What Floor Coverings Do You Have?

sallyandtex

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

floorboards with non-slip mats all over because my old boy can't handle the boards.

every day... ... hah hahh haa ... falls off chair.

I have a hall runner mainly to mute the sound of dog stomping at night.

My old girl was incontinent so the runner was a cheapy and the boards easy to clean.

We have recently moved back into our fully renovated home and we opted to put tiles throughout the bottom floor, including our bedroom and carpet upstairs. The dogs choose not to go up there because we are mainly downstairs anyway. We do have rugs down and they can lie on them if they choose, but they do have their own beds. I have lived with them on carpet and polished boards and would not do so again.

We have recently moved back into our fully renovated home and we opted to put tiles throughout the bottom floor, including our bedroom and carpet upstairs. The dogs choose not to go up there because we are mainly downstairs anyway. We do have rugs down and they can lie on them if they choose, but they do have their own beds. I have lived with them on carpet and polished boards and would not do so again.

Was the slipping the main reason for not wanting the floorboards?

I have floating timber floors. They are covered in scratches from the dogs!

If I could choose I would have non slip tiles or slate. We had slate in another house and it never looked dirty it was wonderful!

I must say that I do love the fact that the floors are easy to vacuum/sweep up dog hair, so that is a plus.

Tiles and a few large carpet mats ie the lounge area is covered with a large mat.

My dogs are not allowed to run around in the house so slipping isn't an issue.

Very easy to clean. BUt mine don't drop much hair anyway and we have a towel near the door for muddy feet.

if your carpet is looking worst for wear it needs a wash. The oils, hair and dander from the animals clogs it up. I borrowed the carpet washing machines from the supermarket and did my carpets in the last rental every 3 months. I had 3 dogs and a cat in the house, the carpet was marvelous and fresh

if you have a vacuum cleaner get one with a good rotating brush on it. Give it a good vacuum a few times a week at least once a week with the brush which fluffs up the pile and gets the hair off. I have an ancient massive electrolux one with a power head, it's about 20 years old but has worked a treat every time. Massive big brush that fluffs the carpet and rags making them look great

you can have pets and carpet, just takes a little more work :grouphug:

Tiles in the main living areas (at least, I have the tiles in the lounge thus far - still renovating). I'd always wanted floorboards until we stayed somewhere with them and all I heard was tap tap tap tap tap tap tap of doggy feet. Very irritating, so tiles it is. Carpet in the bedrooms.

Stained hard wood floors and tiles. Our wood floors have scratches but not from the dogs, they are from me and my brothers wrecking them as kids and also from moving furniture. The dogs nails don't make a mark on them :grouphug:

ETA: got it wrong, we have stained floors not polished.

Edited by Mim

We have a mix of lino, tile, polished and unpolished floorboards. Well the polished stuff was pretty well worn when we moved in, its a great house for us. Doesn't look "pretty" so you don't notice the mess. We have a large rug on the loungeroom floor.

I sweep the tile daily as it leads to the computer room and in the mornings I leave the door open for the dogs and they track leaves and dirt in. The lino/floor I probably do 2-3 times a week and the carpet gets vacuumed once or twice a week. Lounge is done at the same time. I try to wash my bedding 2-3 times a week and bath the dogs atleast 1-3 times a months.

Edited by busterlove