5 Month Old Golden Retriever, How Much Food?

thomo84

Hello Everyone,

Our Golden Retriever puppy is 5 months old and we are wondering how much food we should feed him now? the cans say 2 cans of wet puppy food per day.

We feed him 3 weetbix in the morning and sometimes we give him a bone.

Thanks

I'd follow the advice of his breeder. I'd also stop feeding him weetbix. Put him onto a decent dry food (that you can afford), it is better for him than weetbix and tinned wet food. You can even give him chicken frames or necks for breakfast instead or nice meaty bones. Also do a search on here for BARF.

Edited by Bundy's Mum

I know alot of people feed weetbix to pups and its ok but he is old enough now to stop :laugh: I would get him on BARF, raw food is THE best IMO.

DO a search and some googleing then i can have a chat with u at Kepala if u like?? I love doggy food talk its a real passion of mine... Otherwise i would say try artemis or eagle pack holistic dry or butro are my top picks for a dry based diet - and of course always add bones for a 5 months old i think start with chicken wings as being a golden necks will dissapear in seconds lol Then if he takes well to them and im sure he will move up to chicken frams and lamb flaps (occasionally as they are high in fat and no body likes a fat golden!)

Good luck ;)

Like everyone else suggests re:what food. As far as how much, just read your dog and adjust according to their daily activities.

Quinn ate like nothing I've ever seen the first couple of months I had her, and ravenous. She ate more than all the other adult dogs, without it she'd look all stringy and thin in a day or two. Now she's 5 months and has reduced greatly what she eats. She has a meat leftovers/vegies/rice mix in the morning about 5 days a week and good kibble the other 2 days, in the evenings she gets raw with the other dogs. Just on raw and kibble she was doing soft poo's and farting up a storm, this seems to work well for her.

The best dry food you can afford and some lovely bones. We gave ours chicken frames and eagle pack for large breed puppies daily.

If you are interested a BARF diet is great, and you can do heaps of research on here.

But weetbix and canned food are crap for a 5 month old and it is time to feed your gorgeous goldie food to build her up as she grows. any pictures?

I love golides :thumbsup:

he's way too old to be eating slop. He needs either a decent dry food and some good raw meaty bones or follow a BARF diet. Either way canned food and weet bix add nothing really nutritionally

Ditto. Your puppy is in a crucial growth phase and needs good quality food. BARF is great, but if you don't have time to research it thoroughly, perhaps start with a decent dry food, and definitely a few bones