Rare Or Disqualifed Colours In Breeds.

poodlefan

I personally would prefer that there was no such thing as inbreeding but unfortunately it is very much a reality as it is and as you would know, this isn't happening due to breeders concentrating on the colour factor.

Yet I seem to recall you might have a liking for Arabian horses?? If we want to talk inbreeding you can't them out if it, they have been tightly inbred for thousands of years - making them what they are now...

Sorry for more derailing... couldn't resist... :D

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally would prefer that there was no such thing as inbreeding but unfortunately it is very much a reality as it is and as you would know, this isn't happening due to breeders concentrating on the colour factor.

Yet I seem to recall you might have a liking for Arabian horses?? If we want to talk inbreeding you can't them out if it, they have been tightly inbred for thousands of years - making them what they are now...

Sorry for more derailing... couldn't resist... :)

Although I dont particularly favour inbreeding, I am certainly not against LINEBREEDING ! Why would you think that I am into arabian horses ???

AND whatever the case, just cause I remarked that I may not be a fan of INBREEDING does not mean that I should not be owning any animals simply because there may be a chance that they have been inbred :D

black and tan giant schnauzer. they used to be a recognised colour in the USA and Canada until the mid 80's when the colour was thought to have dropped out of favour

narniablackandtansheepstead1.jpg

black and silver giant

bsgiant.jpg

in this group is the white miniature, recognised on the UK breed standard since nov 1st 2010 but much longer under FCI

beanaradogs001.jpg

Ditto Rysup! :)

Chocolate TTs are gorgeous but excluded because the Tibetans found that choc-born pups died young so it was essentially "bad luck" to have a chocolate and exceptionally good luck to have a white Tibetan Terrier 'cos they generally have great black pigment which makes them less susceptible to skin cancer. :D Chocolates died young because they had lighter than usual pigment and got skin cancer - the Tibetans didn't know it of course but their assumptions were pretty smack on with genetics - simple really! ;)

Chocolate don't die now as we know about sunscreen! :)

how odd, my brothers first dog was a chocolate and tan chi. he died aged 16 with no cancers whatever and he was always outside as he just couldnt resist marking in the house. so mum gave him the boot, no more housedog for him

And your brothers' dog was a *Chihuahua* - not a Tibetan Terrier :D

Full stop, a Chihuahua could not survive in Tibet so surely it's understandable that a Chocolate coloured TT, with chocolate pigment and lighter eyes (which Choc TTs always have) living in the highest altitude in the world with the highest UV exposure - would die earlier due to cancer and also go blind younger and fall off the side of a cliff because of the lighter eyes.

Tibetan Terriers are considered an ancient breed so I'm pretty sure that over 2000 years, the Tibetans understood that a pup this colour was most definitely "unlucky"! :D

Those Labs don't look purebred at all. I think their heads are all wrong.

I love the different pointer colours. :confused:

They may not be well bred but brindle and tan pointing occurs in the breed.

Not sure I've added this before but I love this colour: Fox Red Labrador - its technically a yellow.

paddy.jpg

Edited by poodlefan