Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Guest donatella

:eek:

Does she know you would post the whole email here? I think you should just cut and paste what is appropriate to the food talk, not someones personal life.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:eek:

Does she know you would post the whole email here? I think you should just cut and paste what is appropriate to the food talk, not someones personal life.

The most hilarious part is she took out her own name, but left in intimate details about someone else!

The food is not gluten free, nor is it advertised as such. Not sure why BH would need to look into it. I'd not feed it to an allergy prone dog though. It also contains flaxseed and that's another common allergen.

It's a dog food that's cheaper than any of the imported super premiums and with at least one ingredient (emu oil) that as far as I can establish has no proven nutritional value. My personal belief is that you get what you pay for to a fair degree. If people expected it to be a miracle product then there were bound to be disappointments. :shrug:

For those whose dogs it suits, its affordable. My dogs didn't like it so the decision was made for me.

Personally I think a lot of the attitude towards Black Hawk stemmed from its promoters slamming other foods in the early days. There's room in the dog food market for more than one good dog food. :)

My dogs eat anything and everything and BH was my first foray into a higher quality and higher priced food. And it was based on hearing nothing but good about the food. So when I started seeing problems in my dogs I didn't even think of the food and scrambled around looking for answers. But when I raised it on here I found many others with similar experiences, and a blanket ignore from the company. Which is fine. But when the food is touted as the be-all and and-all of Australian made dog foods, and anyone who raises an issue (which seems to be quite a number) is poo-poo'ed on the basis of "they're a great company and give to charity" sort of information, it doesn't help resolve people's queries, and the health problems of their animals.

I'm sorry, but the problems seem widespread yet ignored, with no info on what may cause the issue or what recipe changes may be in the future to alleviate the problems. This is how the product's otherwise good name will continue to be questioned. Those questions go unanswered so increasingly customers go elsewhere.

My dogs grew their coat (and skin!) back on a diet of far cheaper (not gluten or allergen free!!) food. The kibble they now eat is still Australian made and doesn't make them sick. Although it is little known and not hyped as the best thing since sliced bread. So the guilt trips about how awesome the company is, or how unwell the proprietor may be won't sway me to spend another cent on BH.

Sorry, I wish well for the business. But their PR seems seriously lacking.

The food is not gluten free, nor is it advertised as such. Not sure why BH would need to look into it. I'd not feed it to an allergy prone dog though. It also contains flaxseed and that's another common allergen.

It's a dog food that's cheaper than any of the imported super premiums and with at least one ingredient (emu oil) that as far as I can establish has no proven nutritional value. My personal belief is that you get what you pay for to a fair degree. If people expected it to be a miracle product then there were bound to be disappointments. :shrug:

For those whose dogs it suits, its affordable. My dogs didn't like it so the decision was made for me.

Personally I think a lot of the attitude towards Black Hawk stemmed from its promoters slamming other foods in the early days. There's room in the dog food market for more than one good dog food. :)

My dogs eat anything and everything and BH was my first foray into a higher quality and higher priced food. And it was based on hearing nothing but good about the food. So when I started seeing problems in my dogs I didn't even think of the food and scrambled around looking for answers. But when I raised it on here I found many others with similar experiences, and a blanket ignore from the company. Which is fine. But when the food is touted as the be-all and and-all of Australian made dog foods, and anyone who raises an issue (which seems to be quite a number) is poo-poo'ed on the basis of "they're a great company and give to charity" sort of information, it doesn't help resolve people's queries, and the health problems of their animals.

I'm sorry, but the problems seem widespread yet ignored, with no info on what may cause the issue or what recipe changes may be in the future to alleviate the problems. This is how the product's otherwise good name will continue to be questioned. Those questions go unanswered so increasingly customers go elsewhere.

My dogs grew their coat (and skin!) back on a diet of far cheaper (not gluten or allergen free!!) food. The kibble they now eat is still Australian made and doesn't make them sick. Although it is little known and not hyped as the best thing since sliced bread. So the guilt trips about how awesome the company is, or how unwell the proprietor may be won't sway me to spend another cent on BH.

Sorry, I wish well for the business. But their PR seems seriously lacking.

Very very well said and i completely agree.

+ 1 totally agree as well & yes, very well said.

There were quite a few dogs with such similar symptoms. And for my dog to have such fast relief from those very same symptoms soon as I swapped him to another dry food speaks volumes for me. And as I have said it may suit some dogs. I know my step sons Dobe & Staffie are thriving on BH. but I will never use or recommend it again.

+2 great post. I'm sorry but I'm another that will never use or recommend it again. I have never seen any of my dogs condition go downhill so quick on any food in all the years I've had dogs and that includes all the rescue dogs that have come through our place.

I was actually embarrassed by their condition and it made me feel like a neglectful owner which I'm not.

It took about 3 months for them to look good again and to clear up my old girls dandruff.

Good luck to the ones that are successfully using it but IMO it is the worst food I've ever used and I would rather feed them home brand.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

Yes rascal, I was also very embarrassed by my dogs awful coat condition at their worst & my fella still isn't 100% back to where he was. Just have to wait for his coat to grow now, very long process :(

And yes it all happened pretty fast once it started.

I was really upset/angry when you take such pride in your precious companions, & they end up looking like no one owns them :(

Edited by BC Crazy

My dogs enjoyed the food and their condition on it was brilliant. However, my younger dog experienced some inexplicable health issues that started when feeding the food, which stopped when I switched to another food. Could have been coincidence, who knows.

People who say that the food didn't suit their dogs aren't making up stories or lying, they're just telling their experiences. To be honest I wouldn't have even mentioned the above issues if some people weren't trying to make me feel bad or guilty for thinking BH might not be the best food for my dogs. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Other foods haven't suited my dogs either but I just move on!

Edited by wuffles

Yes wuffles, thats how I feel about it too. I probably would have just moved on to another brand without commenting at all when I noticed so many others with similar issues with their dogs coat condition I thought hang on a second it's just not me. I wasn't out to cause trouble or upset anyone. But was trying to get to the bottom of what exactly was causing it. Had they changed an ingredient in it perhaps ??? Or something.... Still none the wiser there but there certainly shouldn't be any issues with me asking questions & comparing my boys symptoms with fellow dolers. After all that is what a forum is about & if anyone had seen Sonny at his worst they would be the first to raise their hand. It is going to take a good 6 months before his beautiful coat is near what it used to be , lucky he is not a show dog. I have had to cut nearly all his pants off due to coat damage & what I haven't cut is an horrendous mix of red discolouration & frizz :(

Surely I shouldn't be made feel as you say not being truthful etc because it just couldn't possibility be caused by BH.......

Edited by BC Crazy

BC Crazy i think it would be interesting if people had posted pictures of the condition there dogs ended up in.... then everyone could really see the similarities and join the dots.

And yes this is a forum to share experiences, before i started my girl on BH i hadnt read anything bad about it, honestly i only heard good reports. But the more you talked to people the more it all started to add up. I have heard people say either your dog will look great on BH or it will go really bad, unfortuantly like BC Crazy i also got the really bad and it has taken now 6 months and my girls back to normal. I felt sorry for her cause she was misserable scratching biting at herself she could barely sleep some nights cause she just couldnt stop, and i felt bad knowing what people were thinking when they looked at her dull dry discoloured balding coat.

Different dogs do well on different food. No doubt there are some that feel that no one should say a bad thing about BH. However, there are some that have drawn a very long bow and seem to imply that the stuff is almost poison because their dog doesn't do well on it, including one false post that the food had all been recalled because of a bad batch.

Different dogs do well on different food. No doubt there are some that feel that no one should say a bad thing about BH. However, there are some that have drawn a very long bow and seem to imply that the stuff is almost poison because their dog doesn't do well on it, including one false post that the food had all been recalled because of a bad batch.

I think that was a genuine misunderstanding though, if it's the post I'm thinking of.

yes Kayla but they should have checked before posting it. They overheard a conversation about another brand, posted the info and then only corrected it too late. People who didn't come back to check would never know. Rumours like that destroy businesses and can financially ruin people.

I still think there are some people who have gone beyond the "my dog doesn't do well on it" line.

yes Kayla but they should have checked before posting it. They overheard a conversation about another brand, posted the info and then only corrected it too late. People who didn't come back to check would never know. Rumours like that destroy businesses and can financially ruin people.

I still think there are some people who have gone beyond the "my dog doesn't do well on it" line.

Oh yes agree info should have been checked first. Though personally I think the response at the time could have been better.

Agree!

For some reason BH brings out the worst in people, if your dog doesn't do well on it, no problem find a food that your dog does! There is really no need to harp on about it.

I've got all 3 of mine of it, all three are show dogs, do agility and flyball. So having them in excellent condition is essential. I do recommend people try it because I've had awesome results but I am certainly not going to make them feel bad if their dog drops condition and need to swap.....hell I didn't bag any of the other premium brands when one of mine couldn't keep weight on and looked like crap.

Agree!

For some reason BH brings out the worst in people, if your dog doesn't do well on it, no problem find a food that your dog does! There is really no need to harp on about it.

I've got all 3 of mine of it, all three are show dogs, do agility and flyball. So having them in excellent condition is essential. I do recommend people try it because I've had awesome results but I am certainly not going to make them feel bad if their dog drops condition and need to swap.....hell I didn't bag any of the other premium brands when one of mine couldn't keep weight on and looked like crap.

Totally agree, I have tried my dogs on 3 very popular premium dog foods in the past, & my dogs did terribly on them, but I didn't come onto a dog forum to bag them out, because I know some dogs do well on certain foods, while others will not!

My dogs have been on BH for 15 months, & I couldn't be happier with the results, but I know it's not a food that every dog will do well on too!

As Sheena has mentioned Sherel, does not come on Dol anymore or read this thread, so I think if you have had problems with the food, or have any questions, you should really email her direct...She is very nice, & I'm sure she would be more than happy to talk about the food, & answer any questions! :)

Edited by Baileys mum

I really can't understand anyone getting so upset about people telling the truth about a product wether it be good or bad.

The only reason I spoke up is over the years I have tried many foods and some didn't agree with one or two of the dogs ( Artemis being one of those)but were fine for the others but this is the only food I have ever used that has affected all the dogs do badly and so quickly.

I want other people to know incase they have the same thing happen and don't think of the food being the cause.

Rascalmyshadow, I don't think anyone is upset over honest comments - well, except for the zealots. Some people have implied some sort of conspiracy though.

My dogs did really, really badly on TOTW. The smells that came out of my two healthy dogs made me think there was a gas leak in my house - seriously. However, every time someone posts about TOTW I don't feel tell them that it is a really bad food and I would never, ever feed it to a dog again (not saying you said this, but some do). Whenever someone posts anything about BH certain people chime in about how dreadful it is.

It is a mid-priced dog food that has brewer's yeast in it, as do a lot of commercial dog foods. No doubt that this ingredient causes issues for some dogs. If a dog can't tolerate yeast then they should be fed BH.

FWIW, I don't feed black hawk. My dogs didn't do too well on it (didn't do badly either, but I prefer other foods and they get mostly raw anyway).