Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

mumtoshelley I would chill out about it a bit. 1kg in a fortnight is a great weight loss, I wouldn't do it any faster than that for a dog. Be careful not to compare her to a human, it's better if she gets to her goal weight over 6 months rather than as fast as possible. :)

If she is doing lots of exercise then I think 1.5 cups of BH is ok but cutting it further is getting extreme.

Also just be careful if you are dramatically upping her exercise- she needs to slowly build muscle or the cruciates will be the first thing be strained!

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mumtoshelley I would chill out about it a bit. 1kg in a fortnight is a great weight loss, I wouldn't do it any faster than that for a dog. Be careful not to compare her to a human, it's better if she gets to her goal weight over 6 months rather than as fast as possible. :)

If she is doing lots of exercise then I think 1.5 cups of BH is ok but cutting it further is getting extreme.

Also just be careful if you are dramatically upping her exercise- she needs to slowly build muscle or the cruciates will be the first thing be strained!

I couldn't have said it better...in fact I've tried lol, glad to see someone agreeing with me

MTS you need to remember that dogs aren't people, its great that you're trying to make all 3 of you healthier, but don't make the dogs lose weight too quickly, and remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if the dogs are building up muscle tone as their losing weight, the numbers on the scales aren't going to mean much

What you need to do is feel the dogs, can you feel their ribs easily? if not, then yes they still have weight to lose, but once you can easily feel them, then they're nearly there

Hi everyone, stalking this thread... I have just ordered a sample of Black Hawk, I assume most people are using the adult BH, does anyone have experiences with / advice about the puppy formula? My pup is almost six months and have been feeding Advance large breed puppy, was previously on Eukanuba Growth (pup is a staffy x rescue, weren't sure how big he was going to get, now it looks like he's headed north of 20kg...). Any experiences with the puppy formula, or should I just go the adult and up the amount he is getting? :)

Thanks in advance for advice. I normally get away with reading everyone else's posts as inevitably others ask the question I wanted to, but no one has specifically mentioned the puppy formula (though I could have missed it in 40 plus pages of the thread! :laugh: )

Guest english.ivy

Hi everyone, stalking this thread... I have just ordered a sample of Black Hawk, I assume most people are using the adult BH, does anyone have experiences with / advice about the puppy formula? My pup is almost six months and have been feeding Advance large breed puppy, was previously on Eukanuba Growth (pup is a staffy x rescue, weren't sure how big he was going to get, now it looks like he's headed north of 20kg...). Any experiences with the puppy formula, or should I just go the adult and up the amount he is getting? :)

Thanks in advance for advice. I normally get away with reading everyone else's posts as inevitably others ask the question I wanted to, but no one has specifically mentioned the puppy formula (though I could have missed it in 40 plus pages of the thread! :laugh: )

My Pointer pup went to the adult formula [from another brand puppy dry] at about six months old and I just fed him twice the amount and judged how much he needed to keep weight after a week or so. So I would just go straight to the adult one and feed him more :)

I put my BC pup onto the adult formula when I got him at 10 weeks. He absolutely loves it & is growing nicely & looking great with plenty of energy. I am just going by the weight chart on the bag, which also says that for puppies up to 6 months you double the rate.

Thanks for the recommendations all who replied, much appreciated. I might just go with the adult, if keeping weight is a problem I'll go back to the puppy. I was only going to get the 3kg bag to start with anyway so that should be a good trial. Haven't heard back from the nsw supplier about a sample as yet but hopefully soon, only emailed yesterday. Keen to change over before I have to buy another bag, BH seems too good to be true, cheaper and better!

Thanks again everyone :thumbsup:

My youngest dog went onto BH at about 8 months.......he is doing realy well on it, looks fabulous and is nice and lean. He's 14 months old now. I feed him twice as much as the adult dogs, he's much more active than they are.

Hi all. I have my 18 week old lab on RC, does anyone have experience with this brand. She seems to be doing well, but then again I don't know any better and blackhawk seems to be getting great reviews!!! I'm in Perth, does anyone know who I could contact to get a sample?

Hi all. I have my 18 week old lab on RC, does anyone have experience with this brand. She seems to be doing well, but then again I don't know any better and blackhawk seems to be getting great reviews!!! I'm in Perth, does anyone know who I could contact to get a sample?

Lots of folk feed Royal Canin. I'm one of them. No reason why you shouldn't try Black hawk but nothing wrong with what you're feeding now IMO.

Hi Olivebaby, my two were on RC before switching to Black Hawk. I was very happy with RC but thought I'd try BH because it's Australian made and saves me money. I think both are great kibbles.

Ok well that's good to know. I'm not too fussed with the price as she is my only child heehee and I don't mind spending the money on good food! But if they are much a muchness I might just keep her on RC as it's obviously a lot easier to get! Thanks for the advice guys :-)

Guest english.ivy

Wendy - [email protected]

I'm in Perth and have been feeding BH since last year.