Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

sheena, seeing as you agree with me. What do you feed with your BH? Or do you just feed it on its own?

dol politics does my head in sometimes.

I also wonder what others feed with BH if anything, mine still get RMB at least once a week and chicken wings or necks at least once a week. The raw mine get depends on how much exercise they have and if I think they need a bit extra. If I don't have any bones/chicken available they may get a bit extra BH. Generally on the days they have the raw stuff I will reduce the amount of BH for thier evening meal.

That raises a good point - does BH have a threshold for the ratio of other food which can be fed before it throws out the balanced ratios in the BH (eg protein: fat and calcium:phosphorus)? For example, EP has a 20% threshold.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never even considered that feeding other bits and pieces would be any sort of issue. I never replace whole meals mine always still get a portion of black hawk, mostly a whole portion and the extra is really just extra. Bones for teeth mostly.

Good point.

Mine get raw bones (usually chicken pieces) for breakfast, BH for dinner and a small handful at bedtime, and a raw bone (pork or lamb) on Saturdays as a treat. I also use BH as training treats.

They've been on this regime for a few months now and I'm really happy with their condition, not to mention my budget!

Other premium kibbles might have different qualities but two things none of the others have is value for money, and locally made. I fed EP Holistic for years but I got to the point where I couldn't justify (let alone afford) $130 per bag. Not to mention that it's imported and god only knows how long since it was baked.

I was similar Gayle, I found with the EP where I am, they would go out of stock and it would be weeks before they would get more in. I switched to Nutro which the dogs liked but still quite pricey at $115 a 15 kilo bag. I guess the price and all the great feed back about BH prompted me to try it. One of the things I love about it is how the dogs eat it with gusto more so than any other food, it's nice to see them enjoying thier food.

Guest english.ivy

My two get BH twice a day but I find it hard to just give them a bowl of dry food. So for Ivy I put her raw lamb on top [which is just lamb chunks] and for Badger he gets his cooked chicken [which is minced frames cooked as he can't handle raw chicken] mixed in. Then every two days they get a egg or sardines or something else. Just to make it different for them.

Then they get bones for either lunch on the weekends or afternoon tea. Separate to their BH.

I'm giving my Pointer [12 months old now] a total of about 3 cups a day, give or take a little. Is that too much? He isn't fat, his ribs still show a little but he looks perfectly coated. He also isn't really a bone chewer. He either swallows them or they get stolen by the other dogs. Then if I separate him from the others so it can't get taken he won't eat it.

Ivy gets a total of a cup a day. She's in awesome condition for a two and a half year old.

Mine get all kinds of stuff plus BH. Sardines, chicken frames/wings, beef soup bones, some Natures Gift tinned, meat offcuts, an egg, a range of training treats. They probably get about 80% dry. I use BH in our treat toys (great size to go in treat toys, btw!) and my little one goes nuts for it. She put down a rawhide today to go get some kibble out of her Squirrel Dude :p

My dogs are eating the same amount as they did on our previous food - Royal Canin - I haven't noticed a difference in their look (they both have nice shiny coats), but the poo is much smaller and this is kinder to my wallet and is locally made! :(

Mine all get 2/3 cup of kibble for dinner except Isaak who gets 1 2/3 cup because he is very ribby. My husband thinks they should get more because "they can eat more than that" which I don't think is a very good reason for overfeeding them.

What does everyone use for a cup measure? I have a little plastic cup with measurments on the side, the cup holds 160ml, mine get 1 and 1/4 of that cup each. Cooper is bigger so he gets a bit extra.

I have a friend who was using a coffee cup to feed her lot and the cup held well over 250 mls so effectivley she was giving them 2 feeds in one, she wondered why they were not eating the whole lot.

English Ivy, 3 cups a day sounds like a huge amount especially if he gets other stuff, but i guess it depends on what size cup?

Guest english.ivy
What does everyone use for a cup measure? I have a little plastic cup with measurments on the side, the cup holds 160ml, mine get 1 and 1/4 of that cup each. Cooper is bigger so he gets a bit extra.

I have a friend who was using a coffee cup to feed her lot and the cup held well over 250 mls so effectivley she was giving them 2 feeds in one, she wondered why they were not eating the whole lot.

English Ivy, 3 cups a day sounds like a huge amount especially if he gets other stuff, but i guess it depends on what size cup?

I use one of the plastic measuring cups I got with a bag of ProPlan years ago. Never really measured it, think I will today. Badger is hard to keep weight on but 3 cups does seem like a lot. Might cut back a little and watch how he takes the drop in food.

Black Hawk makes up about a half to two thirds of what I feed Astrid, I also give her my own concoction of lamb, rice and veggies. She gets about 3 cups of the Black Hawk as she's still growing, and that's actual measuring cup cups, same as you're using for flour during baking or whatever.

I have a measuring scoop that holds 1/3 cup. Three dogs get 2 of those, one dog gets 5 of them. Isaak is the only one I have trouble keeping weight on, the others would be porkers if I fed more. I am monitoing Benson though as he's been losing weight and he's about right so might up his intake a bit to maintain it.

i have a measuring cup that measures the standard baking cup amounts. my boy (12kg) gets 1/2 cup per day with either some lean meat from the butchers (3 forkfulls, maybe 50g?) or sardines, or a chicken wing/rmb. he isn't fat, gets 2 walks/day feel his ribs easily etc. nice and fit and muscley. so BH is economical for me!

if i fed my boy a cup/day, not only would he often leave a lot, but he would get pretty porky pretty quickly i imagine...

I don't measure mine, but my boy (a mini schnauzer cross, about 10.5kgs) gets about a cup a day, possibly more! He is very active though (2 x walks from me per day + dog walker which is off leash with a few other dogs) and is very skinny (I can easily feel his ribs and can see the last one or two).

Like people, I think things can vary based on their metabolism etc.

I had some samples of BH sent to me and the dogs seemed to love it incuding the one who is normally very very fussy and refuses dry food. I'm waiting on a few answers from them but think it might be worth trialling them on it for a month or two

Whats with the Canidae posts? Even I think it is odd to come into a thread on a particular brand to try and tout another one :o

Guest english.ivy
I had some samples of BH sent to me and the dogs seemed to love it incuding the one who is normally very very fussy and refuses dry food. I'm waiting on a few answers from them but think it might be worth trialling them on it for a month or two

Whats with the Canidae posts? Even I think it is odd to come into a thread on a particular brand to try and tout another one :o

Look forward to hearing how your dogs go on BH :(

Yeah the canidae posts are a mystery, the two posting about the food seem to have run away!

I had a good look at Badger on our walk today and I don't think I can feed him any less, you can already see his ribs. Probably about three of them. We start tracking tomorrow and I'll ask someone there if they think he's too skinny or he's ok.

Guest english.ivy
Is there any retail outlets that stock this? The website for the WA stockist is down and I find that the hassle of tracking down a supplier and going to pick it up negates possible cost benefits.

No there isn't. Just one lady who lives near the Canine Assoc. I can give you her number if you like? She is often at the Canine Assoc.

The quality of the food out ways the effort I go to get it. I live past Joondalup and I still buy it :o

Is there any retail outlets that stock this? The website for the WA stockist is down and I find that the hassle of tracking down a supplier and going to pick it up negates possible cost benefits.

No there isn't. Just one lady who lives near the Canine Assoc. I can give you her number if you like? She is often at the Canine Assoc.

The quality of the food out ways the effort I go to get it. I live past Joondalup and I still buy it :o

Not a huge fan of talking on the phone out of work after doing it all day. Kibble makes up such a tiny portion of my boys diet it seems like a bit of effort, especially since I only have the one dog who would be lucky to get 3 cups of kibble a week. :(