very worried about the heat.

Ity's a short flight but the amount of time they have to be at the airport would bother me in case you strike a hot day. You'd probably be OK though if you got an early morning flight, the earliest flights leave as early as 6 am on that route. I fly a lot and I have seen too many animals sitting around in their crates in all weathers waiting to be loaded not to be super careful.

Yes, that's what worries me. I've heard too many stories of dogs being left outside of the aircraft in the weather and also of being bumped from flights.

We have flown several pups out from Perth or too Perth to various other states and it is around $250 through JetPets (and they have always been cheaper than Dogtainers for us too).

Do not book direct through AAE unless you are on the flight. They tend to underquote then when you rock up you get slugged an extra couple of hundred dollars because they quote on the smaller size crates :laugh:

Sending out of Perth to Melbourne is normally cheaper than flying into Perth. More freight goes into Perth than leaves Perth so outbound freight rates are cheaper.

As a guide Airport to Airport (16kg-pup and crate total weight) Perth-Melbourne Pup in new (purchased not hire) PP40 crate $155.00 whereas Melbourne-Perth the price would be around $175.00. Obviously the heavier the pet and crate being transported the greater the price variance.

As for flying out of Canberra, you are limited to Qantas/AAE as Virgin do not fly unaccompanied outbound pets. AAE can be a bit pricey to forward pets out of Canberra.

Geez! I'm I reading this right, that sounds way too cheap.I enquired last Christmas about sending my roughly 18kg bitch to Melbourne for a mating and was quoted $600 odd each way. Who do I contact about getting my dog transported for these rates and more importantly are they good at looking after the dogs being transported.

Based on the information that you have provided:

Airport to Airport (18kg dog + crate (allowing approx 17 kg-for either wire of vari kennel)=35kg)

Perth to Melbourne $261.00 including crate hire of $55.00

Melbourne to Perth $424.00 including crate hire of $55.00

Note: If your dog could comfortably fit within a PP40 or the soon to be released PP50 crate-82cm x 60cm x 60cm) significant weight reductions can be obtained and lower the prices further.

If you have a few dogs and look at a fair amount of transport think about purchasing your own suitably sized vari kennel or PP crate, the initial outlay will be recouped with savings made on transport crate hire fees. Currently I sell new PP40 crates at $55.00. Prices of the new PP50 have not been released yet.

Those rates sound so much better than what I got quoted, sending my girl interstate for mating may not be so far out of my reach now. Not sure of the size of a PP40 but the other one sounds like it would be extremly large for her, she is only about 18 or 19 inches at the shoulder. Is it OK to send you an email Wayrod to get a contact number? Not sure yet when I can send her (seasons and my finances aren't always regular).but would like to be ready to use your great rates although I understand these may vary by the time I'm ready.

I have forwarded an email to you with contact details.

Talk to you soon!

Sorry to hijack this one - my 23kg girl is due to be mated next February and would require a return flight Melbourne to Sydney. Would you fly a bitch at that time of the year? I am very worried about the heat.

And so you should be worried!

There are other variables to take into account as well as the actual flight.

e.g. Who will be transporting your girl to the airport?

Who is collecting your girl from the receiving airport?

What type of crate your girl would be travelling in?

What measures have been undertaken to make the journey as comfortable as possible? eg Frozen water bottle placed in back of crate which your girl could lick the condensation for moisture; are some that come to mind.

Another item to consider is the option of road transport vs air transport. (8 hours vs 1.5-2.0 hours) possibly in the same weather conditions.

As Diva has pointed out it is only a short flight, but that shouldn't stop you from taking all precautions.

During times of extreme weather (heat mainly) flights would be arranged to take advantage of transport during the cooler parts of the day. Common sense should prevail.

Edited by wayrod

Hi guys,

I need to send my pup from Sydney to Perth and have been looking around for the best prices. I've had a read of all the previous posts and people are mentioning DOLer wayrod .... however I did an internet search and couldn't find a company/pet transport service or anything under this name! Could someone please give me the website or perhaps a phone number?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I need to send my pup from Sydney to Perth and have been looking around for the best prices. I've had a read of all the previous posts and people are mentioning DOLer wayrod .... however I did an internet search and couldn't find a company/pet transport service or anything under this name! Could someone please give me the website or perhaps a phone number?

Thanks!

Umm, did you notice who posted in this thread immediately before you? :D

Click on wayrod's name in that post, and then on 'send message' and you can ask them for more details directly.

I had just seen this topic to late now I booked my pups flights through dogtainers from Adeliade to Port Hedland including pick up and create hire $400. Was only $350 to Perth I could of then sent him on as extra luggage few weeks later but figured for extra $50 he can come straight to me. I have a large wire create sitting in perth but was just a head case booking 2 flights to swap creates etc. Next time will PM wayrod :D