Rare Or Disqualifed Colours In Breeds.

poodlefan

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a dog that regularly stays at my work- He doesn't look quite like a long haired rotty - he's almost wire haired!!!! We always assumed he was a cross especially when he was a pup however the owner assured he is pure (haven't seen the papers though!). He most definitely looks like a Rotty in structure and everything else now that he's fully grown, but just has the wiry coat!

What do you guys think?

d6bd2c42.jpg

d4e49e7c.jpg

be1ebdba.jpg

His whole coat has the same wiry wispiness to it - but not thick and heavy like the LH rotty posted earlier.

Love this thread!!

OMG - that is one ugly little poodle!

Hopefully this will make your eyes feel better.

18128059_1.jpg

Oooooohhhhh I LOVE this! Sooo gorgeous :confused::cheer:

Also love the mismarked labs, they're stunning. So many of these dogs are just gorgeous, I would love to see more of them around.

I always think having colour requirements in the standard is a pity unless it causes heath problems. Otherwise I wish all colours were accepted. It seems such a shame that healthy dogs are put down because their colour doesn't fit the standard.

Do healthy dogs really get put down because of colour? Why can't they just be pet homed? That's so sad... unless there are serious health issues of course.

The fluffy Pei looks like a Chow. :confused:

I have met a long haired Mastiff - she was about 80kg and really fluffy! LOL! Very cool dog. She was pedigree with papers, apparently they just pop up every now and then. :cheer:

I own a fawnequin Great Dane (although I think she is actually a fawn merle with white, not fawn harlequin). She is also from a (dodgy) reg'd breeder.

P1080043.jpg

P1080040.jpg

As a sad puppy:

PA270658.jpg

My Dad has photos of his Silver and Black German Shepherd. Is that possible?

Loving the panda marked German Shepherds.

Could be a Sable,

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=42931

Bekki is considered a wolf grey sable or silver sable

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=40103

Tripp is also a sable but you can see the difference in colour between the two

I have two unusual coloured greyhounds. Woody is solid Dun, and Coconut is White and Dun Brindle.

Only around one in every three thousand greyhounds born is dun, and it is an allowable colour.

Dun isn't so much a colour, but a gene that turns black hair into brown, similar to the dilution gene that gives you a blue dog, but different. I suspect that Woody also might have that dilution gene as well as the Dun gene, as he is such a washed out colour.

Coco's brown markings are a rich chocolate brindle stripe over fawn. She is mostly white with brown ticking. Her nose is a plum brown sort of colour. Woody is a dusky taupe, with a slightly darker nose. Both have brown lips, and no black pigment. His coat is a bit like a weim and a bit like a brown kelpie.

I have been meaning to ask about your Greys Greytmate, they are stunning :confused:.

My contribution is dapple Daschunds.....

post-2703-1288790849_thumb.jpg

My Dad has photos of his Silver and Black German Shepherd. Is that possible?

Loving the panda marked German Shepherds.

Could be a Sable,

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=42931

Bekki is considered a wolf grey sable or silver sable

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=40103

Tripp is also a sable but you can see the difference in colour between the two

Thankyou. In this photo, his colouring looks as if he's a very dark husky but Dad has assured me he was pure.

Do you know of any silver coloured GSDs overseas perhaps?

This is a dog that regularly stays at my work- He doesn't look quite like a long haired rotty - he's almost wire haired!!!! We always assumed he was a cross especially when he was a pup however the owner assured he is pure (haven't seen the papers though!). He most definitely looks like a Rotty in structure and everything else now that he's fully grown, but just has the wiry coat!

What do you guys think?

d6bd2c42.jpg

d4e49e7c.jpg

be1ebdba.jpg

His whole coat has the same wiry wispiness to it - but not thick and heavy like the LH rotty posted earlier.

Love this thread!!

He could be, a breeder in town has breed some rottis that have wirey beards, they look very odd, maybe he come from down here

Wonder if there is a mis-marked Belgian Shepherd anywhere ..

You can get black malinois. :confused:

I've also seen photos of working malinois with "too much white", i.e. white all over the chest. And my dog's litter brother (malinois) was born with one white sock. I guess maybe those are mismarks, if you're interested in showing? Doesn't really matter for a working dog, though.

Eta, and you can get blue (dilute) malinois.

Edited by Staranais

Do healthy dogs really get put down because of colour? Why can't they just be pet homed? That's so sad... unless there are serious health issues of course.

They used to be. I don't know any breeders who do it these days but I think it happens less often at least.

ETA: No responsible breeder aims to produce dogs outside the accepted colours but they do crop up from time to time for a lot of folk.

Phantom (terrier marked) poodles aren't that unusual.

Edited by poodlefan

They used to be. I don't know any breeders who it these days but I think it happens less often at least.

I wouldn't think twice to make sure a black and tan, liver, blue or fawn doesn't make it past the first few hours. I'd be taking a serious look at how they've come about and making sure I take measure to prevent them popping up again.