Slow Release Fertaliser

Vader's mum

I have been having a discussion with my land lady who wants me to put some on our lawn but I dont want to as I dont think its safe to use, am i right or wrong? She gave me one it has nothing on pets on it alot dont I have been looking at. Thoughts and advice if there is an alternatice would be appreciated :0

Until you make a decision about whether or not to use the fertiliser, do make sure the dogs can't get to the fertiliser bag, put it in a cupboard up high. You never know what dogs will eat given half a chance.

I don't like putting anything on the lawn that sits on the surface, to me, slow release means it could be laying on the surface for a while. That goes for blood and bone, pellitised chicken poo and everything else. The scenario I'd worry about is a dog leaving it's chewed bone on the lawn, and getting some fertiliser stuck to it. So far, I've used a spray on seaweed mix, it is a soil conditioner rather than a fertiliser, I think it has carp or something else in it. At least I can hose it in well, so there's nothing left on the grass leaves, and nothing for a dog to lick up.

I have been having a discussion with my land lady who wants me to put some on our lawn but I dont want to as I dont think its safe to use, am i right or wrong? She gave me one it has nothing on pets on it alot dont I have been looking at. Thoughts and advice if there is an alternatice would be appreciated :0

if I were you I wouldn't have a second thought about it. Especially if your dogs can get to it. seasol mixed with water I,ve had no trouble with. :p

It's a brunnings brand I shot off an email today as I am too busy during "office hours" so waiting to hear back. I brought seasol for lawn but she's not happy about that i askedh her if she'd like to pay for my vet bills and I got told I was been dramatic. So WHAT thats my baby would you put poison where yours eats and plays umm no!

I decided I wont use I'n not a fan of anything thats not organic, if she wants to use she can when weve moved out she mentioned maybe we would put top soil on instead, hello are we made of $ and it's a bloody rental! ugh the lawn look good a little browm but we are on restrictions everones does.

Thanks for the link persephone and whippetsmum its in the garage in a cupboard he has bo way of accessing it what so ever.

Thanks all

Brunnings have a warning on their "Green Up" Lawn Food.

WARNING - Use of this product may result in cadmium and mercury residues in excess of the maximum permissible concentration (MPC) in plant and animal products and may also result in accumulation of these residues in soils.

I have used the Brunnings "Green Up" Lawn Food in the past.

I have had cause to test my dog for presence of heavy metals (urine test). It showed positive for mercury. I do not know if there is any direct correlation between the two occurrences. I cannot think how he could have incurred mercury toxins.

I have detoxed my dog and he has shown clear of the mercury. I need to run another test. If it shows up positive then I can only assume he is in contact with something from which he continues to absorb the mercury. That will then involve soil tests.

But again - I wish to make it patently clear that I have no evidence whatsoever that the product and the test result on my dog have any correlation to each other at all. I believe that once heavy metals are absorbed they stay in the body unless detoxified.

If it is at all possible that the absorption of mercury is from the soil, I believe that it is not necessarily about my dog eating the mercury inclusive substance - it could be from eating the grass that grows from it; absorption through skin; etc.

Edited by Erny

If your lawn is already brown fertilizer won't help. Use the seasol for lawns as you said its a tonic and will make the root system of of the grass stronger and as someone else said its fine with the dogs as long as you hose it in. Which is difficult if you are on restrictions.

Brown lawn is usually because it is dry :grouphug: Putting fertiliser on can actually make things worse, as most fertiliser is made up of mineral salts .AFAIK.

Agree - don't fertilize something that is not well. It needs tonic rather than fertiliser and therefore seasol would be a good and better thing.

she mentioned maybe we would put top soil on instead, hello are we made of $ and it's a bloody rental!

Off topic but it's her lawn - she should be forking out the $$ to topdress it if she wants that done, not you!

I'm also hesitant to use fertilizer on my lawn with the dogs, but I do use Seasol :laugh:

she mentioned maybe we would put top soil on instead, hello are we made of $ and it's a bloody rental!

Off topic but it's her lawn - she should be forking out the $$ to topdress it if she wants that done, not you!

That is what I said! she seems to think that it's in the lease, which I pulled out the other night not a single thing mentioned nut job! anyway seasol it is.

That is what I said! she seems to think that it's in the lease, which I pulled out the other night not a single thing mentioned nut job! anyway seasol it is.

It's possibly in the lease that you are to care for the garden/lawn, but I don't think topdressing the lawn should fall under that category. I've been a landlord, and wouldn't dream of asking the tenant to do that (well, at least not pay for it!). Anyway, going off topic now :rofl: Which reminds me, I need to Seasol my lawn, a job for the weekend :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar