Bitches Fighting

~Shepherd~

I had an entire Schipperke bitch and a maltese X bitch that got on very well. There was also an entire Lhaso Apso/Maltese Male in this mix. The only problems I ever had was when the male got old. The Schipperke would beat up on him then. I had to separate them.

My old Border Collie/Heeler cross bitch could never have had another bitch around her , she would have killed it. She didn't even tolerate puppies or kittens!! She was a mean bitch. But a smart, sweet dog to the furkids and us.

My two Cav bitches get on very well and are lovely together, I may even be adding a few more bitches to the mix over the next few years. I have no qualms about this with Cavaliers though.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WE have always had entire bitches....Only once in latter years have we had a tragedy - one bitch killed another ...then dragged her to the back door .We buried two dogs that night.

There have been many other fights requiring stitching and damage control.

Oh- and in the past couple of months two of our house dogs ( one just into double figures, the other in her teens) had a nasty fight in the kitchen... rammed me in the knees when they careered around a corner..and one in particular suffered nasty scalds from the jug of boiling water I was carrying :confused::) They are both healed now... but need to be watched, and shuttled in & out the house...

Edited by persephone

A lady I know bought two staffy pups for the kids - less than 12 months later, both bitches were keen to kill each other. They were both desexed at 6 months old. I think they kept them seperate for a while but ended up giving one away.

I have three bitches here and so far *touch wood* no issues. But I keep a very close eye on them.

I've had plenty of bitches together over the years - large breeds (mostly Rotties), and never had anything more than a tiff (no wounds)...

I currently have 2 bitches who have decided that they don't want to "play nice" with each other after nearly 5 years being perfectly fine with each other. I have them separated, and just have to do the switch and shuffle thing so they aren't together now.

My Lab would kill my Rotti/Pittie if there wasn't someone there to break up the fight - it took me, 3 policemen, capsicum spray (no use), batons (no use), to keep them from killing each other when they had their last fight (in my back yard) - and I got a discount rate to patch them up at the vets... cost $1400. Funnily enough, it's the old girl (Rotti X) that will usually start by snapping at the Lab over something stupid - but the Lab has intent to finish it once and for all... neither will back down either.

T.

We've experienced it, and the only reason the bitch being attacked isn't dead is because we were around to intervene.

I have never seen fighting like it - seen a number of stupid poseur boy fights but bitches where one has decided the other has to die are really sobering.

Watching an bitch decide to take out a front leg, tear that to shreds quicker than you can run across a yard and then go in for the kill, is sobering indeed.

My ridgeback x's that I had growing up at home were bitches from the same litter, they had had one or 2 not so serious fights where the one just punctured the other but the last fight was almost to the death, the one who started the fight ( she was the dominant one) had her jugular vein nicked and lost heaps of blood, it was the scariest thing I have ever seen AND she was trying to carry in fighting, had to get the other bitch off her by holding a hose pipe over her nose as she would not let go. From that day the other bitch was alpha bitch, this was 5 years ago now and they have never fought again, I think because Gabby knew that Vicky was stronger than her and also they have gotten really old.

I wont run 2 bitches together again after that fight...

many years ago, when I was a kid.. I had a little mini foxie bitch. Mum & dad bought a purebred lab at great expense ... and while a pup the mini used to boss her around.

fast forward a couple of years.... twice we came home to find my mini with her throat ripped open, literally- not just a hole or two..... Luckily she was able to be stitched/bandaged to recovery.

We forever after had to be careful.

I had an english Setter mum and Daughter and when I met my OH he had a GSD bitch, my girls were mine his girl his, :) but one day the GSd decided I was hers also, my ES daughter wasnt fussed, she would share me :), but they would eye ball constantly , had a few grumbles, so kept them seperate , so either one or the other was locked away and the other was out with the others.

All was fine for about 18 months, till one day GSD snapped and dug her way out of the pen just to attack the daughter but flew for the first dog she came across which happened to be the mum, who had never been in the equation, but GSd had decided someone was to die that day :rofl: . It took two of us to get her off my old girl, who was just screaming not even trying to protect herself, she was Ok luckily, she had coat mostly, and she wasnt fighting back, which I think saved her life ;) We had the GSd put down the next day, she could never of been trusted after that. :( Broke our hearts as we'd tried everything but she had got to a stage she wouldnt do anything except watch the Daughter the whole time she was out , she hated her with a passion. :o

I grew up with a border collie and a stafford (both bitches) who were constantly on the go.

Both were speyed, and I think the border was about 8 or 9 when we got the staff (something like that). Initially the staff loved the border to pieces. Just thought she was the bees knees. Then, when she got to about 12 months old she attacked the border over some food. We thought it was a once off but we were wrong.

They had very many nasty vicious fights and the staff always went for the front legs or throat (I never realised the importance of the legs until I read a thread here a few months ago). Someone was always there luckily but 3 of us were bitten, my mum had statiches on her ankle, I was bitten on the pinky and my sister was bitten on the eye. One upside to being bitten was you could always guarantee that the minute a person was bitten the fight would stop.

Anyway, they had some quite nasty fights and the border never started them but she wasnt letting some small staff bitch get the upper hand so in the end my mum separated them. Sometimes a separate yard, sometimes the staff would be tied. The dogs still hung out together if Rosie was tied, but it meant Missy could move away when Rosie snapped.

Anyway, Missy died when she was about 17 or so and my mum inherited my sisters staffy/bull terrier/lab boy. At first Rosie thought the play mate was great but them she started attacking him too.

The last time I saw her fight, she was about 11 years old. Remus (the other dog) had been tied so Rosie could have a turn in the back yard with us on Xmas day. We were kicking the ball round and everyone was getting excited and not watching like they should have...rosie got super excited and laid right into remus (he was about twice the size). Anyway, my partner grabbe dher and chucked her backwards but befor eone of us had a chance to react she was back in at remus again. It was quite savage. For her efforts that time mum refused to tak eher to the vet (she took remus) as she had decided if rosie was so intent on starting fights then she could deal with the bloody consequences (I tried telling her I dont think the dog looks at it that way but you know mothers LOLOL).

Rosie was just a fiesty wee lass and there were often not any warning signals either.

Guest belgian.blue

I had two bitches once, one injured the other a few times.

Holes in ears, neck wounds.

Most of the time they were buddies but randomly one would go for the other. The main reason I have a male puppy with my bitch.

eta - both my bitches were speyed.

Edited by belgian.blue

Wow, this is pretty amazing reading this. I have read many times that the best combinations in order to have is (a) male and a female together; (b) two desexed females together and lastly © two desexed males together. I always thought that two entire males together could end in tragedy.

That's what I have always heard too....When I was flatting we had a bitch and 2 males....none desexed, but they were only babies so doesnt really count.

Then ever since I have been with my partner we have always had a desexed female and an undesexed male.....we have never had any "fights"

Edited by lanabanana

I rescue shar pei who are not known for being nice. I've had a number of bitches pts for aggression against other bitches or dogs (usually I can now pick who will get on with whom within a day or so) , but only had one male who hated my dominant male (and it took them six months to get to that stage). He was rehomed with another female pei and they have had no problems, but we have to watch them carefully if they meet at a dog park. Bitches are way more trouble IMO.

Interesting read. Sorry to all those who have lost a dog :rofl:

I plan on having more than one entire bitch at a time (2-3 max) and more likely mother/daughter combos, so it's sobering reading all these stories.

I've only just had both of my dogs have an actual fight ever late last week, one is an 6 year old entire male the other an 8 year old who still thinks he is entire. Was all noise, the older one got nicked on the ears which was probably accidental and he got knocked down a few pegs as he never really heeded the younger ones warnings but apart from that you couldn't even tell as straight afterwards they were back to usual with each other.

Not the same as two bitches fighting but I am glad they had one while I was home as tension had been building for awhile.

Edited by tollersowned

I had 2 sisters but they were a litter apart. They lived together for 12 years until both passed away within 6 months of each other this year. Never any problems. They never played and wrestled like normal dogs but certainly slept next to each other and travelled in the car and went camping together all the time.

There was only ever one very small tiff over a leftover schamako chew on the deck where the older girl ended up with a very small wound on her side that turned into a scar. They were both desexed very young which I dont know if that helped or not.

As kids my aunty always had mini foxies and always had a mother and daughter. My mum and dad also had a small wire haired cross something and we went away all together to the holiday house a bit and once again never any problems. So yes it can be done but I think its rarer NOT to have problems as you hear so many stories about people that do have problems with 2 girls.

We've experienced it, and the only reason the bitch being attacked isn't dead is because we were around to intervene.

Same here - gives me the shivers thinking about the fight and what could have been. People who talk about breaking up fights with buckets of water obviously have never seen bitches fight to kill.

Bitches CAN live nicely together, but just because they are "girls" doesn't make them all sugar and spice.

I've witness some scary situations, and find most "to the death" fighting is personal and same sex. The individual dogs can be fine with other dogs but have a particular beef with just one other.

The biggest turmoil I found was bringing in an "outside" bitch to a pack of dogs that were lead by a strong bitch. It was like watching a documentary on a pride of Lions - the top bitch decided who could breed or flirt (her immediate daughters) and she would not flirt with her litter brother or sons, only "outside" males. She hated the outsider girl and pushed her out from the pack situation, until the outsider girl got sick of it. Those 2 could not be trusted and one of them would have died if there wasn't intervention. Yet both girls ran perfectly fine with other entire females, and were not dog aggressive. The outsider girl's daughters don't play nice with the top bitch's daughters/granddaughters, but play really nice with each other and any other bitch. :rofl: It's a case of running two packs now, one decended from the original top girl and one from the outsider bitch.

Edited by Lowenhart