Rare Or Disqualifed Colours In Breeds.

poodlefan

Do healthy dogs really get put down because of colour? Why can't they just be pet homed? That's so sad... unless there are serious health issues of course.

They used to be. I don't know any breeders who it these days but I think it happens less often at least.

I wouldn't think twice to make sure a black and tan, liver, blue or fawn doesn't make it past the first few hours. I'd be taking a serious look at how they've come about and making sure I take measure to prevent them popping up again.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you desex and pet-home? Assuming the pups are healthy of course.

Because to let them out into the hands of the averge Joe, serves only to encourage the breeding of them. There are people who already think that black and tans for example are the best thing since sliced bread and can't wait to get one.

Excitement over a breed fault, colour or otherwise should not be encouraged.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a second! Blue staffies are a fault in the breed?! Sheesh! Shows how much I know...but...

ReadySetGo as proof of your point about the general public desiring the incorrect colours, I have so many acquaintances who have/desire/want blue coloured staffies is amazing, and validating your (logical and correct - imo) reasoning.

ETA: And more than happy (and even EXPECT) to pay atleast $3k for a blue pup...

Edited by Tatelina

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about blue staffies for exhibitors......

I'm sure many stafford exhibitors have witnessed some poor naive person take their blue in the ring.

Are judges quite knowledgeable that it is not correct in the standard? Will a judge generally dismiss a blue, place them last in a class or non-award?

I'm sure many stafford exhibitors have witnessed some poor naive person take their blue in the ring.

Are judges quite knowledgeable that it is not correct in the standard? Will a judge generally dismiss a blue, place them last in a class or non-award?

I hope that they don't put a sound blue last automatically if there is a dog in there with crap legs or some other structure problem.

As much as some people don't like the colour blue, it is accepted in the breed standard. Problem as I've seen it, is that there aren't many GOOD examples of the breed in that particular colour, e.g. light pigmentation in the eyes, etc....

I hope a Sibe person posts up some of the more unusual sibe colourations - some very nice ones.

You should have given me a nudge PF. I only just found this thread :laugh:

Taxi - an Agouti

DSC_0625.jpg

Roary - an Agouti Piebald

DSC_0642.jpgDSC_0465.jpg

Jonty - a White & Grey Piebald

Jonty-1-Undera-07.jpg

Stig - a Sable & White Splash Coat

DSC00311.jpg

The result of mating an Agouti bitch to a Grey & White Piebald (Jonty) - Two White/Black Piebalds, two Wolf Grey's, one Sable/White Splash Coat and one Agouti Piebald (who is Roary :laugh: )

DSCN1687.jpg

As much as some people don't like the colour blue, it is accepted in the breed standard. Problem as I've seen it, is that there aren't many GOOD examples of the breed in that particular colour, e.g. light pigmentation in the eyes, etc....

I still don't understand how it can be an accepted colour when genetically they can never meet the breed standard - please someone correct me if I am wrong here (I am no breeder or geneticist). Doesn't the diluted black gene make it impossible (or at least very unlikely) that they will ever have a black nose? (which is standard).

I still don't understand how it can be an accepted colour when genetically they can never meet the breed standard - please someone correct me if I am wrong here (I am no breeder or geneticist). Doesn't the diluted black gene make it impossible (or at least very unlikely) that they will ever have a black nose? (which is standard).

You're not alone, I don't understand that part either, eye colour is PREFERRED to be dark, but CAN bear some relation to coat colour, and yes nose black, but blue IS included in the breed standard nontheless. Perhaps it's a question for the breed club?

There are blue staffords with 'good' pigmentation, i.e darker noses, eyes etc, but you're right, they're certainly not black black. Good question ... food for thought...

You're not alone, I don't understand that part either, eye colour is PREFERRED to be dark, but CAN bear some relation to coat colour, and yes nose black, but blue IS included in the breed standard nontheless. Perhaps it's a question for the breed club?

There are blue staffords with 'good' pigmentation, i.e darker noses, eyes etc, but you're right, they're certainly not black black. Good question ... food for thought...

This is probably because when the standard was written people didn't know that genetically it was impossible to get a blue dog with black pigment.

This is probably because when the standard was written people didn't know that genetically it was impossible to get a blue dog with black pigment.

There is that, yes. But as the UK KC have recently stopped registrations of the merle colouration in Staffords, I'm surprised that they haven't altered the nose colouring part of the breed standard to reflect the blue colour that IS allowed.

Perhaps I'll ask 'em :rolleyes:

There is that, yes. But as the UK KC have recently stopped registrations of the merle colouration in Staffords, I'm surprised that they haven't altered the nose colouring part of the breed standard to reflect the blue colour that IS allowed.

Perhaps I'll ask 'em :cheer:

The KC do not change standards. The breed clubs change standards.

Once upon a time when standards were set it was basically a case of a handful of people stating their own colour preferences and so originated what colours would be accepted and others disqualified. Time has passed and it is a shame that the preferences of those individuals still have to be upheld....time to move on and I am sure that quite a few people would agree. There are such beautiful dogs in both type and conformation but simply because they are born of a colour that is not standard approved they are frowned upon.....

Things have changed over the decades....so what's the hold up? lol

Okay....for example...blue staffies are not welcomed in the show ring because of a supposedly "slate" nose....what the heck? so if that is a normal occurance in the breed it should be welcomed. It isn't as though they have something else in the mix....the same applies to other breeds disqualified from the show ring due to colouring because of some ancient decision.

Once upon a time when standards were set it was basically a case of a handful of people stating their own colour preferences what traits and characteristics, including but not limited to shape, size and colour were required to perform the task for which the dog was bred and so originated what colours among other attributes would be accepted and others disqualified. Time has passed and it is a shame that the preferences of those individuals still have to be upheld....time to move on continue to be slandered by people who either have not taken the time to understand why those decisions were made or who are deliberately ignorant of the same and I am sure that quite a few people would agree. There are such beautiful dogs in both type and conformation but simply because they are born of a colour that is not standard approved they are frowned upon..... There are a large number of beautiful, healthy and well bred dogs of all colours and types that it's highly unfortunate that the ones that are rare or disqualified are so appealing to people who would love to see particular breeds or traits which 'made' those breeds wiped out in favour of a 'different' pretty face.

Okay....for example...blue staffies are not welcomed in the show ring because of a supposedly "slate" nose....what the heck? so if that is a normal occurance in the breed it should be welcomed. It isn't as though they have something else in the mix....the same applies to other breeds disqualified from the show ring due to colouring because of some ancient decision.

I'd like to think that the views of the people who developed a breed and defined its standards are not irrelevant.

In some breeds, colour matters. In others it may be linked to highly undesireable genetic traits. A breed standard should not change to reflect the whims of the current generation of breeders.

Next you'll be telling us that breed function shouldn't matter because so many breeds no longer perform their original function.