Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Haven't yet found a stockist of the Black Hawk chicken in adelaide yet. (The lamb doesn't seem to agree with my girl - but the puppy is doing very very well on the BH puppy)

Anyone know where I can get it in Adelaide?

Also - dobesrock - I tried my girl on the same earthborn, but saw no major difference in coat or skin (no improvement) so didn't see the point in spending the money on this for no noticeable difference. She is on nutro chicken and oatmeal now.

Is Nutro grain free? I've got one of mine on BH and she is thriving on it (best coat in ages), the other gets yeasty ears so have switched her to Eagle Pack Holistic grain free. No idea if it's doing her ears any good or not (as we had the ears flushed not too long ago so right now they're ok), but wanted her to be on grain free just for that bit of extra help. EPH is expensive though and I'm looking for an alternative grain free that is slightly cheaper - it costs $85 for 12kg while BH costs $95 for 20kg!

Nutro doesn't have any grain free formulas. Which Holistic Select variety are you using that is grain free? If you are looking for a food that is wheat, soy, corn and beet pulp free then there certainly are some great options out there, or if you want a food that has no grains or cereals at all, then you need a product that is actually packaged as grain free (Artemis Maximal, Canidae has 4 grain free, Earthborn Holistic has 2 grain free, Taste of the Wild, Evo, etc).

Sags

:)

Thanks. She is on Earthborn Holistic Ocean Catch(?) grain free. Whatever the fishy one is laugh.gif It's expensive, but I'll stay on it for a while and see how her ears go. I prefer to have both dogs on the same food for ease, but the price of EH is so eek1.gif for so little that I'll keep my other girl on BH for now. Her coat is great on BH, have had a few compliments on it and ask what I feed. For some reason, people are surprised it's BH :o

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Labradork

Holistic Select have a new grain free formula. It is basically the Sardine, Salmon & Anchovy formula but without the grains. It is available in the US now but I'm not sure when it is coming to Australia.

eta

I have the Australian distributor's email address. I might email them and ask. Here it is if anyone wants it...

[email protected]

These people are fantastic to deal with. The customer service is excellent now that they have taken over from the old distributors.

Edited by Labradork

Haven't yet found a stockist of the Black Hawk chicken in adelaide yet. (The lamb doesn't seem to agree with my girl - but the puppy is doing very very well on the BH puppy)

Also - dobesrock - I tried my girl on the same earthborn, but saw no major difference in coat or skin (no improvement) so didn't see the point in spending the money on this for no noticeable difference. She is on nutro chicken and oatmeal now.

Is Nutro grain free? I've got one of mine on BH and she is thriving on it (best coat in ages), the other gets yeasty ears so have switched her to Eagle Pack Holistic grain free. No idea if it's doing her ears any good or not (as we had the ears flushed not too long ago so right now they're ok), but wanted her to be on grain free just for that bit of extra help. EPH is expensive though and I'm looking for an alternative grain free that is slightly cheaper - it costs $85 for 12kg while BH costs $95 for 20kg!

Nutro doesn't have any grain free formulas. Which Holistic Select variety are you using that is grain free? If you are looking for a food that is wheat, soy, corn and beet pulp free then there certainly are some great options out there, or if you want a food that has no grains or cereals at all, then you need a product that is actually packaged as grain free (Artemis Maximal, Canidae has 4 grain free, Earthborn Holistic has 2 grain free, Taste of the Wild, Evo, etc).

Sags

Thanks. She is on Earthborn Holistic Ocean Catch(?) grain free. Whatever the fishy one is laugh.gif It's expensive, but I'll stay on it for a while and see how her ears go. I prefer to have both dogs on the same food for ease, but the price of EH is so eek1.gif for so little that I'll keep my other girl on BH for now. Her coat is great on BH, have had a few compliments on it and ask what I feed. For some reason, people are surprised it's BH :o

Sorry - got confused as you mentioned you were using Eagle Pack Holistic earlier - not Earthborn Holistic. Are you on their frequent buyer program to help out a bit with cost?

Labradork - the new grain free HS is definately coming over from what Eagle Pack have told us recently.

Sags

Guest Labradork

Labradork - the new grain free HS is definately coming over from what Eagle Pack have told us recently.

Sags

Thanks very much.

Sags

Sorry - got confused as you mentioned you were using Eagle Pack Holistic earlier - not Earthborn Holistic. Are you on their frequent buyer program to help out a bit with cost?

Sags

Very good to hear :)

Sags

Sorry, you're not the only one! I have confused myself and now I don't actually know!! :o

Just went and checked an email from my local supplier (agility club) and it's Earthborn Holistic Ocean Fusion grain free. I pay $85 for 12kg.

What is the frequent buyer program? Any idea on what sort of savings? We get a discount through our agility club so just wondering if this discount is comparable!

Sags

Sorry, you're not the only one! I have confused myself and now I don't actually know!! :o

Just went and checked an email from my local supplier (agility club) and it's Earthborn Holistic Ocean Fusion grain free. I pay $85 for 12kg.

What is the frequent buyer program? Any idea on what sort of savings? We get a discount through our agility club so just wondering if this discount is comparable!

Hi again,

From memory, Ocean Fusion contains barley and rye so is definately not grain free. Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch is grain free and is their other fish based product.

The loyalty program is buy 8 get 1 free but I don't know if a club would be able to get the cards. Might be worth contacting the wholesaler to find out - when I'm at work I'll get their details and send you a pm. Don't want to keep side tracking the thread. :)

Sags

Sags

Boy...that's cheap....at my local supplier it is $82 for 6 kilos :eek:

Edited by sheena

Sags

I paid about $98 for the 12kg ocean fusion last time, and that was when it was on special at petstock. So $85 is pretty cheap.

Sags

Thanks very much.

All the new Artemis formulas will also be here early Jan, there is a Grain Free Salmon & a Salmon & Rice included in these.

Sags

I paid about $98 for the 12kg ocean fusion last time, and that was when it was on special at petstock. So $85 is pretty cheap.

Considering the cost price of Earthborn, $85 for 12kg is very cheap!

And the earthborn fish grain free is Coastal Catch, not ocean fusion. There is a new grain free variety too, meadow feast (lamb being the primary) lower in fat and protein.

Must be coastal catch then, I'm in another state right now so can't check the bag :laugh:

Wow ok didn't know how big a discount we were actually getting. Good to hear its a good deal! But I still find it expensive though compared to the BH I feed my other girl :p

Got your PM Sags, thanks :)

Sags

Considering the cost price of Earthborn, $85 for 12kg is very cheap!

And the earthborn fish grain free is Coastal Catch, not ocean fusion. There is a new grain free variety too, meadow feast (lamb being the primary) lower in fat and protein.

FRee shipping deal on Deals Diect for Earthborn atm, and Hills Prescription http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/search/petfood12/?utm_source=Daily&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=DD_DLY_20121203_Monday

• 3 weeks later...

Well the penny has dropped. Sadly I'm taking mine off BH as despite them doing well on it (coat, poo) my two older westies seem to have become yeasty and scratchy on it. My Westie girl in particular has been itching like there's no tomorrow and the old boy appears to have a yeasty ear. And yes I'm fairly sure it's the food as the timing for my boy using it (ran out of the b/d) is spot on. And since taking her off it and back to chicken necks in the morning my girl Westie is doing much better (and I'm sleeping better!)

Really peeved about this as I really like the product - just doesn't seem like my dogs.

So anyone in Adelaide like about half an open bag of BH - at least 10kgs? Free to a good home - just pm me. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well the penny has dropped. Sadly I'm taking mine off BH as despite them doing well on it (coat, poo) my two older westies seem to have become yeasty and scratchy on it. My Westie girl in particular has been itching like there's no tomorrow and the old boy appears to have a yeasty ear.

Same scenario here with our two - with dandruff to boot unfortunately :(

I know when it comes down to it BH is a business, but I must admit I was a tad disappointed to see a huge promotion for it in Pets Parasites today :( I'd heard good things about Evo which I'm led to believe was a PP only product until recently, so there's really not much that's turning me away from giving that a try now :(

Edited by Pheebs

I had the very same scenario with my 2 as well. My boy suffered far worse than my girl. Their coats just went so down hill.... Dull, dry & very coarse. Dandruff & an awful yeasty smell about them.

It has taken me 3 months to get them looking half decent again :( BH may suit some dogs but definitely NOT mine. I will NEVER use it again & I know of others that wont either.

It definately suits my two...they look wonderful on it :thumbsup: one has been on it now for over two years & the other since I got him as a pup. No problems with skin & absolutely no smell at all in my camp. They have maintained the perfect weight, tho I do have to keep an eye on it & if it starts to creep up, I cut down the kibble a bit. I bought my girl a 6.7 kilo bag of Earthborn Coastal Catch to give her a bit of a change. I had to give her 25% more & she lost almost 3 kilos by the time the bag was finished :eek: So now she is back on BH. When this bag of Lamb is finished I am going to start them on the Chicken. Just goes to show, that not all foods suit all dogs, but a DOLer did a poll just recently on "what dry food do you use" & the majority of DOL's voted for Black Hawk.

ETA Link to Poll on Dry Dog Food

Edited by sheena

This is a more recent poll What you feed your dogs If it's the most popular dry dog food for DOL's it must have something good going for it :thumbsup: Maybe this thread only attracts those people who are not happy with it....those who are happy with it, which is the majority of users, couldn't be bothered coming into this thread, because they know, if they do, then they will get pounced on by the small, but vocal number of unhappy customers.

a DOLer did a poll just recently on "what dry food do you use" & the majority of DOL's voted for Black Hawk.

ETA Link to Poll on Dry Dog Food

I think you mean, the majority of the people who actually voted fed this to their dogs. Not the majority of members feed this to their dogs. :)

44 people voting for BH out of over 33,000 members is not the majority of the forum IMO.