Rare Or Disqualifed Colours In Breeds.

poodlefan

...and another for unusual colouring (although he is a mix Koolie x Huntaway).

What would you call this colour? I am saying Blue/Red Merle but thats a huge guess :rofl:

post-8484-1289486050_thumb.jpg

post-8484-1289486144_thumb.jpg

Wow, he is gorgeous! I've mostly only ever seen black & tan huntaways, never anything as exotic as a merle, so I'm guessing the merle must have come from the koolie parent? But of course it's not a registered breed, so no one who breeds them would care if they were pink so long as they worked really well. :rainbowbridge: I love huntaways, they're fantastic working dogs.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Do these count as rare?

imagesCA1KJZY7.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

imagesCANRA2FI.jpg

Ah yes, the "Flourescent" poodle - especially bred to infiltrate 70's concert audiences :thumbsup:

IGNORE is our friend... :)

What actually happens with the ignore button anyway??

I have never pressed it but am dying to know.

ooppss Sorry if I have gone off topic

The "ignore" button stops one getting steamed up when reading a particularly idiotic or offensive comment & posting something equally as idiotic or offensive in reply (usually after a couple of wines :D ). Very useful in preventing one being sent on a "DOLiday"

Some great pics! I must be an old traditionalist :D or maybe just old, lol. Think I'll stick with the standard colours although the Panda Shep. was tempting. First time I've seen a pic of a smooth Affie, think I'll take the coated ones. Not many raries in the breeds I'm mainly associated with now - Min Pins, Border Terriers, Silkies.

Alyosha - I think there was a lovely tri Borzoi shown in Victoria many years ago, from the Gippsland area.

There were quite a few heavily marked tris being shown in Australia in the 80s and 90s, often from Zomahli (UK) lines, or from the import Baccaret Summer Storm.

There are several in the ring currently around the country, but mostly with more white on them than Alyosha's pics.

efs

Edited by Diva

This would have been earlier than that - probably the 70s. Damn it's not nice remembering back that far and further :laugh:

I wonder if it was Summer Storm himself. I can't recall where he lived and am too lazy to go look it up but that would have around his time I think.

I think it's nice to remember that far back in dogs, it gives a broader perspective.

These are marked as white scottish terrier. The first one looks more like a very pale wheaten, but second one looks more like a white.

imagesCA0YN6E7.jpg

imagesCA2UG68E.jpg

Interesting photos Felix...here are a couple more...photos taken from old postcards showing a white Scottish Terrier, the second photo shows a Wheaten (they ALL look pretty feral dogs, check out all those black beady eyes in the first photo :laugh: )

post-26505-1292234555_thumb.jpg post-26505-1292234574_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boronia

Alyosha - I think there was a lovely tri Borzoi shown in Victoria many years ago, from the Gippsland area.

I think I have a mental image of that one.

There's a new one being shown in the Southern NSW / Canberra area... :laugh: But he's still only a baby...

Stack18wks.jpg

I think I have a mental image of that one.

There's a new one being shown in the Southern NSW / Canberra area... ;) But he's still only a baby...

Stack18wks.jpg

:laugh: ;) :p if this pic isn't in the sighthound forum then it needs to be. he's looking good.

...and another for unusual colouring (although he is a mix Koolie x Huntaway).

What would you call this colour? I am saying Blue/Red Merle but thats a huge guess ;)

post-8484-1289486050_thumb.jpg

post-8484-1289486144_thumb.jpg

Wow, he is gorgeous! I've mostly only ever seen black & tan huntaways, never anything as exotic as a merle, so I'm guessing the merle must have come from the koolie parent? But of course it's not a registered breed, so no one who breeds them would care if they were pink so long as they worked really well. :D I love huntaways, they're fantastic working dogs.

I would say the coolie x would be a blue merle tri. My boy is a blue merle tri - he has a blue merle body with ginger legs . My new girl is a red merle tri. Just because the coolie isn't registered doesn't mean that people don't care what they look like, they are becoming popular outside working homes and in the right home are awesome dogs. and people are working on trying to get them registered just takes a while :)

I don't get it. From that photo, it just looks like the pigment is not black or it's just a bad photo in bad light.

The nose is definitely depigmented.

The angle of the photo keeps the light from illuminating his most distingusihing feature.

The colour (lack of colour) is clearer here.

post-3970-1292238448_thumb.jpg

Edited by pewithers

I don't get it. From that photo, it just looks like the pigment is not black or it's just a bad photo in bad light.

The nose is definitely depigmented.

The angle of the photo keeps the light from illuminating his most distingusihing feature.

The colour (lack of colour) is clearer here.

well perhaps you should have posted a pic than clearly demonstrated the fault in the first place