Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Guest english.ivy
Hi All

i will definitely post when Black Hawk release the lite formula.

would be interested to hear peoples prefered meat flavours and why ??

And other ingredients and why, ie dried carrot, dandelion, kelp, etc etc,'

Regards

Sherel

Hello, I'm far from being a regular here, but have to speak up. We swapped our dogs off barf and onto BH because one of them has chicken/ beef allergies (we're not sure which, and he was so unhappy on an elimination diet that we never managed to properly test them both out individually, so we just avoid both for now), and BH was one of the relatively few foods on the market that is free of chicken and beef and wheat (another thing we avoid for both our dogs). So we are thrilled to pieces with the lamb and rice! And the barf-from-birth dog (the one without allergies) finds this dry food very palatable (she's avoided other dry foods).

When the emu oil was added I thought it was a bit of marketing nonsense, but it has definitely made their coats softer. Very happy about that.

If you were looking at adding flavours, we'd be interested in something with seafood (preferably sardines over salmon or tuna, for environmental reasons :confused: ), and id be pretty keen to see a roo flavour (certainly would be unique!). For us personally, we wouldn't buy any flavour with beef or chicken ingredients. Just figured I'd mention it because I'm sure some customers out there like BH because it's beef/ chicken/ wheat free, like we do.

+1 I'd defiantly not buy any BH with beef in it, maybe chicken as my Pointer only seems to not handle chicken raw. A seafood one would be great.

Someone on Dol told me too much kelp is bad?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello, I'm far from being a regular here, but have to speak up. We swapped our dogs off barf and onto BH because one of them has chicken/ beef allergies (we're not sure which, and he was so unhappy on an elimination diet that we never managed to properly test them both out individually, so we just avoid both for now), and BH was one of the relatively few foods on the market that is free of chicken and beef and wheat (another thing we avoid for both our dogs). So we are thrilled to pieces with the lamb and rice! And the barf-from-birth dog (the one without allergies) finds this dry food very palatable (she's avoided other dry foods).

When the emu oil was added I thought it was a bit of marketing nonsense, but it has definitely made their coats softer. Very happy about that.

If you were looking at adding flavours, we'd be interested in something with seafood (preferably sardines over salmon or tuna, for environmental reasons :confused: ), and i"d be pretty keen to see a roo flavour (certainly would be unique!). For us personally, we wouldn't buy any flavour with beef or chicken ingredients. Just figured I'd mention it because I'm sure some customers out there like BH because it's beef/ chicken/ wheat free, like we do.

According to the ingredients Black Hawk does have chicken fat in it.

i'd like one made from fish as well. but my boy is doing really well on the lamb and rice so i'm pretty happy.

the most important things to me that aren't in it are wheat, corn, beef and beet pulp (tends to make my boy more prone to ear infections, we think).

i too think the emu oil is good for my boy's coat, he seems shinier - though he was also just clipped so that may help!

Guest english.ivy
Black Hawk is fantastic just the way it is - no need for changes, additives or alternative protein sources.

When your on a winner stick with it :rofl:

I agree :rofl:

Hi Everyone

Thank you for all your imput. Dont worry the current Black Hawk Holistic Lamb & Rice formula wont change. Down the track after adding a Lite formula, l thought about adding another meat flavour, and was just interested in what people would prefer when the time comes.

And also thought there maybe other things people might like to see added, in the way of herbs, vitamins minerals etc. Its something l want to think about and research before,

Regards

Sherel

I will say that the people offering hte cat food in Brissie are incredible quick get me a sample and it was a big sample! The Cats loved it...unfortunately their poos really reeked while on it, even if they'd only had a small amount of the kibble :rofl: . I am still considering trialling the dogs on it yet.

We have been feeding the rescue pei the export food for the last few weeks.

Pei are tricky to feed for a few reasons.

1) If the protein level of the food is over 20% we find this can warm their blood and contribute to Shar Pei fever attacks, hence the lamb and rice is 19% - tick

2) Then there are many who come into care with horrible skin conditions. Beef can be a big contributor to this so again the export lamb and rice works well - tick

3) In the three weeks we have been using this, we have witnessed quality moist No 2's. Not dry and

crumbly - tick

4) In the past few days, I have noticed the usually prickly horse coats are getting shinier and softer - tick

From our experience at SHAR PEI Rescue Inc, this food is wonderful. We have always fed the pei quality food, but never seen a physical response like this before. We are delighted with Black Hawk!

I will say that the people offering hte cat food in Brissie are incredible quick get me a sample and it was a big sample! The Cats loved it...unfortunately their poos really reeked while on it, even if they'd only had a small amount of the kibble :laugh: . I am still considering trialling the dogs on it yet.

The dogs were like that for about a month and then it calmed down, although their poos are bigger.

I will say that the people offering hte cat food in Brissie are incredible quick get me a sample and it was a big sample! The Cats loved it...unfortunately their poos really reeked while on it, even if they'd only had a small amount of the kibble :laugh: . I am still considering trialling the dogs on it yet.

The dogs were like that for about a month and then it calmed down, although their poos are bigger.

Interesting, as my dogs' poos are much smaller!

Guest english.ivy
My red one has gone a nice deep russet from an orange :laugh: His itchyness has nearly all stopped, the rest i think is seasonal.. Love this food.

My liver pointer has a lovely deep rep coat now. You don't see it unless he's in the sun but wow he looks stunning while he's in the sunshine!

Can't say I knew a black coat could be that shiny either.

I will say that the people offering hte cat food in Brissie are incredible quick get me a sample and it was a big sample! The Cats loved it...unfortunately their poos really reeked while on it, even if they'd only had a small amount of the kibble :bolt: . I am still considering trialling the dogs on it yet.

Interesting, as my dogs' poos are much smaller!

My Belgian poops small pellets and my Pointers are smaller but bigger than the Belgians but he does eat more than her, being a youngster.

I'm going to trail the cat one soonish.

I still haven't received a sample but since I was running out of food I have ordered the dog food. I will start integrating it in their food tomorrow.