Rare Or Disqualifed Colours In Breeds.

poodlefan

Actually I think we are all having an adult discussion on this. :confused:

Moselle posted that she would like to see the DQ colours allowed in the breed standards.

The simple fact is that they are out there, but they are not in the standards for genuine reasons, so why introduce them. There is nothing to stop people from breeding these DQ colours as much as the ethical breeders dont want them to. Unethical breeders are doing so now and have been for years.

But they should not be included in the standards.

I know what she posted, I actually read it all. And I do agree with the majority here having always owned (or being owned by) purebred dogs. :D

I just had enough of it and would very much like to go back to rare colours in purebred dogs. If possible.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a photo of two all white NEWFOUNDLAND dogs.

They are Great Pyrenees and the owner of the blog where the photo comes from never says they are anything else.

Yep. Doesnt take much too actually look at the site. hell if i google my full name, a rusty old car with bulletholes shows up.

I know that's not me. :D

Moselle; I truely cannot wait for the day you leave this forum. Everytime I see your name on here I sigh.

knowing your up to no good and stirring everyone up with your opinions that have to be seperated to everyone elses

I believe someone's already suggested the ignore button.

a family from my work has a black and tan stafford, gorgeous little dog she is, best temp of any dog ive ever met. They bred her themselves, but they decided to keep her themselves so now one would try breeding "rare coloured" puppies from her.

The self black Borzoi can be spectacular. Majove Bohemia Kennels in Czech have some stunning dogs, they are just lovely.

http://www.borzoimajovebohemia.wz.cz/index1.htm

Under FCI standard blue and chocolate are disq. in Borzoi. But not here. I think what gets commonly called blue and blue brindle in Aust might be geneticlly types of grey, but not too sure.

Diva? Can you help me on that one?

Once again, do you need to SPOIL this thread with your false allegations?

Moselle the only one spoiling this thread is you.

If you don't like what someone has said ignore it. There's no reason to be replying to absolutely every body in a thread that has a differing opinion from you!

I am not replying to everyone due to differing opinions, MB. I am replying as a means to defend myself esp from the same posters who have a habit of misconstruing everything I say and making a point of singling me out even though others say the exact same thing as myself!

Hey I don't actually disagree with everything you've said or agree with everything been said by everyone else. I understand that this forum is devoted to pure breeds but I'm not entirely up to scratch on how they decide on the standard for breeds (like don't get me started on GSD with roach backs or dogs with squashed faces and curly tails - you know they worry about breeding dogs with too much white or whatever in case they have hearing problems, but spinal and breathing problems are just fine etc and etc) and/or how you could go about inventing a new breed if you felt so inclined.

But, let me tell you something that I (like you it seems) learned the hard way, this forum is not the place to talk about it. If you have general dog questions, want to see nice pictures of dogs and get training tips, this is the place to come. Anything else, well these people are very protective of their chosen interest and whether you agree with everything or not, this is a forum devoted to that single purpose and so it's not really fair to ruin it for them. It's like going to a Holden site and asking why they don't incorporate Ford - they're just not interested and you can't convince them otherwise. They're not targeting you personally so much as they just target anyone who challenges their views - point is you don't have to agree with them, but this forum is just not the place to discuss it. I'm still not very liked so I can't help you achieve that, but if you don't want to be attacked (and believe me, there are plenty of people here who will attack you vigorously), let it go. I love dogs and though I'm not 100% set on the whole purebred thing, I haven't found a more comprehensive or active Australian forum, so it's worth making compromises and following the rules to hang around.

Love this thread with the exception of this aspect.

The self black Borzoi can be spectacular. Majove Bohemia Kennels in Czech have some stunning dogs, they are just lovely.

Nice web site :o

I think the blues here are versions of either sable or brindle.

Not sure about how grey figures in, but my understanding is pretty limited. It seems you can get some pretty funky looking effects when sable, black overlays or brindling combine with modifiers affecting colour intensity but I get lost very quickly :laugh: . There is an 'argent' silver shade that isn't a dilute, but I'm not certain of the genetics.

I don't know of any dilute blues in Australia (doesn't mean there aren't any of course) but I have seen one true dilute blue in the US, years ago. I'm not sure chocolate occurs at all in the breed (unless cross-bred) and dilute blue must be very,very uncommon. Personally I am very happy for it to stay that way and I don't mind the fci approach of DQing them. But I love the sables and selfs that have been part of the breed forever. And the black and tans :). The fci standard didn't used to be keen on 'sharp' tan markings, not DQ then but list as a fault, I've never been convinced on the logic behind that one.

Edited by Diva

Do Border Collies come in Blue Merle? I saw someone with a beautiful blue merle dog and asked what breed it was and thats what they told me.

This was a Blue Tri Colour merle BC that was surrendered in WA. She was from a breeder in Adelaide.

post-8484-1289485018_thumb.jpg

Edited by CassandBel

...and another for unusual colouring (although he is a mix Koolie x Huntaway).

What would you call this colour? I am saying Blue/Red Merle but thats a huge guess :laugh:

post-8484-1289486050_thumb.jpg

post-8484-1289486144_thumb.jpg

Blue Merle with tan. Similar to that of an Austrailan Shepherd, Border Collie or Sheltie lacking white markings.

If he has white, he'd be a tri colour Blue merle

Edited by Parkeyre

The fci standards isn't keen on 'sharp' tan markings, doesn't DQ then but lists as a fault, I've never been convinced on the logic behind that one.

Really? I've never read that one. I know there are issues with flecking in different colours, and with the blue and chocolate.

This is a colour you don't see much of these days, which is a shame:

Falconcrag.jpgfalconcrag_krassai.jpg

But it is a stunning colour on a good dog, and one I'm particularly partial to... :D

But it is a stunning colour on a good dog, and one I'm particularly partial to... :o

It's a lovely colour! :D

I've edited my post to change the tense, comes from posting too late at night. I think they've dropped the reference in the current standard. It was in earlier versions and English translations of Russian standards. Although it sensibly didn't seem to stop black and tans being successful in the ring in Europe even then.

In the newfie world there are also several colours Allowed Black, black and white and brown.......greys, brown and white (unlike the black and white landseers) are not accepted in the showring. and I have even seen a brindle ( sorry no pic)

post-29071-1289655618_thumb.jpg

post-29071-1289655784_thumb.jpg

Edited by newfsie