Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Sheena, your aggressive approach to issues doesn't do the brand any favours.

I am not the one being agressive. It has been said that why doesn't she reply to peoples on this thread....I am mearly pointing out that Sherel (BH) does not come onto this thread any more. Kayla1 cannot even tell me what her user name is, yet she condems her for not taking note of what is being said on this thread. If you have a complaint then send it to her...don't expect ther to ba a mind reader. I don't think I am being agressive at all, I think I am just making a stand for commonsense ..if you want answers, then ask her...how can that be agressive. :shrug:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the penny has dropped. Sadly I'm taking mine off BH as despite them doing well on it (coat, poo) my two older westies seem to have become yeasty and scratchy on it. My Westie girl in particular has been itching like there's no tomorrow and the old boy appears to have a yeasty ear.

Same scenario here with our two - with dandruff to boot unfortunately :(

I know when it comes down to it BH is a business, but I must admit I was a tad disappointed to see a huge promotion for it in Pets Parasites today :( I'd heard good things about Evo which I'm led to believe was a PP only product until recently, so there's really not much that's turning me away from giving that a try now :(

I think I can safely say that out of all the Major brands of pet food available in Australia, Artemis is the only 1 that you will not find in a pet shop selling puppies & Kittens.

Thanks for the "heads up" regarding Artemis. I was unaware of that & I am very pleased that they don't. I am dead against anything with a heartbeat being sold in a Pet Shop. I was going to give Artemis a try with my guys too as they have a new grain free variety available & see how they go as they are quite fussy at times :)

Well the penny has dropped. Sadly I'm taking mine off BH as despite them doing well on it (coat, poo) my two older westies seem to have become yeasty and scratchy on it. My Westie girl in particular has been itching like there's no tomorrow and the old boy appears to have a yeasty ear.

I know when it comes down to it BH is a business, but I must admit I was a tad disappointed to see a huge promotion for it in Pets Parasites today :( I'd heard good things about Evo which I'm led to believe was a PP only product until recently, so there's really not much that's turning me away from giving that a try now :(

I think I can safely say that out of all the Major brands of pet food available in Australia, Artemis is the only 1 that you will not find in a pet shop selling puppies & Kittens.

Thanks for the "heads up" regarding Artemis. I was unaware of that & I am very pleased that they don't. I am dead against anything with a heartbeat being sold in a Pet Shop. I was going to give Artemis a try with my guys too as they have a new grain free variety available & see how they go as they are quite fussy at times :)

I am not sure if this is true or not, but I was told once, that under the Rules of the Dept of Fair Trading, it is unlawful to refuse to sell your product to a business that has an ABN number. Something to do with with the Restrictive Trades Act. So if a certain pet shop wants to buy a certain product, legally, there is nothing the manufacturer can do.

Sheena, your aggressive approach to issues doesn't do the brand any favours.

I am not the one being agressive. It has been said that why doesn't she reply to peoples on this thread....I am mearly pointing out that Sherel (BH) does not come onto this thread any more. Kayla1 cannot even tell me what her user name is, yet she condems her for not taking note of what is being said on this thread. If you have a complaint then send it to her...don't expect ther to ba a mind reader. I don't think I am being agressive at all, I think I am just making a stand for commonsense ..if you want answers, then ask her...how can that be agressive. :shrug:

Sheena I don't know how you are involved with BH, but some of your replies serve no other purpose than to turn people away from the product you try so hard to promote. Which as I said is a real shame, especially when there are those that would love nothing more than to support a local product.

It definately suits my two...they look wonderful on it :thumbsup: one has been on it now for over two years & the other since I got him as a pup. No problems with skin & absolutely no smell at all in my camp. They have maintained the perfect weight, tho I do have to keep an eye on it & if it starts to creep up, I cut down the kibble a bit. I bought my girl a 6.7 kilo bag of Earthborn Coastal Catch to give her a bit of a change. I had to give her 25% more & she lost almost 3 kilos by the time the bag was finished :eek: So now she is back on BH. When this bag of Lamb is finished I am going to start them on the Chicken. Just goes to show, that not all foods suit all dogs, but a DOLer did a poll just recently on "what dry food do you use" & the majority of DOL's voted for Black Hawk.

ETA Link to Poll on Dry Dog Food

That was my poll, that Sheena has linked, & at the time I had just started feeding my dogs BH...I can happily say that 15 months later, I am still feeding them BH. My dogs are thriving on it, nice shiny coats, stools nice & firm, & no more gas ect... I love the food, & won't be switching them to anything else any time soon :D

I guess it is like with any dog food, some dogs will do well on it & thrive, other dogs, it will not agree with them at all, & it is just the matter of finding the right food for your dog....if you read the feedback on the BH FB page most of it is very positive. :)

ETA: I have recommended BH to my sister, my mum (for her cat ) 3 of my puppy owners, my neighbour across the rd, & 2 of my FB friends...all dogs & cat love it & are doing well on it, all owners very happy! :)

Edited by Baileys mum

I had the very same scenario with my 2 as well. My boy suffered far worse than my girl. Their coats just went so down hill.... Dull, dry & very coarse. Dandruff & an awful yeasty smell about them.

It has taken me 3 months to get them looking half decent again :( BH may suit some dogs but definitely NOT mine. I will NEVER use it again & I know of others that wont either.

I'll back you up there BC Crazy :)

It has taken me ages to get Abbey's coat back to normal after being on BH. It did deffinately not agree with her and i would never go near BH again.

I will check their FB to see the response to the PP question as I am very reluctant to support something that supports such a place.

I feed it, sell it and use it in my kennels. I have had no issues with it and have many people that are happy with it and so far dogs in the kennels do well on it.

Having said that I do not expect everyone to agree, I do not expect all dogs to do well on it as many don't so well on other brands of foods either.The reponse to such critisisms is important.

I had the very same scenario with my 2 as well. My boy suffered far worse than my girl. Their coats just went so down hill.... Dull, dry & very coarse. Dandruff & an awful yeasty smell about them.

It has taken me 3 months to get them looking half decent again :( BH may suit some dogs but definitely NOT mine. I will NEVER use it again & I know of others that wont either.

I'll back you up there BC Crazy :)

It has taken me ages to get Abbey's coat back to normal after being on BH. It did deffinately not agree with her and i would never go near BH again.

Yes, thanks Tara. We have seen what damage BH can do first hand unfortunatley :(

I actually think BH is a great product for dogs that tolerate grains. Unfortunately, my westies don't - my girl westie in particular - so I can't use it. That doesn't mean I dislike it or wouldn't recommend it. I have recomennded it in the past and still do. Its a case of find what your dogs do well on and stick with it IMO. :)

Has BH ever had any releases or media about whether they will acknowledge or look into these itchy coat and ear issues it seems linked to in so many dogs?

Interesting comment that i have wondered about also....

Yep I find that a very interesting question as well - as it was for yeasty ears in my very old boy westie and for severe itchies in my girl that I decided to give away over ten kgs of BH!

Has BH ever had any releases or media about whether they will acknowledge or look into these itchy coat and ear issues it seems linked to in so many dogs?

The food is not gluten free, nor is it advertised as such. Not sure why BH would need to look into it. I'd not feed it to an allergy prone dog though. It also contains flaxseed and that's another common allergen.

It's a dog food that's cheaper than any of the imported super premiums and with at least one ingredient (emu oil) that as far as I can establish has no proven nutritional value. My personal belief is that you get what you pay for to a fair degree. If people expected it to be a miracle product then there were bound to be disappointments. :shrug:

For those whose dogs it suits, its affordable. My dogs didn't like it so the decision was made for me.

Personally I think a lot of the attitude towards Black Hawk stemmed from its promoters slamming other foods in the early days. There's room in the dog food market for more than one good dog food. :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Yep I find that a very interesting question as well - as it was for yeasty ears in my very old boy westie and for severe itchies in my girl that I decided to give away over ten kgs of BH!

Same very big donation to Assistance Dogs.

One of my Labs and my mum's Mini Schnauzer are on Black Hawk and doing quite well on it. I prefer the lamb to the chicken, though (don't think THEY mind which, but I think they do better on the lamb). Shiny coats, no dandruff, no excess stools, no funny tummies. Meanwhile, I have my other Lab on Earthborn Holistic (grain free) and she's doing well on that.

I'd love to feed both my Labs the same food, but Earthborn Holistic is too expensive to have the other on when she does fine on Black Hawk, and I can't have the other on BH because she is prone to ear infections and the grain free seems to be helping in that regard. She's been on it for about 6 months and ears are all good *touch wood!!!* so we'll stick with that for now.

Raw diet became too hard because the one who does well on BH, did horribly on raw (was either vomiting up bones or badly constipated) so I canned it for both of them. Probably should do raw for the one with ear problems again, but while she is doing well on grain free, we'll stick to it because I'm too busy and unorganised for the whole raw thing! Plus I'm really not sure if she could have a food allergy to chicken/lamb/whatever causing the ear problems, without doing an elimination diet, so grain free ocean catch is so far the winner laugh.gif

Edited by RubyStar

I am not sure if this is true or not, but I was told once, that under the Rules of the Dept of Fair Trading, it is unlawful to refuse to sell your product to a business that has an ABN number. Something to do with with the Restrictive Trades Act. So if a certain pet shop wants to buy a certain product, legally, there is nothing the manufacturer can do.

Let me set you straight Sheena if you are not sure :) http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml?itemId=304569 As the ACCC states "There are a few circumstances only when a refusal to deal is made illegal by the Trade Practices Act. These are dealt with in this leaflet. In general, businesses may decide for themselves with whom they wish to deal. No one has the absolute right to be supplied.

Artemis' policy has always been to not supply Pet Shops who sell puppies & kittens.

Artemis' policy has always been to not supply Pet Shops who sell puppies & kittens.

That is fantastic that it is Artemis's policy! It shows the type of ethics they uphold as a company!

But also that way distributors can't do what they want in that regard! :thumbsup:

No it is not true. A manufacturer can decline to supply anyone it chooses. It is called Refusal to Deal.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/816206

I emailed to Sherel & this is her reply...I think that the "knockers" of this little Aussie battler & also her supporters, may be interested in her response. As I explained, she no longer comes onto DOL...she hasn't been on for months & after this I too will not be coming back onto the Black Hawk thread. I am not BH, I am a very, very small distributor on the NSW North Coast. Along with my daughter, her husband Mark we started distributing BH a couple of years ago, as there was no one closer than Sydney or Brisbane who could supply the product. So we took it on to enable people in the country to have access to this great product. Obviously, the product does not agree with everyones dogs, but hey, no product does. We actually have people buy it from us for their dogs which have skin & tummy issues, & they keep coming back for more & recommend it to other people. It's the people who come onto this forum & blame BH for ALL their dogs continuing problems that get me riled up....really....get real. Any way here is Sherel's response along with her contact details if you wish to contact her further...you wont be seeing me on here again

Hi xxxxx

Thankyou for contacting the office, we closed on the 21st Dec through to the 7th January, we have been extremely busy catching up with orders and everything else,

I don’t run the Facebook page, Jodie does, she is currently away for the next two weeks,

I have been busy with my business partner formulating a new exciting formula and our grain free cookies, and also another feline formula, plus on top of that we have the packaging to design, if people email us directly we are happy to answer their enquires,

As for us selling or promote Pets Paradise whoever they are, we do not supply them directly from us, they maybe one of Rudducks customers, who are a wholesale distributor

Oh and in the last week, I have been and delivered BH to the fire victims in Ballarat every household 9 in total received dog and cat food from us and we also gave to the local pound food to feed the extra pets that have ended up there, plus gave them a gallon of shampoo to wash all the animals that are covered in soot, dust and dirt,

Sunday I drove and collected clothes pet bedding etc, to pack on a pallet of dog and cat food we are shipping for free to Tasmania for those affected by the fires and if they need more we will ship it,

Thanks again for your support

Regards

Sherel

BlackHawk Premium Pet Care

www.blackhawkpetcare.com.au

www.kylainknls.com

ETA I have deleted the personal bit, but I still think it is important that people know that Sherel is a very, very sick person & for her to continue on with her dream of producing a great 100% Aussie product against all odds, including the fancy imports owned & produced by big multinationals. I would like to wish her all the best...& yes, I had her permission to publish the whole email.

Edited by sheena