Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

yes Kayla but they should have checked before posting it. They overheard a conversation about another brand, posted the info and then only corrected it too late. People who didn't come back to check would never know. Rumours like that destroy businesses and can financially ruin people.

I still think there are some people who have gone beyond the "my dog doesn't do well on it" line.

Well said Megan. Just because it didn't suit my guys doesn't mean others won't do really well on it. And I think it's fabulous that an Australian company is trying to make a high quality food locally. :thumbsup: And no company in its right mind would do anything other than their best - their reputation and viability depends on it so to suggest anything else is ludicrous IMO.

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really can't understand anyone getting so upset about people telling the truth about a product wether it be good or bad.

The only reason I spoke up is over the years I have tried many foods and some didn't agree with one or two of the dogs ( Artemis being one of those)but were fine for the others but this is the only food I have ever used that has affected all the dogs do badly and so quickly.

I want other people to know incase they have the same thing happen and don't think of the food being the cause.

Firstly I just want to add that I haven't read every single post on this "controversial" thread. Also didn't post here until I noticed some other dolers

suffering such similar issues with their dogs. But I think what is key to this whole BH issue with SOME dogs is that when it doesn't agree with your dog the

symptoms can be quite nasty & happen so quickly. It was a hell of a lot more than gas...

From my experience with Sonny it took food intolerance to a whole new level.

Edited by BC Crazy

yes Kayla but they should have checked before posting it. They overheard a conversation about another brand, posted the info and then only corrected it too late. People who didn't come back to check would never know. Rumours like that destroy businesses and can financially ruin people.

I still think there are some people who have gone beyond the "my dog doesn't do well on it" line.

Oh yes agree info should have been checked first. Though personally I think the response at the time could have been better.

Just to clarify - it was me who started that "issue". What happened was that my work (who is supplied by Rudducks, a company that distributes BH among other foods) was sent an email by a girl at head office telling us about a recall of Black Hawk. I immediately asked in here because at the time I was feeding BH and concerned of course. A few hours later (and people accusing me of incorrect things) we received another email, citing Black DOG which as some will know is actually a treat brand. As soon as I discovered this, I posted in here.

It was a simple misunderstanding, I was a concerned user of BH. I like BH as a food and Cleo never got the runs or lost condition, even if I don't use it anymore because I prefer totally grain free kibble. I would never try to hurt a company in any way, any one who knows who I am would attest to that.

My two have been on BH for nearly 2 years. All was good.

In the past 3 months my older dog Murphy, has developed clusters of cysts (ingrown hairs - can't think of the correct term right now) that are just getting worse and multiplying fast. The vet said to let them clear up on their own with the explanation that some dogs are more prone to them.

After reading many posts where some dogs are having skin issues with BH, it just dawned on me that this may be the reason my boy is suffering. It started off with one or two but now he has about 10 on him :( poor boy.

Whether it's related or not I'm putting them back on grain free kibble to see if this improves him over the next 6 months.

I should have known better, Wheatens and grains are not a good mix.

Thanks for everyones honest reports

Hi,

I have been feeding my 2 GSDs BH for about 8 months now and they are so lean. I have upped to 8 cups a day each hoping they will put on a bit of weight but that, to me, is just so much food compared to some of the other brands like Advance or Hills (which they have been on in the past). I can't remember how much I use to feed but it was never 8 cups.

Does anyone else find they need to feed a lot?

TIA :)

Yes thanks Donatella, it is a chore I kinda hate...lol...

I think it is way too much and so does my hip pocket!

I got them some raw meaty bones this arvo and needless to say they were in heaven for about 4 minutes...lol. I went to the local food supplier and they have a new brand that they recommended, might start a thread to get some feedback, it is called meals for mutts.

:)

I must have been lucky that it did work for Cleo! I was only feeding about 1.5 cups (and 1 barf patty) a day, which is the same I feed now of Earthborn. She doesn't need much.

Compare that to Advance (which I got a free 3kg bag of) and she has a whole cup for brekky instead of half.

• 1 month later...

wow havent on her for a long time, been reading alot of complaints. but for my 2 yr old rotty he has been loving it ever since he was a pup. What other alternatives are there to BH grain free? just for my knowledge

Another here who no longer uses Black Hawk, it was good when we started, but it isn't any more IMHO. We kept getting bags of different consistency / colour size and shape. We also had dogs lose muscle and definition, who also lost weight. We also had poor coats and itchy skin as well as other things. Having to feed more to keep the weight on. Talking with my supplier she too had the same complaints from other customers.........now on onother brand and our dogs and pups haven't looked back!

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Another here who no longer uses Black Hawk, it was good when we started, but it isn't any more IMHO. We kept getting bags of different consistency / colour size and shape. We also had dogs lose muscle and definition, who also lost weight. We also had poor coats and itchy skin as well as other things. Having to feed more to keep the weight on. Talking with my supplier she too had the same complaints from other customers.........now on onother brand and our dogs and pups haven't looked back!

what alternative did you go for? for muscle/definition?

arjay I am using Royal Canin, all dogs are doing very well on it. All have improved coats, no itchy dogs like before and the muscle definition has improved. I am very happy with the results, in fact I have had to cut some of them them back on volume as they are starting to get a bit heavy :thumbsup: :)

We stopped due to much of the above.

Itchy coats,crap coats & bad weight loss