Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The most exercise Shelley and Rascal do in a day is 2 hours, Shelley is runing and swimming, Rascal is walking either infront or beside me. The min exercise they do really depending how busy I am is 40 minutes, That exercise is offlead runing, I also get Shelley jumping over things, She loves to jump up the platforms and go down the slide at the childrens playground.

I can understand the size of the kibble also counts,They were feed bonnie adult before the BH and bonnie is a bigger size kibble. last nights and tonights dinner Shelley only got 1 1/4 cup of food. Rascal my chihuahua only gets enough to fill the bottom of his bowl. I may need to cut Rascals food down a bit, Rascal is a werid dog if I don't walk him he won't eat, take him for a walk and he will eat. I guess I will know tommorrow if they have lost weight or not. Rascal goes in tommorrow to get his sitches taken out so I'll be taking Shelley in too and weigh them both.

The most exercise Shelley and Rascal do in a day is 2 hours, Shelley is runing and swimming, Rascal is walking either infront or beside me. The min exercise they do really depending how busy I am is 40 minutes, That exercise is offlead runing, I also get Shelley jumping over things, She loves to jump up the platforms and go down the slide at the childrens playground.

I can understand the size of the kibble also counts,They were feed bonnie adult before the BH and bonnie is a bigger size kibble. last nights and tonights dinner Shelley only got 1 1/4 cup of food. Rascal my chihuahua only gets enough to fill the bottom of his bowl. I may need to cut Rascals food down a bit, Rascal is a werid dog if I don't walk him he won't eat, take him for a walk and he will eat. I guess I will know tommorrow if they have lost weight or not. Rascal goes in tommorrow to get his sitches taken out so I'll be taking Shelley in too and weigh them both.

Don't jump Shelley too high unless she has been taught to jump properly, you might do damage to her joints otherwise. I wouldn't jump her ANY higher than 40cm if she has had no training

Don't give her any more than the 1 1/4 cup of food, let her drop a bit of weight, and if need be you can up it by a little bit. Lexi gets about 1 1/2 - 2 cups a day, but she is still filling out and is still a pup, I can easily feel her ribs although she is losing her waist, so I might have to lower her a bit

I don't jump her to high, I have trained her myself but the things she jumps aren't that high off the ground. She knows the commands up,down and the command over. I can't believe how hard it is to get Shelley and Rascal to lose weight. I blame myself for letting them get that way. I'm joining the dogs with weightloss too so there not alone. Shelley seemed really tired after our 2 hour walk today is that normal? She was runing around alot and swimming more so then she ever did.

Consider getting her a back pack, you don't need to put very much weight in it at all, but it helps to tire them on a shorter walk, and helps to build up muscle tone and fitness. Ive been following K9-Pro's journey with Busta the Golden Retriever (Goldie that bit his owners) and he was putting just 300g in each side at first

I would not be jumping or putting a back pack on an overweight dog. You're adding more stress to already overloaded joints.

If Shelley is getting plenty of exercise the only other option is to cut her food back. Cut it back hard. You've been talking about getting weight off her for some time now .. time to get serious.

Trust me I am serious but the problem is I'm afraid if I give her not enough food she won't have enough energy. Shelley is a very hungry gutted dog, If she doesn't get enough to eat she will eat poo,dirt,grass anything she can get ahold of. Which is why I've been cutting back slowly on the food so her body gets use to the smaller amounts. For the past 2 meals she is only getting 1 1/4 cup of BH.

Trust me I am serious but the problem is I'm afraid if I give her not enough food she won't have enough energy. Shelley is a very hungry gutted dog, If she doesn't get enough to eat she will eat poo,dirt,grass anything she can get ahold of. Which is why I've been cutting back slowly on the food so her body gets use to the smaller amounts. For the past 2 meals she is only getting 1 1/4 cup of BH.

Shelly has plenty of energy - stored as fat. If hunger is an issue then, as previously advised, you need to bulk out the meal with veggies.

Edited by poodlefan

Do any of you guys have dogs that are hard to keep weight on? how do they go on 100% BH? My Golden is a lean machine, and last time I tried to put her on a full adult formula she lost a load of weight regardless of how much I fed her

I have one of those, he has an extremely quick metabolism and it doesn't help that he only has two speeds. Asleep or flat out running! He has been on BH for 2 weeks now and looks great, if not a bit tubby for a sporting dog so am slowly cutting back till I get to the perfect quantity. The only dry food he could have eaten before now was Advance Active anything else and he looked like a skeleton!

Shelly has plenty of energy - stored as fat. If hunger is an issue then, as previously advised, you need to bulk out the meal with veggies.

I've read on here that mashed pumpkin is a very good subsitute as it is very filling but not fattening.

Could someone please post the details of the email, or phone number to try a sample of Black Hawk.

I now have 5 dogs due to inheriting my Mum's dogs, and I am looking for a good option for feeding them all.

Sorry I can't find the details, although I did see them while reading the thread, but I am having trouble finding the search function on the new forum layout.

Thanks in advance. :)

By going by the before pictures to today pictures I don't think Shelley has lost any weight, To me I think she has gained weight.

I agree. She's lost her waist. Halve her food. Seriously.

I am successfully helping a very overweight labrador lose weight on blackhawk. He gets about 1/2 a cup in the mornings, and either a lamb flap or 2/3 cup in the evenings. He's now 35kg, down from 54!!

My 36kg dog gets 1.5 cups of BH a day. He isn't overweight but could probably stand to lose about a kilo. He gets a long on leash walk each day but is quite lazy in general.

My 18kg dog gets 1 cup of BH a day. She is very active and lean. She gets a long leash walk plus training each day plus we do obedience and agility. Plus an off leash stint at the dog park a few times a week.

Anything else is subtracted from that amount, so if they get a Kong each in the morning they lose half a cup of BH at dinner. My little one is a garbage disposal unit and acts like she hasn't been fed in weeks no matter how much food she gets. The other day at training one of my friends put her treat bag on the ground and turned her back for a second and Ava devoured the whole lot faster than you could say "vacuum cleaner" :eek::rofl::o As mentioned, veggies help fill them up.

Edit: About to move onto our third 20kg bag and am loving the food.

Edited by wuffles

Guest english.ivy

The weight managment range is available now, it has less fat and less protien. I am trying it for my two chunky pups, I pick it up next weekend.

Is this the same price and same ingredients?

The price is the same, the ingredients I am not sure will be mostly the same but the fat and protien content are less, I haven't actually got it yet so can't check the bag for details. The main reason I want to try it is I don't think I could give my two tubbies less as they are getting minimal now so I am hoping that with less fat content might be the difference between losing a few pounds and not. I already add veg to thier food and feel that if I add less dry they are not going to be getting what they need in terms of goodness.

Guest english.ivy

The price is the same, the ingredients I am not sure will be mostly the same but the fat and protien content are less, I haven't actually got it yet so can't check the bag for details. The main reason I want to try it is I don't think I could give my two tubbies less as they are getting minimal now so I am hoping that with less fat content might be the difference between losing a few pounds and not. I already add veg to thier food and feel that if I add less dry they are not going to be getting what they need in terms of goodness.

Completely understand :) Keep us updated!