Rare Or Disqualifed Colours In Breeds.

poodlefan

Here is a photo of two all white NEWFOUNDLAND dogs.

They are Great Pyrenees and the owner of the blog where the photo comes from never says they are anything else.

Yes...some people just google for images find what they want to see and don't bother checking the information on the page the photo came from!

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...some people just google for images find what they want to see and don't bother checking the information on the page the photo came from!

:D People who google for images without checking what's on the page look like this. I think they'd be disqualified from the showring - doesnt really fit the standard...The colour is all wrong

http://thisactuallyhappened.typepad.com/.a...2f3d3970b-800wi

I don't know if black borzoi is rare or disqualifying colour. maybe it's both.

In Australia self black would be rare, but in other parts of the world it's not. It is not a disqualifying colour, any colour is acceptable and there are no disqualifying colours. Merle isn't known in the breed as far as I know. Nose should be black but even so if it were dark charcoal on a blue it would get by even in the show ring in most places. Missing or very light pigment would be a different matter.

Most of the Borzoi that look self black are heavily marked self black and brindles/black and tans with black masks. Dominant black from the K locus is rare everywhere I think. But quite acceptable. Hard to tell the difference just by sight sometimes :D Self colours can sometimes get a hard time in the show ring here, but mostly I think that is because judges aren't used to seeing them and the whites are so attractive.

Here is a self brindle from the wonderful Teine kennel in the US. Teine have great coloured 'zoi.

post-17178-1289443100_thumb.jpg

Edited by Diva

:D People who google for images without checking what's on the page look like this. I think they'd be disqualified from the showring - doesnt really fit the standard...The colour is all wrong

http://thisactuallyhappened.typepad.com/.a...2f3d3970b-800wi

:heart:

I thought I would throw another MERLE dog....just for good measure, lol.

Merle schnauzer.

That one is a cross breed! Even the breeders of them acknowledge that as fact. Also known as 'confetti schnauzers'

Yes but isn't that the case with all purebreds? All purebreds started off as a concoction of different breeds. Wouldn't take too long for merle schnauzers to breed "true"....

Ugh. I'm so sick of that argument.

Some breeds have been around for thousands of years - often older breeds were created not by mixing 'breeds' but rather breeding 2 dogs which had the traits they wanted i.e. were smaller or were good ratters or were fast... eventually this resulted (after many generations) in a true-breeding 'breed'. Yes some more recent dogs were created by crossing - BUT they were developing a breed by mixing certain TRAITS not just willy nilly adding a 'colour' in to make more $$$$. As someone said before in this thread - Selection is how new breeds are formed.

Most xbreds do not breed true, do not have a standard to which they are being bred and are bred as F1 crosses only (i.e. nobody is breeding generations of them to try and develop a breed).

Edited by MalteseLuna

I don't know if black borzoi is rare or disqualifying colour. maybe it's both.

In Australia self black would be rare, but in other parts of the world it's not. It is not a disqualifying colour, any colour is acceptable and there are no disqualifying colours. Merle isn't known in the breed as far as I know. Nose should be black but even so if it were dark charcoal on a blue it would get by even in the show ring in most places. Missing or very light pigment would be a different matter.

Most of the Borzoi that look self black are heavily marked self black and brindles/black and tans with black masks. Dominant black from the K locus is rare everywhere I think. But quite acceptable. Hard to tell the difference just by sight sometimes :heart: Self colours can sometimes get a hard time in the show ring here, but mostly I think that is because judges aren't used to seeing them and the whites are so attractive.

Here is a self brindle from the wonderful Teine kennel in the US. Teine have great coloured 'zoi.

post-17178-1289443100_thumb.jpg

Thank for that info. :D

What actually happens with the ignore button anyway??

I have never pressed it but am dying to know.

ooppss Sorry if I have gone off topic

It shows

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: Username.

· View this post

· Un-ignore Username

Instead of the post. I find it almost more irritating than just skimming over the post because you *know* they've said something stupid under it. And you *know* that you'll waste time clicking again to view the post. And you *know* you'll be more irritated when you find out that you were right and it was just rubbish. And then you have to fight the additional urge to reply because they've just annoyed you even more :D

Anaaaad it doesn't seem to work on the lo-fi version of the board.

I don't believe in breeding simply for the sake of breeding, I have harped on about this often....i.e. that breeding should be done to better the breed and not for commercial reasons.

Yet you appear to have issues with breeders breeding to the standard???

I don't really have issues with breeders breeding to the standard, all I am saying is that if a particular breed of dog can produce colours that are not necessarily part of today's standard, then perhaps we should revise the standard to allow for certain colours but still opting to breed for soundness and all that the standard stipulates although as everyone knows....some purebreds do leave a little or is that alot to be desired as far as 'soundness' is concerned.

So you are happy for breeders to.... (who simply because they can breed disqualifying colours and dont care about what they are doing.....) petition the Councils to change the standards?

Which side of the fence are you leaning towards?

If an issue within a certain breed points towards a colour problem, and that problem presents itself and causes that dog to have health issues then the dog will be unsound in some aspect. Soundness does not only refer to the construction of a dog. It also refers to the pyhsical and mental well-being of a dog.

I didnt get a reply to my post Moselle.

I am going to sit in a corner now and sulk.

Was so looking forward to hearing more about how you want disqualified colours included in the standards.

To me you sound like lots of unethical breeders who want to change the standards to suit THEIR breeding, simply because they dont know how to evaluate their breeding in th first place.

Sure everyones interpretation of the standards can differ to a point but to be honest I think you got lost somewhere on page 1.

It shows

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: Username.

· View this post

· Un-ignore Username

Instead of the post. I find it almost more irritating than just skimming over the post because you *know* they've said something stupid under it. And you *know* that you'll waste time clicking again to view the post. And you *know* you'll be more irritated when you find out that you were right and it was just rubbish. And then you have to fight the additional urge to reply because they've just annoyed you even more :shrug:

Anaaaad it doesn't seem to work on the lo-fi version of the board.

:D :confused: ;)

oh thanks for that

Now i know

IGNORE is our friend... :D

you dont see the posts of the person on ignore unless someone quotes them try it out...choose some one its easy to unignore them as well

Guys, as much as I personally disagree with some of the Moselle's posts, can we all just give her a break.

This was fun (maybe) at the beginning, but it is getting ridiculous and out of the control. It is enough if you just say you disagree with her once, and leave it at that.

If it upsets you that much, as somebody said, hit the ignore button.

Just a suggestion, you can shoot the messenger if you like, but I just had to say it. There. :D

Guys, as much as I personally disagree with some of the Moselle's posts, can we all just give her a break.

This was fun (maybe) at the beginning, but it is getting ridiculous and out of the control. It is enough if you just say you disagree with her once, and leave it at that.

If it upsets you that much, as somebody said, hit the ignore button.

Just a suggestion, you can shoot the messenger if you like, but I just had to say it. There. :D

Actually I think we are all having an adult discussion on this. :confused:

Moselle posted that she would like to see the DQ colours allowed in the breed standards.

The simple fact is that they are out there, but they are not in the standards for genuine reasons, so why introduce them. There is nothing to stop people from breeding these DQ colours as much as the ethical breeders dont want them to. Unethical breeders are doing so now and have been for years.

But they should not be included in the standards.

Here is a photo of two all white NEWFOUNDLAND dogs.

They are Great Pyrenees and the owner of the blog where the photo comes from never says they are anything else.

Yep. Doesnt take much too actually look at the site. hell if i google my full name, a rusty old car with bulletholes shows up.

I know that's not me. :D

Moselle; I truely cannot wait for the day you leave this forum. Everytime I see your name on here I sigh.

knowing your up to no good and stirring everyone up with your opinions that have to be seperated to everyone elses

[quote name='stonebridge' date='11th Nov 2010 - 04:50 PM' post='4949030'

I didnt get a reply to my post Moselle.

I am going to sit in a corner now and sulk.

Was so looking forward to hearing more about how you want disqualified colours included in the standards.

To me you sound like lots of unethical breeders who want to change the standards to suit THEIR breeding, simply because they dont know how to evaluate their breeding in th first place.

Sure everyones interpretation of the standards can differ to a point but to be honest I think you got lost somewhere on page 1.

I can only speak for my breed as I haven't researched the others. But yes I believe that the allowed colours in border collies should be changed. It makes no sense to allow a blue merle but not a chocolate merle. A black tri but not a chocolate tri. Blue is allowed but not lilac. etc etc