Toxic Effects From Sultanas

mackenzie11

how long does it take for the toxins from sultanas to take effect once a dog has eaten them,

my mollie - who is 20 weeks old this week, got her paws on a box, 42gm, of pineapple & sultana mix this morning, my cat knocked the box of the cupboard and mollie proceded to eat them, i was out at the time and came home to find her scoffing into them, she did not eat the whole box - though if i had not got home when i did she would have, there was about 1/4 box left,

rang the vet and he told me that the main concern is with the seeded variety of sultana (never knew you could get seeded sultanas) which this was not, and to watch her for the next 24 hours and bring her in if she starts vomiting, dihoreah, lethargic, tummy pains, yellowing of eyes ect, off food

she ate lunch well and done a good poop, about 1 hour after eating sultanas, not lethargic, had dinner then straight away really soft poop followed by solid poop with sultanas in it - YUCK, she seems ok in herself, i am just worried that through the night she is going to start to be affected by them

if anyone has dealt with this any advice would be great

thanx

My understanding is that its any type of grape/sultana/raisin. Also, I believe the they cause kidney damage, so you may not see clinical signs until the kidneys have been sufficiently damaged.

Just did a quick search and found fatalities at doses from 10-57g/kg, so if this is so, I'd assume 42g (which not all was sultanas) shouldn't cause too much trouble.

I've never dealt with a case, so someone else might be able to provide more info.

I have only recently found out that sultanas and grapes were toxic to dogs. I was told about it at puppy preschool which i was attending with my ridgie pup. I was surprised as my 2 older ridgies used to regularly "clean up" after my kids when they spilt sultanas all over the house, with no ill effect. Needless to say since being told about the toxicity of sultanas I have now become super vigilant, forever reminding my 2 1/2 yr old and 5 yr old not to feed the dogs or spill their sultanas on the floor and fishing the odd soggy sultana out of my 5 month old ridgies mouth. LOL

Clinical effects usually become apparent within 6 hours

of ingestion, and always within 24 hours. Early signs

are vomiting (in almost all cases), diarrhoea, anorexia,

abdominal tenderness and lethargy. Ingesta may be

present in the vomitus or faeces. Polydipsia may also

be apparent. Evidence of renal impairment,

characterised by elevated urea and creatinine, with

accompanying oliguria or anuria, is usually apparent

by 24 hours.

Best treatment plan:Aggressive IV fluid therapy for at least 48 hours

for rehydration and support of renal function

* Monitor renal function and electrolytes for at

least 72 hours post-ingestion

* Monitor for signs of fluid overload and, if

possible, monitor central venous pressure

*Where necessary use of furosemide or mannitol

may be considered to re-establish urine output

* Dosage for furosemide 5 mg/kg IV initially

followed by IV infusion of 5 mg/kg/hour

* Dosage for mannitol 0.25-0.5 g/kg IV over 5-

10 minutes

* Note that the efficacy of these therapies

remains unproven and that there is evidence

that tubular necrosis and or renal tubule

obstruction may prevent urine flow

* Dopamine may be used to enhance renal

perfusion - dosage 1-3 mcg/kg per minute as

constant IV infusion

Edited by BellaDonna

Clinical effects usually become apparent within 6 hours

of ingestion, and always within 24 hours. Early signs

are vomiting (in almost all cases), diarrhoea, anorexia,

abdominal tenderness and lethargy. Ingesta may be

present in the vomitus or faeces. Polydipsia may also

be apparent. Evidence of renal impairment,

characterised by elevated urea and creatinine, with

accompanying oliguria or anuria, is usually apparent

by 24 hours.

Best treatment plan:Aggressive IV fluid therapy for at least 48 hours

for rehydration and support of renal function

* Monitor renal function and electrolytes for at

least 72 hours post-ingestion

* Monitor for signs of fluid overload and, if

possible, monitor central venous pressure

*Where necessary use of furosemide or mannitol

may be considered to re-establish urine output

* Dosage for furosemide 5 mg/kg IV initially

followed by IV infusion of 5 mg/kg/hour

* Dosage for mannitol 0.25-0.5 g/kg IV over 5-

10 minutes

* Note that the efficacy of these therapies

remains unproven and that there is evidence

that tubular necrosis and or renal tubule

obstruction may prevent urine flow

* Dopamine may be used to enhance renal

perfusion - dosage 1-3 mcg/kg per minute as

constant IV infusion

thankfully, today she is fine :rofl: , she was a bit quieter than usual yesterday, but don't know if it was related to the eating of the sultanas or not, thanks for the info it will come in handy for future reference, i knew they were toxic but just did not know how long to take effect

you might have been lucky :D

yeah hope so, i am still keeping a very close eye on her as she is only a puppy, she is such a guts, she eats everything she can get. i did not realise that i had left this packet on the bench and my cat knocked it off,

Don;t blame yourself. There is a reason these things are called ACCIDENTS

You are obviously watching her closely.

you are through the danger period now, so you can probably start to relax a little.

I am watching my dog very closely right now because she ate her bed :rofl:

Don;t blame yourself. There is a reason these things are called ACCIDENTS

You are obviously watching her closely.

you are through the danger period now, so you can probably start to relax a little.

I am watching my dog very closely right now because she ate her bed :confused:

yeah i know,but i still feel bad,

your poor dog i hope she is ok after eating her bed, not good at all

I have a pinot noir vineyard. My dogs munch grapes until their mouths turn purple and their poohs have little round contours all over the place. I've never heard any of the vineyard people I know have trouble with their dogs eating grapes. Billinghurst, in Give Your Dog A Bone, gives recipes for healthy dog diet that include raisons.

I'm sure that raisons and/or grapes are toxic to a few dogs, just as some people can't take peanuts.

Most dogs seem to do just fine eating grapes and/or raisons.

I have a pinot noir vineyard. My dogs munch grapes until their mouths turn purple and their poohs have little round contours all over the place. I've never heard any of the vineyard people I know have trouble with their dogs eating grapes. Billinghurst, in Give Your Dog A Bone, gives recipes for healthy dog diet that include raisons.

I'm sure that raisons and/or grapes are toxic to a few dogs, just as some people can't take peanuts.

Most dogs seem to do just fine eating grapes and/or raisons.

that maybe it, she is ok and no lasting effects, had blood tests done on her kidney's & liver yesterday and all clear,

Originally thought to be an urban legend, it is now known that raisins and grapes are indeed toxic to dogs. The type of grape and the type of dog doesn't seem to matter, and the toxic amount may be a small serving to several ounces.

A computerized animal toxicity database helped veterinarians see a trend in 1989, noticing that in some cases of acute renal failure (sudden kidney failure) dogs shared a common history: the consumption of raisins or grapes just prior to the kidney failure. The type of grape or raisin doesn't seem to matter, and the amount consumed may be a single serving of raisins or a pound or more of grapes. (Raisins are much more concentrated.) Researchers are exploring the possibilities: a mycotoxin (fungal toxin), pesticide, herbicide or heavy metals, but thus far the actual toxin is unknown at this time.